Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Nightmare with free home charger - EV Charging Centre / Chargemaster

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  flipper 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would share my nightmare experience with EV Charging. We are new to this electric vehicle malarkey. The Boss Lady ordered an Outlander PHEV. Unbeknown to me she registered for a free home charger via Chargemaster, they emailed her to get her to contact EV Charging Centre t arrange an appointment.

At the same time I had contacted a local company, Solway renewables who were really helpful expliaing the various options , type 2 sockets etc etc. Unfortunately I coudlnt proceed as an appointment had been made with EV Charging centre, Tuesday 19th 9:00

I arrnged for a half day holiday on Tuesday 19th. received a call on the preceding Friday to say the stock hadnt arrived and could we re-arrange for 26th 10:00. Not happy to have to take another 1/2 day but reluctantly accepted. They were patronising and kept saying 'sorry' but couldnt explain why I had been led up the proverbial path and lied to. Pathetic customer service IMHO (actuall worse than that but didnt want to use naughty words:eek:)

Yesterday called Suzanne from Solway Renewables (the local company) who is making arrangements for us. As we are now having to do this via the new scheme thsi will take a little while to process the papwerwork etc. Why didnt I just get Solway to do it when EV first cancelled - kicking myself.

Cannot stress how helpful Suzanne has been. Perhaps EV Charging should pay her to train their staff on how to deal with Customers.

Moral of the story. Deal with local companies who you can trust wherever possible:cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the wonderful would of ev's. Search the threads for many similar stories (or worse) and just wait till you have to sign up for charging cards . :)

Just thought I would share my nightmare experience with EV Charging. We are new to this electric vehicle malarkey. The Boss Lady oreder an Outlander PHEV. Unbeknown to me she registered for a free home charger via Chargemaster, they emailed her to get her to contact EV Charging Centre t arrange an appointment.

At the same time I had contacted a local company, Solway renewables who were really helpful expliaing the various options , type 2 sockets etc etc. Unfortunately I coudlnt proceed as an appointment had been made with EV Charging centre, Tuesday 19th 9:00

I arrnged for a half day holiday on Tuesday 19th. received a call on the preceding Friday to say the stock hadnt arrived and could we re-arrange for 26th 10:00. Not happy to have to take another 1/2 day but reluctantly accepted. They were patronising and kept saying 'sorry' but couldnt explain why I had been led up the proverbial path and lied to. Pathetic customer service IMHO (actuall worse than that but didnt want to use naughty words:eek:)

Yesterday called Suzanne from Solway Renewables (the local company) who is making arrangements for us. As we are now having to do this via the new scheme thsi will take a little while to process the papwerwork etc. Why didnt I just get Solway to do it when EV first cancelled - kicking myself.

Cannot stress how helpful Suzanne has been. Perhaps EV Charging should pay her to train their staff on how to deal with Customers.

Moral of the story. Deal with local companies who you can trust wherever possible:cool:

#4 ·
Welcome to the wonderful would of ev's. Search the threads for many similar stories (or worse) and just wait till you have to sign up for charging cards . :)
Yes I am so pleased we decided on a PHEV so we arent relying on the cards necessarily. Have already learned that Ecotricity (think thats what they r called) are free. As boss lady is limited to 12000 miles p.a. she will mainly be doing shortish journeys in the main. I opine that her time is worth too much to be hanging around for the slow chrgers so wont be using them but will use rapids at waitrose hexham for her monthly trips to newcastle , 1/2 hour so get a coffee etc / a bit of shopping.

#3 ·
Just thought I would share my nightmare experience with EV Charging. We are new to this electric vehicle malarkey. The Boss Lady oreder an Outlander PHEV. Unbeknown to me she registered for a free home charger via Chargemaster, they emailed her to get her to contact EV Charging Centre t arrange an appointment.

At least your car has the backup dino juice, it's a lot more frustrating for BEV's when this kind of thing happens...!

Reactions: chris ward
#9 ·
Well the whole issue of the different chargers is a big problem so it is handy to get some advice, (we currently have 3 cards and 2 phone apps for our Zoe but we don't bother with any paid for ones at the moment.)
Incidentally, many ev drivers have swithced their home supplier to Ecotricity in support of their positive stance for EVs as well as because they only use renewable energy sources. There is also a feeling that at some point they will need to charge for use of their rapid chargers but they may keep it free for Ecotricity customers , but this is only pure guesswork.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.