Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Should there be a compensation scheme like PPI for Acenta/Tekna owners re CarWings misselling?

• YES

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • NO

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • MAYBE/UNDECIDED

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy a Visia it does not come with CarWings/YouConnect.

If you buy an Acenta it comes with extras including CarWings/YouConnect.

If you buy a Tekna it comes with even more above the Acenta.

Not sure about the NV200 but guessing they publicise CarWings for that also.

Both the Acenta and Tekna get sold with CarWings being highlighted as a feature of the car. It is highlighted on the Nissan website for these models, and any dealership salesman is not shy to put a bit of shine on CarWings.

But Nissan neglect CarWings in the extreme. It has always been poorly serviced and managed, yet it somehow continues to get worse and worse. Lately the neglect and unusable nature of it has peaked.

This is like Nissan's PPI. It is an absolute disgrace. Anyone who has bought an Acenta/Tekna has been missold their car on the terms and aspects of CarWings. All Acenta/Tekna owners who bought from Nissan should be entitled to a compensatory refund. Ideally there should be a scheme for this such as the PPI structure.

CarWings is Nissan's shame. It is absolutely useless to me for sometime now. The website hasn't even displayed my battery status for weeks. I haven't had emails for ages.

·
9,719 Posts
Do Nissan provide any SLA for car wings, or as is most likely the case is provided on a as-is basis with not contractural obligation to maintain the service... always check the small print.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
For me, it works at off-peak times, but not at peak times. Still not a service that they could charge money for.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Works fine for me, it does take a while to refresh charge %, but activating climate control is pretty quick.

It's obviously not as good as the Tesla app appears to be, for example, but I don't think it's "missold" particularly, just not great.

The Leaf came out quite a while ago now and was obviously designed before then, (current style) smartphones were pretty new and as is the nature of these "traditional" car makers they can't/won't update things later on, so we are stuck with a design from say, 2009/2010?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It is pretty flaky to say the least.

Thought I'd do a quick test...

Web interface... 5 minutes and still waiting for my state of charge.

Mobile signal is good here.

7 minutes... still waiting.

Oh, I just noticed... Route Planner - Service cannot be provided.

9 minutes now... still waiting.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
Works fine for me, it does take a while to refresh charge %, but activating climate control is pretty quick.

It's obviously not as good as the Tesla app appears to be, for example, but I don't think it's "missold" particularly, just not great.

The Leaf came out quite a while ago now and was obviously designed before then, (current style) smartphones were pretty new and as is the nature of these "traditional" car makers they can't/won't update things later on, so we are stuck with a design from say, 2009/2010?
Exactly, the car first shipped in 2010, so we are looking at 2007 technology at best. Probably the new version will upgrade to 3/4G, that will help a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Exactly, the car first shipped in 2010, so we are looking at 2007 technology at best. Probably the new version will upgrade to 3/4G, that will help a lot.
It depends on how the system is structured, it's unlikely to be related to data speeds. I always assumed it worked by sending an SMS/text message to the car, which then made a data connection back to update the statuses, rather than having a connection open 24/7 listening.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Think yourself lucky you have something that sort of works!
We get nought in the Soul nadda, nothing, zilch!

I also own a BMW F11 if you think Carwings is slow you need to try BMW Connected Drive especially if you have just paid £120 to renew the annual subscription it is shockingly slow and often fails completely.
bordering on not fit for purpose imho :(

BMW always blame the failures on poor cellular coverage which is total bolloxs.
I always ponder how I can remotely lock the car one minute but a few seconds later I can't enable timed auxiliary ventilation or unlock it etc.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I`m not an owner,but if Nissan claims it to run on 3G,when that is not available it will more than likely fall back onto 2G which is pretty rubbish and probably why it doesn`t work very well overall.

Most people will carry smart phones or small tablets these days,so you can have an outside the box back up system not related to the Nissan system anyway i would of thought?

I have a 4G smart phone and 4G tablet i bought second hand for £40 each,both work on PAYG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I`m not an owner,but if Nissan claims it to run on 3G,when that is not available it will more than likely fall back onto 2G which is pretty rubbish and probably why it doesn`t work very well overall.

Most people will carry smart phones or small tablets these days,so you can have an outside the box back up system not related to the Nissan system anyway i would of thought?

I have a 4G smart phone and 4G tablet i bought second hand for £40 each,both work on PAYG.
It doesn't fall back on 2G it never gets above it in the first place. I use leaf manager which accesses the Web page and does seem to work better especially the widget on Android. Not sure if this is available for iPhone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you want to know how the system works (Not very well) feel free to watch this video:

The guy works out what order everything happens and manages to find some eye-opening stuff which Nissan were <sarcasm> 'incredibly fast to fix and admit guilt for' </sarcasm>

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want to know how the system works (Not very well) feel free to watch this video:

The guy works out what order everything happens and manages to find some eye-opening stuff which Nissan were <sarcasm> 'incredibly fast to fix and admit guilt for' </sarcasm>
Scott Helme also worked out how to use amazon Alexa (and echo dot) to interface with the leaf. You can find it on his website. Bit fiddly to get working.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,620 Posts
Given that as far as I can tell I haven't paid anything for the service, and the majority of the time it does what I want of it (i.e. it lets me turn on the climate control and every so often check how much charge I've put in when I'm not sitting in the car), frankly I think there are much more important things to be getting frustrated by.

For me, Nissan Connect+ EV is really nothing more than a nice little side show bonus. The car is great, it doesn't really need an app, but it's nice to have one. It could be better, and hopefully it will be with the next generation...the one good thing autonomous driving is bringing is that car manufacturers are having to become software houses!

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why do you think you haven't paid anything for the service. If you car is capable of using it then you have paid for it. It is used as another tool to help sell particular vehicles.

If you look at the attach screenshot (source: Prices & Specifications - Nissan LEAF - Electric Car | Nissan) which shows the pricing and what you get for each model, it is quite clear that anyone who drives anything other than a Visia is paying for the service. PS I could not fit in other models, 30kWs as would not fit in my screen size.

Attachments

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,620 Posts
Remind me what the subscription fee is?

As far as I can tell, it's nothing more than a free benefit. I'm paying my money for the car - maybe a tiny, tiny amount of that might be a perpetual licence to use Connect+, and so far as I can tell I can use it and the majority of the time it works.

I'm not paying for any support for it that I'm aware of, and I never noticed any terms in the sale for it's availability nor did I demand any, so I'd love to know what legal standing you're planning to use to try and convinve the courts to refund our nil fees for access...

There is no published price for Connect +, and you can't choose whether or not to have it, so what do you propose any refund be based on?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts