Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted this little surprise this morning.

Drivers rear wheel arch has a scuff, and the panel isn't sitting quite right.

Shouldnt be a big issue and I've informed the dealer, but an irritation nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
PDIs miss loads of stuff. I got a new Polo back in 1999, Diamond black. There was a perfect straight crease in the wheel arch, as if it had been erroneously pressed at the factory, with a perfect paint finish on top. I went back to the dealership and they agreed that it must've been done at the factory and missed by PDI. They resprayed it 3 times once getting the crease out, but I could always see the resprayed area. In hindsight I should've rejected it. But I was naive back then.

Most of these issues are discovered the first time the buyer washes their car.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Big advantage in collecting a Tesla three months or so after the first batch arrived here was that the fact they don't PDI the cars and that defects were pretty commonly discussed on the Tesla Motors forum. Meant that I went to pick mine up knowing I'd need to check it carefully for defects. Needn't have worried, the paint chips and scuffs were so bad I could see them from the other side of the collection area . . .

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, that first picture of alloy, with the scuff visible, was taken 2 hours after collection. I'm not that bad a driver!

The deer has been very helpful so far, I'm sure he'll put this right.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also this car had the quickest PDI inspection in history. It rolled off the transporter at 2:45 and I collected it at 5pm.

I requested that they didn't give it a clean and polish as I didn't trust them not to make a mess of it. So that may have contributed to them missing this.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
713 Posts
That scrape is a definite pain in the backside, looks like some the the plastics been worn away as well.

What am I missing in photo 3? 🤷🏽

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,853 Posts
Obviously the car has been hit, the question is where?

Even though you said you requested that they didn't give it a clean and polish, they must have done something to it after taking off the protective covering. The minimum would be a wash. You spot everything when you wash a car.

The obvious thing to me, it was done while parked at the dealers.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They did give it a very quick wash, I knew by the dried on dirty water...

I don't know if it happened on the boat from Germany, on the transporter north or at the dealers.

All I know is they'll need to sort it out!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You never know what might've happened to your new car on the way to the dealers. I found out at almost 3 years old that at least 1 of the Pretoria wheels on my Golf R had been refinished. My wife scraped one of the wheels, and when I went for a refurb (powder coating), the refurber showed me that it had been repaired (cross section of 5 paint layers instead of the expected 3 layers - they hadn't stripped the old paint). It had never been out of my hands for more than 1/2 a day for servicing - not enough time for a powder coat and cure. Must've been done prior to when I bought it new.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That tiny scuff on a corner looks to me like the rear bumper has been off (or its a replacement one) and the bumper has been briefly dragged on the floor on that very corner before being fitted/refitted - there's directlional scraping down to the black plastic core.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I thought the same, on close up you can see the lines in it.

That would also tie in with the fact that the panel isn't seated correctly. Someone knocked it loose and damaged the paint, then hastily shoved it back into place.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We rented our college car paint facility to the local vag dealer one summer, we had a car park full of damaged brand new vw and audi cars, from wee scuffs like this to huge holes punched in the qtr panels, all "fixed" prior to delivery to the customer. Dozens and dozens of them, I could not believe how many needed work.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Compared with other cars around I wouldn’t even worry about it.
Oh, I remember the VAG lot wading in on Model 3 threads about how their panel gaps were perfect and PDIs were a thing.

How could anyone possibly consider buying a Tesla!

Now it’s perfectly acceptable.

I swear no-one ever mentioned panel gaps before Tesla turned up.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ (2021 Model)
43 Posts
You can also check if panels have been sprayed using a meter to check the thickness of paint applied to each panel which should be about the same all over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts