Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhat encouraging that it is real enough to show to the dealers.

I wonder how much we'll get to see next month at Tokyo?

September 07, 2019 12:00 AM 14 HOURS AGO

Nissan gives dealers a look at compact crossover EV
URVAKSH KARKARIA

Nissan’s IMx concept is a general template for the brand’s upcoming EV that is expected to arrive in late 2021.

The EV, expected to arrive in the U.S. in the second half of 2021, would be one of eight battery-powered models Nissan is planning globally in the next few years.

At a dealer meeting last month, Nissan gave its U.S. retailers their first look at the EV, which is being developed on a new platform.
According to dealers who saw the vehicle, the five-seater has a 300-mile range and can go from 0 to 60 mph in under 5 seconds...

The new crossover is loosely based on the IMx concept that Nissan unveiled at the 2017 Tokyo auto show. A closer-to-production concept is expected to be shown next month at the Tokyo show...

BTW, it sounds like the first Infiniti BEV may also be a CEV:

Infiniti queues up the electric pipeline

...Electric crossover: An electric crossover is likely in 2022. It will be based on the QX Inspiration concept shown in January at the Detroit auto show...

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Is it just me or does anybody else think that is brick ugly? It looks like a Volvo that has been squashed to be narrower and taller.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I bet it won't have active cooling.
I hope not.
I bet this new range is why Nissan didn't bother diverting engineering effort onto the Leaf, which I'd guess is now seen as a dead end range.
Looks like you may have guessed wrong:

"...The standard Leaf, updated last year, should see a redesign in 2021. The next-gen model will be built on a new EV platform that will be shared by Alliance partners Renault and Mitsubishi..."

Is it just me or does anybody else think that is brick ugly? It looks like a Volvo that has been squashed to be narrower and taller.
Maybe you should wait until you actually see how it looks in closer-to-production-form (which could be very different from the 2017 concept image shown above) before deciding whether you like it?

As previously posted, that might be coming soon...

"...The new crossover is loosely based on the IMx concept that Nissan unveiled at the 2017 Tokyo auto show. A closer-to-production concept is expected to be shown next month at the Tokyo show... "

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ah yes, I remember your posts opining that keeping a battery within optimum operating parameters was far worse than letting it overheat.
Attributing false statements to others does not contribute to the discussion.

A factual statement of my actual experience driving BEVs in a region that has extremely hot seasonal temperatures, is that neither of my cars, a 2011 and (since March) a 2019 LEAF, has ever overheated, and my informed opinion is that they both would only have suffered limitations greater than the benefits if either car had its battery pack refrigerated.

Further discussion, on-topic, can be posted at:

Benefits of passive thermal management of battery packs

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Intro PR release:

"Nissan unveils Ariya Concept at Tokyo Motor Show

All-electric crossover showcases brand’s new direction for the age of autonomous driving

TOKYO – Nissan today unveiled the Ariya Concept, a crossover EV with twin electric motors, powerful acceleration, award-winning driver assistance technology and a look that signals a complete reinvention of the brand's design...

The Ariya Concept expands on design elements first hinted at by the Nissan IMx concept at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. They include the bold electrified V-motion signature "shield" and striking rear light blade, short overhangs, and an interior that feels more like a lounge than a conventional vehicle.
Although it's a concept vehicle, the crossover EV's bold styling and unconventional interior and exterior elements could make it into production in the near future...

Nissan Intelligent Mobility – a new design language

The Ariya Concept represents an entirely new design direction for Nissan..."

Comprehensive slideshow here:

A/C's report here:

No I-Pace as to looks, but not a bad compromise of form and function, IMO.

CHAdeMO apparently confirmed, a major + in my opinion.

No indications of battery refrigeration, also a + in my opinion, but Nissan if Nissan were to make that change, it probably wouldn't announce that any earlier than it had to.

