Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a strange one. My GOM showed 242 miles at 100% the day after I picked it up. Since then, I've done nearly 1500 miles and averaged 4 miles per kWh which equates to 259 miles for the full battery.

Gauge Auto part Trip computer Car Measuring instrument

However, the GOM still won't go above 240 at 100% and is persistently pessimistic in the face of evidence to suggest its unnecessary.

51% point today, showing 116 miles.

Font Vehicle Gadget Electronic device Display device

I did a long trip last week. Charged to 100%. After 128 miles, the state of charge was at 50% which is exactly where I expected it to be based on 4 miles/kWh but the GOM only showed 113 miles left. Ambient temperature hadn't changed since I set off.

I have been around long enough to know that the GOM is exactly that - a guesstimate. So there is no concern. Just finding it a bit odd that I can't make it go up a bit. It would be interesting to know what its algorithms are as the temperature isn't that low yet.

What are others seeing after a few miles?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Perhaps you have the heater set on an inefficient level - but when you drive you adjust it?

I don't know is the answer though - it is a bit odd. my Soul is showing 314 at the moment dropped a bit as it got a bit cooler last few days

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps you have the heater set on an inefficient level - but when you drive you adjust it?

I don't know is the answer though - it is a bit odd. my Soul is showing 314 at the moment dropped a bit as it got a bit cooler last few days
Nope. Not had the heating on yet in any meaningful way apart from a couple of tests. Normally, I have had the HVAC set at 18 and on Auto. When I have then turned it off, I can see it adds only a couple of miles back to the GOM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope. Not had the heating on yet in any meaningful way apart from a couple of tests. Normally, I have had the HVAC set at 18 and on Auto. When I have then turned it off, I can see it adds only a couple of miles back to the GOM.
have you got the battery heating ( can't remember is correct name) on in the settings, as am finding
the a similar thing happening. I can usually on a long drive be at 7- 7.5km/kwh (4-4.5m/kwh) in the older eniro with ease best can I get is 6.6-6.8km/kwh. I know the temps have dropped, but struggling to make
any sense of it. driving on eco mode and regen on level 3. I did turn off the setting for battery heat management for battery heating for fast DC charging but I very rarely do DC charging. I started to see an increase but it could be just me thinking it was it.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you got the battery heating ( can't remember is correct name) on in the settings, as am finding
the a similar thing happening. I can usually on a long drive be at 7- 7.5km/kwh (4-4.5m/kwh) in the older eniro with ease best can I get is 6.6-6.8km/kwh. I know the temps have dropped, but struggling to make
any sense of it. driving on eco mode and regen on level 3. I did turn off the setting for battery heat management for battery heating for fast DC charging but I very rarely do DC charging. I started to see an increase but it could be just me thinking it was it.
Interesting thought - thanks. I won't be doing much driving now for the rest of the week but I will look into that over the weekend - think we are doing a trip to the lakes.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV 4 '72' plate
73 Posts
Over the past week driving mainly in ECO, I'm finding that the GOM is fairly pessimistic in the morning when I set out for work, but more optimistic when I'm leaving work and heading home. Currently showing Average of 4.6m/kW total, which I'm very pleased with. Not sure why my 8 mile commute each way appears to only drop the GOM by 5 in the morning but 11 or 12 on the way home, when I'm traveling exactly the same route and the ambient temperature is about the same give or take a degree or 2

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over the past week driving mainly in ECO, I'm finding that the GOM is fairly pessimistic in the morning when I set out for work, but more optimistic when I'm leaving work and heading home. Currently showing Average of 4.6m/kW total, which I'm very pleased with. Not sure why my 8 mile commute each way appears to only drop the GOM by 5 in the morning but 11 or 12 on the way home, when I'm traveling exactly the same route and the ambient temperature is about the same give or take a degree or 2
There does seem to be some "settling down" needed. Perhaps it just doesn't have enough data yet to be more accurate.

4.6 is a great return. Over 1200 of my 1500 miles so far have been on the motorway, so there's no chance of me getting those numbers. I am more than happy with 4 to be honest.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
330 Posts
Results seem low for this time of year. I average late 4s/ early 5s mi/kWh in my 2021 e-Niro 3 and would be surprised if new version could not be similar, assuming right condition.

·
Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
1,737 Posts
Fascinated by your problems, I did find my Ioniq took a while to loosen up from new, even with just 28kWh I never use Eco mode, just normal but avoid harsh driving and slip into 0 regen unless going down hills. Too much variation with temperature, speed and wind, but I doubt your GOM range will improve until next summer now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
After 128 miles, the state of charge was at 50% which is exactly where I expected it to be based on 4 miles/kWh but the GOM only showed 113 miles left.
The SOC scale in Korean cars is based on Ah (not kWh), so the new Niro EV seems to continue this trend.

As pack voltage drops, there is less kWh in the lower half (between 50% and 0% SOC) than in the upper half of the battery pack (between 100% and 50% SOC)

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
165 Posts
my 8 mile commute each way appears to only drop the GOM by 5 in the morning but 11 or 12 on the way home
downhill there, uphill back?

I live near the top of a hill - I find the GOM is optimistic if my trip starts by heading downhill and pessimistic if I go up and over - on short trips it stays that way - even for round trips where there is no overall altitude change.

I'm guessing that the 'initial' value setting on any trip is presumably computed in the first 0.5km from that and the stored value relating to driving style. Anything during the rest of the trip is something like a rolling average over several miles - so only slowly moves that initial value - on short trips it'll never get far from that value?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts