Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on Next Green Car's Green Car ratings?

I guess I have a problem with rating that don't publish source data. I cant help feeling there are many errors in the ratings.

Apparently this was an error, and is the Porsche is now corrected to 46...

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Also how can the Prius be 27 and the Ampera be 32?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Also how can the Prius be 27 and the Ampera be 32?
Partly because the Ampera is less efficient than the Prius in petrol/charge sustaining mode, and partly because the emissions from from an Ampera using electricity in a market with a dirty grid are/could be slightly higher than a Prius burning petrol depending on exactly what you do and don't want to count.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Partly because the Ampera is less efficient than the Prius in petrol/charge sustaining mode, and partly because the emissions from from an Ampera using electricity in a market with a dirty grid are/could be slightly higher than a Prius burning petrol depending on exactly what you do and don't want to count.
To drive a distance for an i3 to get 471 mpg the Prius must be much less efficiant than the Ampera.
They must work these figuers out with a dice or a random number generator as they are not reflected in the real world

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Yes the NEDC mpg number is an estimated composite assuming you will drive mainly electric miles with some petrol in the Ampera, almost entirely electric with very rare petrol miles in the i3 Rex, and about 2 electric miles to 1 petrol mile for the outlander PHEV. It doesn't tell you anything about how much electricity you will use, which is silly when that's the primary fuel of the vehicle!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and partly because the emissions from from an Ampera using electricity in a market with a dirty grid are/could be slightly higher than a Prius burning petrol depending on exactly what you do and don't want to count.
I'd like to count 38,000 Pollution deaths NOT caused by CARBON DIOXIDE. Grid power is cleaner than petrol every single way you look at it. Don't let yourself get blinkered by CO2 figures.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I'd like to count 38,000 Pollution deaths NOT caused by CARBON DIOXIDE. Grid power is cleaner than petrol every single way you look at it. Don't let yourself get blinkered by CO2 figures.
I saw some convincing research which said a Prius on petrol was less polluting than a Leaf on the dirtiest type of coal, but only just.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw some convincing research which said a Prius on petrol was less polluting than a Leaf on the dirtiest type of coal, but only just.
Dirty being solely CO2 figures? - Therein lies the problem. CO2 is simply a greenhouse gas, It is contributing to global warming, but it is not a toxic pollutant, it is not one of the chemicals responsible for the 38,000 uk pollution deaths.

Sulphate scrubbing at UK power plants is highly efficient, No treatment what so ever is used on vehicles. Electrostatic Precipitators are 99.9% efficient at PM10 Capture at UK power plants, On vehicles DPF's are token compliance efforts but are defeated as soon as you use an accelerator.. Petrol cars are fitted with Catalytic Convertors but why are they fitting lower efficiency* units? is it because CO (toxic) doesn't count as much as CO2 (non toxic). So even running on Grid from coal is better for the nations health than burning so much oil so close to people. for every person living and working within 100m of a power station exhaust there are 1000 within 10m of a vehicle exhaust.

*See http://www.jaffacake.net/dx/smmt-2011

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Total c**bler* , BMW have clearly learned how to manipulate the figures to their great advantage with an MPG for the i8 of 113mpg and CO2 of 59g/km despite an electric range of 22 miles (BMW's figures). LOL.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So in the last week on here we've heard of those evil BMW folk exaggerating data in their press releases, bribing journalists and now fabricating efficiency data. What will we learn next?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts