Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
Niro EV 4
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread to share questions and answers on setting up your Niro EV. Even though I previously owned a Soul EV First Edition and E-Niro 4+, therefore assuming I understood all the settings, the latest Niro EV has added / moved / changed / deleted (probably) features. Obviously we all promise to studiously read the manual, all 9 sections and 2cm thick, but occasionally it's quicker and easier to ask here.

·
Registered
Niro EV 4
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  1. Previously you could set a default regen setting for Econ / Normal / Sport. I can't see any option to set a default regen?
  2. Previously stats were for accumulated and current journey (if you restart within a given time it's the same current journey). Now stats are for accumulated, since last charge and since switched on (not the current journey if restarted). Is there an option to allow a current journey including restarts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Posted this on the other thread and noticed your stated this. Thanks…here’s the post related to the sound quality of the standard issue speakers ( not HK setup )………

Wondering if in EV a world you have to decrease the treble as it’s quite thin. I listen to podcasts on my commute ( Scotland Outdoors ) and it’s brilliant for relaxing in the ‘outdoors’ but I’m finding the speakers struggling to keep up with the soundscapes. However…the KIA sounds of nature tracks actually sound really good so I wonder if it is a setting thing for podcasts via CarPlay. I’m going to ask on a thread hopefully being set up for ‘settings’

·
Registered
211 Posts
Can’t seem to engage the iPedal by holding down the paddle shifter. What other conditions need to be applied ? In start-stop traffic and wanted to try this feature but can’t get it to engage. Holding down left paddle only seems to stop car. Flicking it towards high regen only seems to engage highest mode but not iPedal ??

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,668 Posts
Can’t seem to engage the iPedal by holding down the paddle shifter. What other conditions need to be applied ? In start-stop traffic and wanted to try this feature but can’t get it to engage. Holding down left paddle only seems to stop car. Flicking it towards high regen only seems to engage highest mode but not iPedal ??
If you mean by “ipedal” that the car slows to a stop just by taking foot off the gas (like Leaf can) you will be disappointed. Eniro (and presumably Niro EV) doesn’t do that. The nearest thing is to set the maximum foot off regen by selecting regen lvl 3. It slows down to maybe 10 mph, but never to a complete stop. If you want it to stop, you must held in the left paddle, or use the brake pedal. Peter

EDIT CORRECTION: I was quite wrong in this post, sorry. I had incorrectly assumed the Niro EV would be the same as my E-Niro. It turns out that I-pedal mode has indeed been added to this new car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you mean by “ipedal” that the car slows to a stop just by taking foot off the gas (like Leaf can) you will be disappointed. Eniro (and presumably Niro EV) doesn’t do that. The nearest thing is to set the maximum foot off regen by selecting regen lvl 3. It slows down to maybe 10 mph, but never to a complete stop. If you want it to stop, you must held in the left paddle, or use the brake pedal. Peter
Yep. That’s what I meant. Oh well. That’s ok, just wondered why I couldn’t get it to engage.

·
Registered
NiroEV “4”
1,961 Posts
Niro EV does have the facility like the leaf…unlike the eNiro as per @Dundee video

·
Registered
Yet to receive vehicle
67 Posts
I can confirm it does come to a stop - used this on my test drive. However, from memory it comes to a stop under it's own 'ipedal system' - I think (didn't test it fully) you have to learn to judge the distance. If the car in front is too close you have to use the break pedal. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ipedal works (in terms of coming to a full halt/stop) when adaptive cruise control is on/working. In my current Golf, when in adaptive cruise control mode, the car comes to a halt when detecting a stationary car infront - I assume all adaptive systems work like this including the KIA one. So ... in theory ipedal and adaptive cruise control working together should bring the car to a stop when the car infront is too close for ipedal working on it's own.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can confirm it does come to a stop - used this on my test drive. However, from memory it comes to a stop under it's own 'ipedal system' - I think (didn't test it fully) you have to learn to judge the distance. If the car in front is too close you have to use the break pedal. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ipedal works (in terms of coming to a full halt/stop) when adaptive cruise control is on/working. In my current Golf, when in adaptive cruise control mode, the car comes to a halt when detecting a stationary car infront - I assume all adaptive systems work like this including the KIA one. So ... in theory ipedal and adaptive cruise control working together should bring the car to a stop when the car infront is too close for ipedal working on it's own.
It’s the fact that I can’t see iPedal on the display and can’t seem to engage it deliberately. As for the other functions, it comes to a stop holding the left paddle, follows traffic happily and even when in nose to tail queues - no need to do anything other than watch for queue jumpers ( not talking merging lanes here ). I’ve still to try it out fully but the HDA system is really good thus far. HDA 2 was not a deal breaker for me but looks pretty good to. So it’s all about ‘one pedal driving’ and trying to deliberately put the car in iPedal mode - there’s my issue. I do think it may be other settings or parameters not met and as @Mark_T stated - not sure how to engage that mode.

