Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after my mostly succesful trip to Newcastle and back (360 miles) I've been thinking about my next journey. A lot shorter distance this time but the chargers are few and far between. We're off to manchester at christmas time to the panto and I wanted to take the leaf. The easiest way is via chesterfield and over the A6 coming out at 63 miles.

I feel thats going to be cutting it fine in winter seeing as there is little contingency to charge and the road is very unforgiving/hilly etc

There are two hotels/guest houses in Buxton that show as having Zero Carbon World charging stations, But I've not contacted them yet to see if they would allow me to drop in to charge or they would expect me to spend the night.

Does anyone have any better ideas other than taking the ICE? I've joined CYC especially to use the car parks in the city to charge :)

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Interesting problem. I've been over the peaks a few times and this distance is generally OK for me with a careful drive. But then we have different cars.
How unsure are you that you'd make it?
A few thoughts:
- would an early top up at Tibshelf be enough to get you there?
- as you suggest, phone the b&b and hotel before you leave, explain what you're up to and ask if they'd mind you dropping in for a short top up. I've done this at some holiday cottages before and it was no problem. You could even have a coffee stop at the hotel.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Would consider 63 miles to be comfortably within range in your Tekna - it is gen 2. Driving very carefully in the winter found I was reliably able to get into the high 90's per charge. Driving it less carefully makes less difference than imagined by me. Head wind and heavy rain more of a difference than temp by itself but still up in 90's. You have the heat pump as well so little loss of range for heating / demisting too.

I would go for it, sounds like a perfect use of destination charging. You have the upgraded onboard charger so if you can find a type 2 32 amp near by, in the time you are at the show you should be fully charged. Drive with your percentage showing. Should be able to get close to 1% per mile. What I lose climbing steep Shropshire Hills at reasonable speed I find I pretty much get back coming down the hill.

A word of warning. Found a new type 2'Chargrmaster post that only appears to charge at 16amp here in Telford Asda. Worth checking if you can.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Alternatively if the weather looks poor, how about the A50/M6, rapid charging at Shardlow and Keele? but you might need backup plans in case the chargers are down.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys

I agree on paper it should be easy, especially as most it will be at 50mph. I've done 74 miles from 84% to --- so it
should be possible its just the lack of back up I don't like. I suppose I've always got the AA as back up. I don't like the prospect of sitting at the side of the road on the peaks in December :(

I looked at the A50/M6 route but that makes it over 100 miles door to door

I might attempt the journey on my own before hand to see how I get on

There is plenty of public 7KW charging in Manchester so that shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
216 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem via A6, there is also 24hr rapid charging available in Manchester now, accessed by CYC card on GMEV network. Assuming they are repaired by Christmas that is!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Safe option of going straight up the M1 and swing round the M62 with rapid at Ikea Leeds? Be quicker than the A roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts