Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,157 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't affect their existing agreement in my area with Pod Point. I use the Aldi pod points every now and then and have been happy with them. Plus Pod Point at Aldi is free. I imagine Newmotion won't be.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I cannot understand this, since only Zoe's can make use of the 22KW AC type 2's, and yet there is constant doom and gloom about the survival of CHADeMO.

I see more Leafs than Zoe's on the roads tho, just seems odd?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
I cannot understand this, since only Zoe's can make use of the 22KW AC type 2's, and yet there is constant doom and gloom about the survival of CHADeMO.

Because AC destination points are cheaper and more and more cars are coming on the market with three phase chargers.

Zoe currently outsells the Leaf in Europe. It don’t worry you can still charge the Leaf as the are untethered points.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Because AC destination points are cheaper and more and more cars are coming on the market with three phase chargers.

Zoe currently outsells the Leaf in Europe. It doesn’t worry you can still charge the Leaf as the are untethered points.
But we're not in Europe......... ;)

Good job I didn't try plugging my Leaf into one (with adapter).

·
Registered
636 Posts
I noticed when I read the blurb that the customer sets the tariff... so if they are happy with free pod point access they may also be happy to offer free access ro these.. at least in the short term.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Other EVs can still pull 7-11kW from a 22kW post.
The newly rebuilt Aldi on the west side of Chester has chargepoints. I was unable to see whose they were due to an ICEhole van driver.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Type 1 is a single phase plug, so a Type 2 to Type 1 adapter (not recommended for other reasons) would only transfer one of the phases to the car. Thus on a 22 kw AC three phase you could only charge at most at 7 kw.

On a car with a single phase charger the pins on the Type 2 socket for the other two phases would be not connected to anything so only one phase would be passed to the car.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I shop at Aldi becouse it is quick. Does anyone spend long enough in Aldi for a AC "charger" to be useful?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I guess if it was a 22kw it would depend.if u have a Zoe.. when I shop prob therefor at least 30 mins so 11kw would be a nice little top up.. but only if free... or less than 8p/kw as that's what I pay on Eco 7

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Why would you need an adapter? If you have a Type 1 Leaf, then your cable would be Type 2 to Type 1 anyway. And why would you have a problem with plugging into one?

And we will always be in Europe. Or did you mean the EU?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I shop at Aldi becouse it is quick. Does anyone spend long enough in Aldi for a AC "charger" to be useful?
Exactly, not much of a destination to spend many hours at. :devilish: Most of the car parks are limited to 90 minutes so expect lots of agrieved people in the near future.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Look at it another way. Its a short distance away from your home. You drive there, and get back enough charge to cover your journey to and from the supermarket, so essentially drove there and back for free.

Especially for someone like me who doesn't have the ability to charge at home, I basically plug in wherever I see an empty charging post.

·
Premium Member
11,450 Posts
Exactly, not much of a destination to spend many hours at. :devilish: Most of the car parks are limited to 90 minutes so expect lots of agrieved people in the near future.
I got a parking ticket in an Aldi years ago when charging my Ampera at 3kW. I had cleared extended stay with staff once I had done my shopping and went for a coffee elsewhere. I did manage to get it cancelled.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Why would you need an adapter? If you have a Type 1 Leaf, then your cable would be Type 2 to Type 1 anyway. And why would you have a problem with plugging into one?

And we will always be in Europe. Or did you mean the EU?
I assumed they would be tethered like the one I saw at a local garage, hence the adapter.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I assumed they would be tethered like the one I saw at a local garage, hence the adapter.
We're just talking about a basic 22kW AC Charging post here. Other than the 22kW/43kW Type 2 cables tethered to rapid chargers, it is VERY rare to find any charging posts with tethered cables in the UK.

As long as you have your Type 1-Type 2 cable you're good to go, but will only charge at up to 6.6kW with your LEAF.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
There's a problem with tethered Type 2 cables on rapids in that new owners who don't know any better will plug into the AC port on their car because that's what they do at home, when they should be using the rapid charger. I remember reading on this forum that a new owner did just that, until some kind soul showed him he could remove the cover on the DC pins of his CCS socket. The handover at the dealer's failed to explain that.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully this doesn't affect their existing agreement in my area with Pod Point. I use the Aldi pod points every now and then and have been happy with them. Plus Pod Point at Aldi is free. I imagine Newmotion won't be.
This looks like NewMotion will be supplying new Aldi sites going forward, and not replacing the Pod Points at existing sites.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This might be a daft question but is it possible to use a charger either a CCS or like above a 22kw post at Aldi but connect to some adaptor to chademo??
Would this charge quicker on my leaf?? Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that thought??

1 - 20 of 68 Posts