It's a fairly large 4WD hatchback, ~5 inches longer, ~4 inches wider, and ~2 inches taller than a 2018-20 LEAF. Weighted down with a ~70 kWh (available) pack, We shouldn't expect outstanding efficiency.

Looks like Nissan and Tesla will compete head-to-head for the first time, when both the Ariya and the similar-sized model Y hit the market (within a year or so) though it seems likely the Y will probably be considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moderator, is there a way to change the thread title, to reflect the Ariya announcement?

Nissan is likely telegraphing the ~specs on the Ariya Drivetrain in its PR release on the test mule below:

"...Using separate front and rear electric motors, the powertrain generates 227 kilowatts of maximum output and 680 Nm of maximum torque. 2019/10/23..."

OPPAMA, Japan – Nissan today revealed a high-power, twin-motor all-wheel-control test car equipped with new technologies being developed for the company's next generation of EVs.

The vehicle, based on the 100% electric Nissan LEAF e+, features an enhanced all-wheel drive system powered by front and rear high-power motors integrated with Nissan-developed chassis control technology. The result is an electric-drive all-wheel-control system that will take the performance of Nissan's electric cars to a new level.

"Soon, Nissan will launch a next-generation EV that will be a true breakthrough," said Takao Asami, senior vice president for research and advanced engineering at Nissan. "The new electric-drive four-wheel-control technology now being developed integrates Nissan's electric propulsion and 4WD control technologies with our chassis control technology to achieve a huge leap in acceleration, cornering and braking performance, on par with the latest sports cars."

This exciting EV technology is a key component of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company's vision of how vehicles are driven, powered and integrated into society.

Powerful, smooth high-output twin-motor drive
Using separate front and rear electric motors, the powertrain generates 227 kilowatts of maximum output and 680 Nm of maximum torque. This output is complemented by the ultra-high-precision motor control provided by Nissan's advanced EV technology which offers highly responsive, yet uncommonly smooth, acceleration.

Drivers can benefit from the all-wheel-control system on nearly any road condition, heightening driving performance and confidence.

Ride comfort for all
The test car's precision control of both motors provides unparalleled ride comfort. Vehicle pitch and dive are minimized by adding regenerative rear motor braking to the usual front motor regenerative braking. When slowing down on city streets, for example, this helps keep passengers from being shaken back and forth. This reduces the potential for motion sickness and related discomfort. Similarly, on rough, bumpy roads and when accelerating, motor control is optimized to maintain ride comfort by minimizing irregular movement.

Independent brake control for top-level handling
In addition to optimizing front and rear torque allocation, the system applies independent brake control at each of the four wheels to maximize the cornering force generated by each tire. This lets drivers enjoy cornering that faithfully follows their intentions with minimal steering.

A beacon of Nissan Intelligent Mobility
Despite being a test car with technology hidden inside, the bespoke exterior effectively communicates the advanced Nissan Intelligent Mobility technology within, and creates excitement for the new era of Nissan EV technology. Fitted with overfenders and rally style wheels, this test car confirms it's ready to take on the most punishing of road conditions.

Inside, the test car sports a 12.3 inch display mounted in the center of the instrument panel that reports, in real-time, information on the vehicle control technology via a polished graphic interface. With the custom display, the driver can better understand vehicle movement, and judge the all-wheel-control technology's performance at a glance.

Confidence on any road surface
Electric four-wheel-control technology increases driver confidence across a broad range of road conditions. When cornering on snow-covered roads, for example, the vehicle can faithfully trace the driver's intended line thanks to ultra-high-precision motor and brake control. With the confidence to handle such a variety of road surfaces, driving becomes more enjoyable.

Electric All-Wheel-Control technology Test car specs
 Electric motor
EM57 × 2 (Front and Rear)​
 Max power/Max torque
227kW / 680Nm​
 Length
4,480 mm​
 Width
1,830 mm​
 Height
1,540 mm​
 Wheel base
2,700 mm​
 Drive
Electric All-Wheel-Control(All wheel drive)​
 Tire
Front : 215/55R17, Rear : 235/50R17​
Contact

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of new videos from Nissan:

Looks like it's only about a year from now when the number of (starting from) ~$40k AWD five-door BEV models available will go from zero to three.

