Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
541 - 560 of 805 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had an update from my dealer re my car ordered 7 June. He says there is still no target date for build but arrival in UK has moved from sometime Oct - Dec to late Oct. He said that colour can dictate when it gets a slot (is Mineral Blue an unpopular colour?). A bit frustrating that others who ordered later in June have confirmed shipping dates, but I suppose it's progress of sorts. So a question to Mark - does 'late Oct' fit with what you know about the shipping schedules? Presumably a build in Sept is implied?
I'll be going for a test drive (in a 2) in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
So a question to Mark - does 'late Oct' fit with what you know about the shipping schedules? Presumably a build in Sept is implied?
Late October would need a build in the first week or so of September at the latest, and to be honest, if the ship it is on has a typical schedule, that really should be a late August build.

The fastest delivery schedule I've seen so far (Morning Catherine) sails on 13th August, reaches the UK 11th September and that would result in cars at the dealer last week of September with luck.

The ship your car would be on has not been scheduled yet either so I wouldn't treat that October with any degree of confidence, at least until you know the car has actually been built...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The ship your car would be on has not been scheduled yet either so I wouldn't treat that October with any degree of confidence, at least until you know the car has actually been built...
Thanks Mark .... I thought you might say that! So I really need to see some movement on build in the next few weeks. When I go for the test drive I may well insist on seeing the screen myself.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks Mark .... I thought you might say that! So I really need to see some movement on build in the next few weeks. When I go for the test drive I may well insist on seeing the screen myself.
As long as the dealer is telling you that the car doesn't have a build date there isn't much to gain from seeing the screen, as it is effectively a work of fiction based on typical time taken between each phase...

Once you have a build date it is more meaningful to start looking at ship schedules, and hence potential delivery dates...

·
Registered
eNiro 4
1,641 Posts
For comparison, mine went into production on 3/6 and was “completed” on 7/6.
It was scheduled to ship on 25/6 but actually shipped on 30/6 (Auto Achieve was late)

Current arrival at uk Port schedule date on Kia Portal is 14th August, but I believe it will be sooner

·
Registered
565 Posts
It was scheduled to ship on 25/6 but actually shipped on 30/6 (Auto Achieve was late)
This one was an interesting data-point, it did actually ship on 25/6, but it seems that Kia only update the portal once the ship leaves from its final Korean port, 30/6 was when Auto Achieve departed from Kwangyang heading towards Singapore

It does make sense, since as long as the ship is only scheduled to travel between Korean ports it has not actually left the country yet from a tax/export perspective.

On a side-note, Auto Achieve has just turned into the English Channel, so she is making good progress towards Tilbury...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Date Time At Vessel Name Agent Nationality From To
05-Aug​
2359​
NES AUTO ACHIEVE MKS PRT PTSET TILBURY RO RO Pilot Reqd.
06-Aug​
2000​
TILRO AUTO ACHIEVE MKS PRT TILBURY RO RO GBGSY Pilot Reqd

Port of London schedule for her arrival and departure at Tilbury...

Interesting to note that her departure destination is shown as Grimsby rather than Immingham, that can change of course so I wouldn't read too much into that yet...

·
Registered
59 Posts
DateTimeAtVessel NameAgentNationalityFromTo
05-Aug​
2359​
NESAUTO ACHIEVEMKSPRTPTSETTILBURY RO ROPilot Reqd.
06-Aug​
2000​
TILROAUTO ACHIEVEMKSPRTTILBURY RO ROGBGSYPilot Reqd

Port of London schedule for her arrival and departure at Tilbury...

Interesting to note that her departure destination is shown as Grimsby rather than Immingham, that can change of course so I wouldn't read too much into that yet...
Still broadly on schedule... (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
Thanks really helpful - I guess I could have been less lazy and looked on the Kia website! I guess dealers will play around with the figures if they need to. However, still looks to me it will probably be worth paying the balloon payment in three years and then selling / part exchanging. I can’t see supply v demand / inflation leading to the quoted residual values in three years time.
Agree GFV looks low risk, I suspect they haven't sold the whole allocation is my hunch.

My wife is now dithering whether to keep our Cupra Formentor PHEV rather than take the car, she still has a phobia to full electric and the PHEV sits easier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree GFV looks low risk, I suspect they haven't sold the whole allocation is my hunch.

My wife is now dithering whether to keep our Cupra Formentor PHEV rather than take the car, she still has a phobia to full electric and the PHEV sits easier.
We all have our phobias I have recently developed a strong aversion to putting petrol in mine!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Next stage of my new car purchase. Salesman I deal with is on holiday this week, so called dealer for update on delivery of my car and demo car. Brewery and p**s up come to mind. Demo '3' is in for test drives but my car is showing in for checks at dock 02/08 looks like it will arrive at dealer end of next week. All this said with a hint of not sure what they were saying. Best if I call them on Monday and speak to my contact, who to be fair does seem to know what he's talking about. Arranged a test drive tomorrow morning. Purchase is dependant on this drive as it has to be soft and not jarring which seems to be the norm on cars I have tested in the last 12 months.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Purchase is dependant on this drive as it has to be soft and not jarring which seems to be the norm on cars I have tested in the last 12 months.
Hope your roads are in better condition than ours are, been nothing but jarring from pot-hole to pot-hole for the last 12 months regardless of the cars suspension :)

I know what you mean though and the trend for big wheels and low profile tyres does seem to have made it worse recently, so the 17" wheels on the Niro EV are a nice reversal of that...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know what you mean though and the trend for big wheels and low profile tyres does seem to have made it worse recently, so the 17" wheels on the Niro EV are a nice reversal of that...
I agree 100%. My Niro PHEV has 16" wheels which is a godsend on the country roads where I am. My previous car had 18" low profile tyres and you could feel every bump, especially in the rear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Areed
I agree 100%. My Niro PHEV has 16" wheels which is a godsend on the country roads where I am. My previous car had 18" low profile tyres and you could feel every bump, especially in the rear.
Completely agree. My current hybrid had a choice of 15" and 17" wheels on all grades, the former was, at the time, exempt from the congestion charge as it has better emissions and MPG. What I really noticed though was how much better the ride was compared to the one before with 17" only available. Style over substance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I always think the massive wheels with a smear of rubber round them look daft anyway. They remind me of boy racers in clapped out BMWs with crap aftermarket alloys.
17" wheels with proper tyres are very welcome.

Reactions: prawlin and dm57
541 - 560 of 805 Posts