Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Niro EV

52K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  45265 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Got my eye on one when they turn up. Fly in the ointment is it's supposed to be CCS which unless things change is going to mean leaving a bigger buffer on long trips which may sort of defeat the object of getting it over keeping the Soul with Chademo. Hopefully CCS installs will pick up.

#22 ·
#9 ·
this could be my tesla alternative :)

JJ
Exactly our thinking. Kia service available 11 miles from home with 7 year warranty and its a hatchback. Tesla service is 180 miles from us. I know they have the mobile service but I am not convinced. They possibly could put a service centre in 90 miles away in our nearest major city one day in which case I would reconsider. Until then not really in the running. Have to say Kia has been a real surprise in terms of quality, easily on a par with Toyota now it seems.

#10 ·
Anyone have any idea where to get more information on this vehicle.

I'm looking to replace a 4wd Suzuki SX4 s-cross, which is now used as a runabout probably doing less than 10k miles per year.

Had a demo of an i3 but not impressed. No room for dogs in the back and the design is far too quirky.

2wd isn't an issue really despite being at the top of a hill in Inverness as long as I can get all season or snow tyres to fit.

#11 ·
Theres supposed to be a press event on 27th Feb to announce the car and its launch time etc. Expected this summer according to rumours though. Its not a big vehicle for dogs however, but might be ok for you. Oops, not the Niro sorry its about the Hyundai Kona EV.

#13 ·
#26 ·
I do still worry that (40kWh = OK boot) and (60kW = tiny boot) but let's be hopeful. The cynic in me says they will display the smaller battery version.

We looked at C-MAX PHEV in USA and the boot was crazy small.

#30 ·
According to Parkers, the Niro's boot is 324 litres, by their comparison the Prius is 360 and a Mazda CX-3 is 287. Not sure if that's accurate but it is at least a comparison.
So slighty smaller than a Zoe boot :rolleyes: and I wonder which battery size.

#31 ·
I think - like most manufacturers, they are still making the same mistake. Plan to sell most non-hybrids, some hybrids and very few pure EVs. So foolish.
I have read that Kia and Hyundai are both limiting EV versions to 18000 globally each of the Niro and Kona. So that's 36k more EV's globally or just 3 months of M3 production at today's behind schedule production levels. It is disappointing for large manufacturers to have such limited targets as they could sell many times more if they live up to the 200 mile range SUV for under £40k.

#32 ·
I have read that Kia and Hyundai are both limiting EV versions to 18000 globally each of the Niro and Kona
I think most of the manufacturers don't make much margin at prices they can realistically sell EVs and PHEVs for, so limit numbers.

Selling some helps emisions targets and gives them and dealers experience ready for when EVs can be produced in larger volume at lower cost.

#33 ·
don't make much margin ......but if you are stealing market share(which kia seems to be doing) then "not much margin" on marekt share you didnt have profit at cost!!!

Anyway any idea on prices and PCP support?

#35 ·
don't make much margin ......but if you are stealing market share(which kia seems to be doing) then "not much margin" on marekt share you didnt have profit at cost!!!
Report say they are making 21K this year worldwide with less than 50% for export, which reinforces my point. Anyone thinking of ordering had better not be expecting a discount :rolleyes:

#39 ·
Even with 60kWh's it is not going to get 200 miles doing 80mph on a wet motorway in January. It will be sufficient for the vast majority who have not specifically dehydrated themselves before taking a long journey and plan of a 5-6 hours continual drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.