Now that I've seen the Mustang as well as the Tesla model Y, which both (disappointingly) copy their ~50 and ~10 year old predecessors, I am hoping the very promising Ariya concept isn't severely compromised in the final production design.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new CEO's model choice (photo at link) may suggest Nissan's BEV efforts will not suffer from adverse corporate developments, and that the Ariya remains a (nearly) sure-thing for a 2021 MY intro.

"Nissan Motor's chief executive Makoto Uchida speaks next to the Ariya Concept car during a news conference at Nissan Motor's headquarters in Yokohama, Japan, December 2, 2019.

REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon
On his first day in the new position, chief executive Makoto Uchida also pledged to repair profitability at Japan’s No. 2 automaker and said setting realistic targets would be key towards that goal, as it tries to make a clean break from the leadership of former chairman Carlos Ghosn..."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am surprised at this report of the Ariya's high Euro price.

I was expecting Nissan to price it below the Mach E in the USA.

Of course, in the USA we still have the Infiniti brand in the premium role, and might get an Infiniti model on the Ariya platform, in place of the upmarket position Nissan seems to be prepping the Ariya to fill in Europe.

"...Electrification push

Nissan's new tactic is to go big on electrification, far bigger than it would need to in order to fulfill the new regulations. According to its midterm plan, Nissan assumed the overall electrified market in Europe will be about 20 percent to 24 percent by 2022.

However, Nissan wants its electrified sales to reach 42 percent in the region (excluding Russia) by the same date. Nissan sees this as both crucial to staying ahead of regulations and to building a brand.

"If you want a sustainable business model in Europe that meets both corporate and customer regulations, you need to be far above that average," de Ficchy said. "This gives us a presence in the market in a sustainable way, but also in terms of brand."...

The boldest step will be the launch of the production version of the Ariya EV crossover, which according to one source with knowledge of the company's thinking will be launched at a price between 50,000 euros and 70,000 euros.

The idea is that that car will have the performance, range and technology levels, including Nissan's latest ProPilot semi-autonomous system, to be able to compete against premium brands.

Nissan won't be alone in offering electric vehicles far above its usual price range. Ford has announced its Mustang Mach-E SUV will sell for between 46,900 euros and 66,800 euros in Germany..."

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am surprised at this report of the Ariya's high Euro price.

I was expecting Nissan to price it below the Mach E in the USA.

Of course, in the USA we still have the Infiniti brand in the premium role, and might get an Infiniti model on the Ariya platform, in place of the upmarket position Nissan seems to be prepping the Ariya to fill in Europe.

"...Electrification push

Nissan's new tactic is to go big on electrification, far bigger than it would need to in order to fulfill the new regulations. According to its midterm plan, Nissan assumed the overall electrified market in Europe will be about 20 percent to 24 percent by 2022.

However, Nissan wants its electrified sales to reach 42 percent in the region (excluding Russia) by the same date. Nissan sees this as both crucial to staying ahead of regulations and to building a brand.

"If you want a sustainable business model in Europe that meets both corporate and customer regulations, you need to be far above that average," de Ficchy said. "This gives us a presence in the market in a sustainable way, but also in terms of brand."...

The boldest step will be the launch of the production version of the Ariya EV crossover, which according to one source with knowledge of the company's thinking will be launched at a price between 50,000 euros and 70,000 euros.

The idea is that that car will have the performance, range and technology levels, including Nissan's latest ProPilot semi-autonomous system, to be able to compete against premium brands.

Nissan won't be alone in offering electric vehicles far above its usual price range. Ford has announced its Mustang Mach-E SUV will sell for between 46,900 euros and 66,800 euros in Germany..."
That’s killed it even before it’s born then. Do Nissan really not want to sell ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts