Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's worth shopping around for night time electricity as we have just signed up with sainsbury at 5.04p per KWH during the night and 14.29 at day rate, the daily charge is 26.01p per day but it is still the best rate I have found for us.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is pretty similar to Ecotricity. Personally, as it wouldn't be costing very much more, I would suggest you to use Ecotricity instead as all their electricity is from renewables and it also supports the Electric Highway. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is pretty similar to Ecotricity. Personally, as it wouldn't be costing very much more, I would suggest you to use Ecotricity instead as all their electricity is from renewables and it also supports the Electric Highway. :)
I looked seriously at ecotricity but the daytime rates are high and we charge during the day sometimes, from solar and grid I needed to be sure I would not be charged loads, I realise ecotricity have a 5.6p /kWh at night but the day rate is higher by lots and I really wanted to go with ecotricity but couldn't justify the extra expense but wanted to support them for the excellent charging points network they have set up.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My current tariff expires in October 2014 so I'll be looking around soon. I'd like to go with ecotricity from the moral angle, but to be honest there is a tension between price and what I'd prefer to do.

Last time I looked my daytime usage was too high to make e7 viable. I'm now in a different situation as I mostly live alone, but do work at home about half+ the time, and as I only have the leaf I will charge it at any hour as I need to know I have range to get to a variety of local destinations immediately. I don't have an ice to fall back on.

That being said I'll do some estimates and figure it out. Sadly my detailed monitoring went awol many months back with the death of an old server - though a quick glance at my standalone monitor suggests 516 kWh in last month. can't really tell time of time - clock all messed up

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also wanted to go with ecotricity but the daytime electricity was too much and my pocket which is a very shallow one, couldn't stretch that far. If ecotricitys daytime cost was around the 15p mark I would have jumped as we could afford a little more.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I also wanted to go with ecotricity but the daytime electricity was too much and my pocket which is a very shallow one, couldn't stretch that far. If ecotricitys daytime cost was around the 15p mark I would have jumped as we could afford a little more.
Have you done the maths because unless you use more than 80% of your electricity in the day period E7 would be cheaper on the Ecotricity rates.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If ecotricitys daytime cost was around the 15p mark I would have jumped as we could afford a little more.
For our region (SSE), Ecotricity's E7 day rates are 15.44p day and 6.53p night. The standard rate is 12.64p. So E7 looks worthwhile for anyone who's organised and disciplined – I would be but the rest of the family aren't!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Robwiz you make a valid point... we have no kids leaving lights on, using TVs, computers and games all the time, and generally not being aware of their energy use. Perhaps if we had kids we might use more by day and less by night.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I haven't done the maths, but I would have thought that someone living alone might find it difficult to use enough electricity to make E7 worthwhile.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It isn't about how much you use. It is more about your Day / Night split & living alone you have complete control over that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have posted this elsewhere , but it may be of use to work out the viability of eco7 v normal
Its a .zip file as the site doesnt seem to allow excell spreadsheets to be uploaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have put the costs through a spreadsheet and was sorry to say that ecotricity didn't come out on top and my usage figures are accurate and we do washing and drying when the sun is shining using the solar electricity produced and if not enough the washer and dryer are on over night to max the night time usage. If the daytime price was just a little better I could have gone for them

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
One of my customers, recently had and Electric C1 from me and he has solar panels, and Eco 7, he tries not to use any of the power he generates, as he gets paid far too much for it, compared to what it costs for him to use Eco 7 to charge his car, heat his water, etc. Might not be the most green solution but sure makes financial sense.
We use huge amounts of Eco7 as being in a rural area, Oil or propane is my only alternative, so all my water is heated by Eco 7 (Thats what doesnt get heated by solar water panels in the summer only) So we use about twice the Eco7 to normal power, and it stacks up.
My view on Ecotricity is that they put invesment from profits back into new generation, not just raising funds for new generation through rights issues etc as some of the others do while still distributing a dividend to shareholders.
My decision was not taken purely on tariff costs.
On a slightly different tack, we have a house that we are doing major works on, and is unocupied, on most tariffs it cost around £108 per year even not using any power due to daily costs etc. But we have a variable direct debit with N power, on a higher tariff and our anticipated annual cost is now under £5. A serious deal for those who use little power.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
One of my customers, recently had and Electric C1 from me and he has solar panels, and Eco 7, he tries not to use any of the power he generates, as he gets paid far too much for it,
I don't understand this - we get paid for what we generate, regardless of whether we use it or export it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't understand this - we get paid for what we generate, regardless of whether we use it or export it.
Maybe the customer concerned has misunderstood the way the FIT payments work?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
That's true. Generally it's preferable to use as much of the home generated capacity as possible as the FiT is paid on it and every unit used is one fewer imported.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts