Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

What do those interested think the best way to get one of the first deliveries of the Nissan Ariya is?
Do you think it will be highly sought after like the Kia e-Niro was at first launch?
Any hints and tips to get on one at launch?

I'm impressed with this "built to be an EV from the ground up" car from the information available, and think I would definitely look to reserve one as soon as I can. I reckon due to decent range this could become the main family car. I think the "entry level" Ariya 63 KWH will suit our family needs, but if money were no object the e-4orce 87 KWH Performance model would be my choice. While 4x4 would be great in snow, my current Leaf drives OK in snow (probably due to in part to the battery weight)

I've expressed interest on the Nissan UK site via the register interest page. We currently have a Nissan Leaf (30 kWh) bought from brand new from a Nissan main dealer, but I doubt there will be any special preferences for existing owners, but will be asking anyway (as a loyal Nissan customer :) ).

Only slight disappointment is that this one is not UK built but personally I reckon Brexit put paid to that (hopefully if the UK sort out out a battery factory there may be more UK built Nissans to choose in future - the new model Leaf is just not compelling enough for me).

Surprised there is not more discussion on this forum about this car.

Latest video from Nissan

Cheers all,

Warwick Boy

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,491 Posts
Personally, I'm never an 'early adopter' but prefer to see what the motoring press think.

Also, early adopters are very much unofficially enrolled as testers by manufacturers when a new model is launched.

Given some makes are needing to have software updates, you'd need to be living close to your Nissan dealer to avoid clocking up miles on dealer visits.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Ariya is perfect from day one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No idea. Probably keep in touch with your dealer. As far as I'm aware there's no price info and just slated as late 2021 whatever that means. Interesting year though as could be spoilt for choice!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I'm never an 'early adopter' but prefer to see what the motoring press think.

Also, early adopters are very much unofficially enrolled as testers by manufacturers when a new model is launched.

Given some makes are needing to have software updates, you'd need to be living close to your Nissan dealer to avoid clocking up miles on dealer visits.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Ariya is perfect from day one.
This is a very good point, which I can attest to having bought a 2020 Audi that was first of a new model. There were a number of very frustrating software issues with the Multimedia Interface (MMI) software which were not sorted out by an 'at dealer' software update 8 months after launch (with no recompense from Audi). Those day 1 Leafs had some annoying omissions that were addressed in later models (e.g. no light in the charge bay). So it is a risk as you suggest.

From what I read those Kia e-Niro 'launch edition' folks were generally happy with their cars, and they were rewarded with a high specification car at a good price - of course absolutely no guarantee that this will be the case for Nissan.

I don't know whether those making a deposit on Nissans can get a full refund if they change their mind. This was the case with a £1000 Kia e-Niro deposit and I understand Tesla also allow this.

The most sensible people go for a v1.1 or v1.2 I think when the bugs have been ironed out (as used to be the case with Microsoft software :) )

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you really really want one, and you have to have it as close to launch a possible, check the deposit is refundable, and if so put one down. Should be fairly safe I don't think Nissan are about to go bust.
Have a look good look at the competition either already available or arriving imminently though. When it was announced it looked great, now 1 year ish on, still no cars. . . Not seeing anything that compelling about it, but it could be perfect for you?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,491 Posts
If you really really want one, and you have to have it as close to launch a possible, check the deposit is refundable, and if so put one down. Should be fairly safe I don't think Nissan are about to go bust.
Have a look good look at the competition either already available or arriving imminently though. When it was announced it looked great, now 1 year ish on, still no cars. . . Not seeing anything that compelling about it, but it could be perfect for you?
I'm sure there are a lot of new EVs in the pipeline from all the manufacturers.

