Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set the car to pre-heat this morning from the app. No frost when I set off which was great, but I still had to a slow touch screen for the first few minutes of driving. It would be nice if the car's computers started up when you turn pre-heat on to reduce the lag when you set off. I also got the front assist not available warning, perhaps it's heater could be turned on at the same time as the cabin heater.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Gosh you've opened a can of worms here!
1) dedicated button to allow air recirculation toggling on/off.
2) separate buttons for opening/closing rear windows.
3) 12V accessory socket (cigarette lighter type) in the very front of console, so I can stick a voltmeter in see the 12V status constantly.
4) Display the HV battery SOC along with Miles Range info.
5) On a trip, display the GM remaining miles alongside the Satnav miles-to-go, so I can easily judge how much safety margin I have.
6) Drivers sun visor needs indentation in roof lining so I can operate it with right hand, and not have to reach over to the left. It already has a suitable indentation there, so fine for LHD vehicles.
7) Fixed "Back" button on the screen menus. Damn thing's there in some panels, not others, so I have to go back to the master choice & re-select Navigation/whatever.
8) I'm sure I'll think of some more, after I've made a few more trips in it...

edit: +1 for the sound Mute button below. badly needed.
9) glovebox that's a proper size to hold large emergency flashing torch, rather that something the size of a *** packet. Why should I have to fill the driver's/passenger's door pocket with something I need accessible in a hurry, but only very occasionally?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I like the electric window buttons being as they are! I think it’s a clever way to stop people accidentally opening the rear ones.

I’d add,
  1. A steering wheel button option to mute the volume. Maybe pressing volume up and down simultaneously or something. There are lots of times during driving when you may want to suddenly mute all the sound to concentrate on a driving situation. Having to do it through the menu system or by just lowering the volume gradually doesn’t cut it.
  2. CarPlay navigation on the ID.Light.
  3. Better navigation on the ID.Light in general too - motorway exits for example!
  4. Ability the map the driving modes to specific ambient light colours for the automatic setting.
  5. Integration with Apple Maps EV routing feature.
  6. Unlocking/locking from the app.
  7. Ability to set a +/- amount to the automatic speed limit thing for the ACC. Maybe if I were someone who would break the law - and to be clear, I definitely am not - I would want to set it to be +5 over what the speed limit is automatically.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, I'd like a 12V socket in the front. Perhaps VW could put the 12V battery voltage on the screen, a time voltage graph would be great.

I'd also like to see the ACC camera additionally used as a dash cam. Failing that a USB C socket by the rear view mirror would make fitting a dash cam simpler.

Speakers in the rear!

Leather type fabric on the edges of the seats, the light coloured cloth fabric on my 1st edition is going to get grubby quickly.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,674 Posts
These comments about 12V monitoring: This is will be completely unnecessary when the software glitches are fixed.

It will be very interesting to see what changes come to the ID.3 with it's first hardware refresh in a few years time. I'm hoping for a step back from touch controls to real button again.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
These comments about 12V monitoring: This is will be completely unnecessary when the software glitches are fixed.

It will be very interesting to see what changes come to the ID.3 with it's first hardware refresh in a few years time. I'm hoping for a step back from touch controls to real button again.
I quite like the touch controls. The haptics on the steering wheel are very strong.

I tend to like all the stuff that everyone hates about the ID.3 it seems... clearly I bought the right car for me! :D

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
12V monitoring is just one use of that socket. And yes, you would think it's unnecessary. But it's amazing just how many EVs still seem to chew their way through these old lead-acid things! Hyundais & ID.3s to name one bunch today. My ancient but still perfectly serviceable emergency flashlight has a 12V plug to recharge it, which fits these accessory sockets. I expect lots of us have things that fit these, so why not supply one? a 5V USB socket is no use whatsoever to recharge my flashlight inside the car. There's one in the boot, for the tyre pump. I hope the pump lead reaches from there, right to the front wheels, must go & check this.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,600 Posts
I hope the pump lead reaches from there, right to the front wheels, must go & check this.
My ID.3 didn’t come with a 12v pump, not sure if it should have done or not, but I have a much better Michelin branded one that I’ve stuck in the boot anyway.

Funnily enough, I found out the other day that it doesn’t reach the front wheels from the 12v accessory socket in the boot! I need to get the soldering iron and shrink wrap out and extend the cable so that it does.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
My ID.3 didn’t come with a 12v pump, not sure if it should have done or not, but I have a much better Michelin branded one that I’ve stuck in the boot anyway.

Funnily enough, I found out the other day that it doesn’t reach the front wheels from the 12v accessory socket in the boot! I need to get the soldering iron and shrink wrap out and extend the cable so that it does.
I also have my own pump that I have had for a few years and it also has a torch built in, haven't tested it to see if it reaches from the boot socket to all tires yet. Previous usage was on cars with a 12v socket between the front seats.

I was surprised to read in the ID.3 manual that it came with one and I'd be shocked if the VW supplied one did not reach all the tires when they know where the 12v socket is located.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,600 Posts
I also have my own pump that I have had for a few years and it also has a torch built in, haven't tested it to see if it reaches from the boot socket to all tires yet. Previous usage was on cars with a 12v socket between the front seats.

I was surprised to read in the ID.3 manual that it came with one and I'd be shocked if the VW supplied one did not reach all the tires when they know where the 12v socket is located.
Nothing in mine, just a locking wheel nut key, tow hook, wheel cap removal hook and the plastic stud for mounting wheels.

It does have AirStop tyres from the factory though, I guess they think that negates the need for sealant and a pump that most VWs come with?

My e-Golf came with a pump, but first time I tried to use it it blew the fuse for the accessory socket. 🙄 Second time it did the same, so to avoid the insanity trap I chucked it in the bin. I’ve got a few in the shed from cars over the years anyway.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
I have no issue with the single set of window buttons for front and rear. The only time I opened the rear windows in my previous cars was to cool the car down when it had been sitting in the sun. With the ability to start AC from my phone now I can cool the car before I get in (hopefully :) ).

I'm hoping for any new features that can be added via software updates to my existing car, rather than new hardware in later models. So more efficiency, less lag on infotainment system (improvements seen in 2.0 but could be better) especially when the car is starting. I agree that a mute option for the audio would be very handy.

I'd like the option to turn off the brake lights when "Auto Hold" is active and holding the car still. If the car is stationary I see no need for the brake lights, just annoys folks behind you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
haven't tested it to see if it reaches from the boot socket to all tires yet
Mine doesn't reach. Haven't looked into solutions yet, possibly an extender for the socket or possibly a USB-C to 12v socket converter (if such a thing exists).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It would be great if the ID we connect app told you if the car was locked. There have been several occasions when I've left the car and then doubted if I've locked it!
Yes, basic app functionality this. I will be amazed if it doesn't come in a future software update.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
Mine doesn't reach. Haven't looked into solutions yet, possibly an extender for the socket or possibly a USB-C to 12v socket converter (if such a thing exists).
What is the point of VW supplying a pump that isn’t fit for purpose? Or are you referring to a non VW pump? I’ll need to see if either of mine can reach.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
It would be great if the ID we connect app told you if the car was locked. There have been several occasions when I've left the car and then doubted if I've locked it!
I'm sure it will, the e-Golf app does. I'm expecting it to show the driving data like the Golf does once the software on the car is working fully.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What is the point of VW supplying a pump that isn’t fit for purpose? Or are you referring to a non VW pump? I’ll need to see if either of mine can reach.
It's my own , not a VW one. I don't think my car came with a pump (can't check, as it's been back at the dealers for 18 days & counting...)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts