Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After having the car now for nearly 6 months I still can’t quite fathom how the power gauge adapts as you drive. Can anyone explain to me what its actually doing? I should stress here, I’m not talking about the blue and white blocks (in eco mode) but the actual ‘padding’ for a better word that defines whether the block is blue or white for power. I know obviously all this changes with throttle response but it seems almost like it’s reading the road and increases the the number of ’blue’ blocks you can have if you’re going up a hill but reduces them when going down one.

I’m not sure I’ve explained that well but I’m sure you guys will know what I’m on about!

It could simply just be some fancy Korean magic!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
I think it’s indicating the power band you should stay within for eco driving. The car has a gyro type sensor so it knows if you’re going up or down hills. It also changes depending on speed, so shows a higher limit for setting off.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make sense and was one of my potential thoughts but I wasn’t sure as it seemed to follow the terrain. Now that you mention a gyro sensor, this definitely makes more sense! Clever really.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
588 Posts
Hey all,

After having the car now for nearly 6 months I still can’t quite fathom how the power gauge adapts as you drive. Can anyone explain to me what its actually doing? I should stress here, I’m not talking about the blue and white blocks (in eco mode) but the actual ‘padding’ for a better word that defines whether the block is blue or white for power. I know obviously all this changes with throttle response but it seems almost like it’s reading the road and increases the the number of ’blue’ blocks you can have if you’re going up a hill but reduces them when going down one.

I’m not sure I’ve explained that well but I’m sure you guys will know what I’m on about!

It could simply just be some fancy Korean magic!
I think they are all pretty dumb, for example drive in comfort or sport put the car into neutral while in motion and press the throttle the power display goes up so my guess is its just a throttle position sensor and nothing to do with power at all. That's on my Kona so I imagine its the same.
I don't think these things are as clever as we all think 🤔
@stageshoot for this info

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
I think they are all pretty dumb, for example drive in comfort or sport put the car into neutral while in motion and press the throttle the power display goes up so my guess is its just a throttle position sensor and nothing to do with power at all. That's on my Kona so I imagine its the same.
I don't think these things are as clever as we all think 🤔
@stageshoot for this info
True... it's more an indicator of how much throttle you ought to limit yourself to if you're wanting to drive 'eco'. It might be smart enough to know whether you're going up or down hills, but it doesn't know the weather and road conditions. It's just an indicator.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
If it's clever it also knows current motor speed and what the most efficient torque request is at that point, so as you gain speed you can actually request more torque (push the pedal harder!) without losing efficiency.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
588 Posts
If it's clever it also knows current motor speed and what the most efficient torque request is at that point, so as you gain speed you can actually request more torque (push the pedal harder!) without losing efficiency.
if you push too hard in this weather the Nexens on my Kona lose grip and torque steer takes over👿

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.