·
Registered
Niro EV 4
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ipedal and all regen modes require familiarisation to drive smoothly and safely. That's why I'd like to be able to define which mode the car uses when you switch on, as in the previous E-Niro, whereas the new Niro EV uses whatever you were using when you previously switched off (mainly an issue when swapping between me and my wife driving).

·
Registered
NiroEV “4”
1,961 Posts
It’s the fact that I can’t see iPedal on the display and can’t seem to engage it deliberately. As for the other functions, it comes to a stop holding the left paddle, follows traffic happily and even when in nose to tail queues - no need to do anything other than watch for queue jumpers ( not talking merging lanes here ). I’ve still to try it out fully but the HDA system is really good thus far. HDA 2 was not a deal breaker for me but looks pretty good to. So it’s all about ‘one pedal driving’ and trying to deliberately put the car in iPedal mode - there’s my issue. I do think it may be other settings or parameters not met and as @Mark_T stated - not sure how to engage that mode.
Have you watched the video?( not being sarcastic), wondered if you cant make yours go into mode on “4th pull”

·
Registered
Niro EV 4
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you holding the left paddle, like in a long press, rather than giving it (up to 4) discrete presses? You need the discrete presses. The iPedal indicator lights up in green on the top of the cluster.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ipedal and all regen modes require familiarisation to drive smoothly and safely. That's why I'd like to be able to define which mode the car uses when you switch on, as in the previous E-Niro, whereas the new Niro EV uses whatever you were using when you previously switched off (mainly an issue when swapping between me and my wife driving).
Does the driver profile not retain that setting? That’s a shame. Would be a good software update if possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Operation
Pull the left side of the paddle shifter to level 3 regenerative braking system.
Pull the left side of the paddle shifter once again when the regenerative braking level reaches level 3.
• Check i-Pedal indicator symbol i-Pedal on the instrument cluster.

WARNING
• Do not solely rely on one pedal driving to stop the vehicle. Stopping the vehicle may not be possible depending vehicle and road conditions. Pay attention to the road condition ahead and apply the brake if necessary.
• Avoid increasing the regenerative braking level suddenly on slippery roads (like snow or icy conditions) because it may lead slipping of the tires and skidding of vehicle. It can be dangerous due to the loss of the vehicle's steering force.
CAUTION
When the vehicle is stopped or parked by i-Pedal on the steep hills, be sure to depress the brake pedal.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you watched the video?( not being sarcastic), wondered if you cant make yours go into mode on “4th pull”
Ok. I can see it might be that a single 4th pull may be the issue as I might have been holding it. Unfortunately the car is away for a week at detailer so can’t try it but do remember doing that and also flapping away at the left paddle in frustration 👀 max regen then one single pull should do it then ? Looking forward to trying it but feel free to do so anyone else to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
Niro EV 4
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. I can see it might be that a single 4th pull may be the issue as I might have been holding it. Unfortunately the car is away for a week at detailer so can’t try it but do remember doing that and also flapping away at the left paddle in frustration 👀 max regen then one single pull should do it then ? Looking forward to trying it but feel free to do so anyone else to satisfy my curiosity.
Four single/individual pulls of the left paddle

1 - 20 of 151 Posts