Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick Clegg has admitted that electric cars are unsuitable for ordinary families, just days after announcing a £500 million investment in green vehicles.

The Deputy Prime Minister, who has three children, has been accused of hypocrisy after admitting he does not drive an electric vehicle because manufacturers do not produce “family-sized, people carrier cars”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/10800923/Nick-Clegg-Electric-cars-arent-suitable-for-my-family.html

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm pretty certain that I've managed to squeeze my three children (age 17, 15 & 11) plus my wife and me into my Leaf quite comfortably.
Sure, it's not a "people carrier" but it's definitely a family sized car.

And then there's the new Outlander PHEV...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
plonker.. he should have at least looked at them, I bet there really is something suitable for him...

The Tesla can come with rear facing child seats in the back too it really is a 7 seater.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To be fair to him - the plug-in EV options for larger sized family cars are more limited at present. With three children, they'd need three full-sized seats for child-seats, so are limited to larger two-row options for now.
I'd be really interested to see if Nissan created an EV Qashqai - to see how many it sold.

Just because people don't need big "Chelsea tractors" and the like - doesn't mean there isn't a substantial market for it!

Similarly, I'm looking for a comfortable, yet affordable sedan-sized EV car with a 150 mile range (EV Octavia maybe?) for my commute and longer trips.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know what benefits he might get, but generally I think this is one area where reducing the tax incentive on company car purchase too early is IMO a bad idea. The financial benefit is a huge attraction, but once actually in use/being driven it will increase the number of people who know and understand EVs in situations where they can make a difference in the decision making process which could benefit the EV market as a who

Agree? Disagree?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Yes the BIK tax rate should be locked in for (say) five years from the car entering service. A Leaf or even a Model S is very attractive today but if you are required to keep the car for five years by your company you could be in for an extremely expensive shock :(

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nick Clegg once again proves he is a total moron. Oh well he'll shortly disappear into obscurity.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't know what benefits he might get, but generally I think this is one area where reducing the tax incentive on company car purchase too early is IMO a bad idea. The financial benefit is a huge attraction, but once actually in use/being driven it will increase the number of people who know and understand EVs in situations where they can make a difference in the decision making process which could benefit the EV market as a who

Agree? Disagree?
Couldn't agree more! When I was changing my company car, the single biggest factor for me was the BIK incentive. The lease for my Ampera is more per month than my Audi was, but I am paying BIK on 5% instead of 19% of the value.

The fact that I was certain when I leased the vehicle (4 year lease) what the BIK would be for the whole length of the lease (5% for 3 1/2 years, then 7% for the last 6 months) gave me the certainty to take the vehicle. If I hadn't had that certainty, I definitely would NOT have taken an EV - it's a 4 year commitment, and you have to be able to budget.

(That's been a lot of the reason for my anger towards Chargemaster - 6 weeks notice of the new pricing just isn't enough for people to budget)

The BIK incentive was never going to stay, but in my opinion it is being phased out too quickly (5% till April 2016, then 7%, 9%, 13% from April 2018). That will increase the monthly tax cost of having the car almost 3-fold, and the same for the fuel. Because BIK is a percentage of the list price of the car (BEFORE the government grant), 13% of £36k compared with 19% of £20k for a Golf would probably tip the balance against EV when I renew my lease in 2016.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts