Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Niro EV has been brilliant the past 2 weeks, however this morning it won’t start. The system turns on, but I can’t shit into drive or reverse. It’s as if the system can’t sense my foot on the break. Battery at 60%.

I’ve tried the spare key fob and also tried plugging the car in to charge a bit, but all to no avail.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Regards
GF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope nothing, just been sat in here trying to figure out what’s wrong. Haven’t done anything different to the previous 2 weeks. I tried moving it with the key fob before I got in and that wouldn’t work either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randomly it has just started working again. Just sat in the cabin for 30min looking online for solutions, had another go at starting and it worked.

I don’t know if this is a good thing, if this becomes an intermittent issue, it’s hard to demonstrate the problem to the garage 🤦🏼‍♂️

Regards
GF

·
Registered
211 Posts
Randomly it has just started working again. Just sat in the cabin for 30min looking online for solutions, had another go at starting and it worked.

I don’t know if this is a good thing, if this becomes an intermittent issue, it’s hard to demonstrate the problem to the garage 🤦🏼‍♂️

Regards
GF
Hi. We have same issue. I have posted mine under ‘ Kia eNIRO won’t engage drive’ post started by @VT 44 in May 2022. Seems the car may have been immobilised by the computer but I’m still to check my CCTV coverage to make sure no one was tampering with the car overnight.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Regards
GF
Did you notice if the immobiliser symbol was on the dash? Orange car with key inside….I’m going to leave my desk for a wee break in a bit and check if it stays on in accessory mode now that the car is ‘working’ again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you notice if the immobiliser symbol was on the dash? Orange car with key inside….I’m going to leave my desk for a wee break in a bit and check if it stays on in accessory mode now that the car is ‘working’ again.
Yes I did notice that whilst it wasn’t working, the red battery light was staying on too. I didn’t get round to looking up the significance of them lights as it started working again. Worrying if this happens during an emergency 🫤

Regards,
GF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like the old Flat 12v battery issues these cars have always suffered with, now that you’ve powered car up and sat in it for 20mins the big battery has charged the 12v one up enough for car to now power up correctly .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like the old Flat 12v battery issues these cars have always suffered with, now that you’ve powered car up and sat in it for 20mins the big battery has charged the 12v one up enough for car to now power up correctly .
But Kia Connect app says battery fine. I didn’t power mine up for more than a minute or two so I’m thinking more likely the immobiliser in my case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has Kia come up with a solution?
viewing on another post 12v only charges whilst ev is “on” does utility mode still exist on the new model so battery will not be discharged whilst sitting in the car playing with settings etc. ?
looks like 3 others have had similar issues, and how the car corrected itself after its hissy fit, walk away for 15 mins , return and all was well .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
viewing on another post 12v only charges whilst ev is “on” does utility mode still exist on the new model so battery will not be discharged whilst sitting in the car playing with settings etc. ?
looks like 3 others have had similar issues, and how the car corrected itself after its hissy fit, walk away for 15 mins , return and all was well .
It does have a utility mode which I didn't really understand. Should this be on or off then?

·
Registered
211 Posts
On when car is off and your playing inside , as otherwise it’s flattening the 12v system and it’s only a small 12v battery , and lots of the HV system uses 12v to power up properly .
I was running the climate control for approx 10 mins this morning prior to getting in car ( car not plugged in). Surely that shouldn’t have deleted the 12v and in that case why did it restart after 15-20 mins with no one in the car ? Not questioning anybody’s ideas - just trying to understand if this is a software issue or a user issue. New to EV’s - this is my first one.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,855 Posts
It doesn't work like that. The 12v does not get charged magically by sitting in the car. For that to happen the car must be in Ready or Utility mode. Furthermore, if the 12V is depleted the car won't power on either

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a test drive in a Niro EV 2 last weekend and I had something similar happen to me.

Car wouldn't go into Drive or Reverse, but turned the car off and back on and it worked first time, didn't really think anything of it so never mentioned it to the dealer.

I've since gone and ordered one...

1 - 20 of 231 Posts