Be great if Nissan were less conservative and announced an EV coupe or their first GTI with the 279bhp motor (rwd) and battery of the Ariya. This might attract younger buyers..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Feels to me like there are lots of similar cars now available (ID.4, Niro, Mach-e) with similar specs. The increasing competition means that I'd wait and pick the car that has the best deal available at the end of a quarter. I suspect you'll pay over the odds to be an early adopter (although I paid £23500 for my 40kwh Leaf 2.zero from pre order which is what similar spec Leafs are still advertised for) so I wouldn't pre order unless you definitely want the Ariya over other similar cars (especially as we don't know what the efficiency or charging curve will be like yet)

·
Registered
804 Posts
From what I read those Kia e-Niro 'launch edition' folks were generally happy with their cars, and they were rewarded with a high specification car at a good price -
I recall many describing it as the 'worst edition'. It had halogen headlights and missed a couple of other features. Also recall the Gen1 Kona didn't have App support. Reading between the lines on the forum, some of the early adopters quietly upgraded to the later models or other cars.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@farmergiles
To be fair to Nissan software does not seem to be a huge problem, its actually one area where I think they do better than most other manufacturers.Whether that will change with the Ariya I think probably not but I would back Nissan in that respect over the likes of VW or Peugeot.
@WarwickBoy
'Im impressed with this "built to be an EV from the ground up" car
I think the Leaf was built as an EV from ground up and apart from a few niggles its been pretty good so fingers crossed the Ariya will be as good.
Sounds like I'm criticising the two members quoted or even coming across as a Nissan fanboy (will never happen) but far from it, I am as excited as anyone about the next two years for the EV industry.If they can drive down costs and improve battery performance its thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,169 Posts
I'm really just waiting for the price information for the fwd 87kWh. Made in Japan, I think so quality should be good.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,491 Posts
@farmergiles

To be fair to Nissan software does not seem to be a huge problem, its actually one area where I think they do better than most other manufacturers.Whether that will change with the Ariya I think probably not but I would back Nissan in that respect over the likes of VW or Peugeot.
@WarwickBoy

I think the Leaf was built as an EV from ground up and apart from a few niggles its been pretty good so fingers crossed the Ariya will be as good.
Sounds like I'm criticising the two members quoted or even coming across as a Nissan fanboy (will never happen) but far from it, I am as excited as anyone about the next two years for the EV industry.If they can drive down costs and improve battery performance its thumbs up from me.
Yes, I agree, of all the EV owners on here, those with a Nissan number very few with software issues.
This is undoubtedly related to you second point, that Nissan has more experience of EV manufacture than any other manufacturer.
But, if they have changed the hardware on the Ariya, the software will have had to be changed as well, making it aan unknown quantity.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
I quite liked it but with the korean announcements its not quite so exciting and has had its thunder stolen. Will be a great family car for sure but Nissan have waited to long, it would have got a lot more attention if it had come out last year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Ariya is one of the contenders to replace my Outlander PHEV as the main family car this December, along with Enyaq iV and a couple of others. I also saw a new video of it this morning with roof rails, which moved it up the list for me (yes I know - strange priorities perhaps).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,896 Posts
To be fair to Nissan software does not seem to be a huge problem,
I'd have said the same thing about VW but they decided to change to an entirely new software language for a critical new car (the ID.3) and it didn't work out well.
I think the Leaf was built as an EV from ground up
That's open to debate. It uses a standard Nissan/Renault/Dacia floorpan but the body style is unique - for example the Renault Captur is the same floorpan but different style. I personally think that EVs will tend towards rear motors when freed from the constraints of ICE designed underpinnings as seen with the BMW i3, VW ID.3, Tesla etc.. The Ariya is based on the Renault initiated Common Module Family architecture where standard modules can be put together to form different floorpans and drive configurations, but I fear that this is ICE dominated (it initiated in 2013) as yet again the car is front wheel drive with added rear wheel drive to give 4x4 and it all seems predicated around space for an ICE at the front. If you look under the bonnet in a LEAF it is clear that the design is based around space for an ICE and associated cooling hence no frunk. As a LEAF owner I'd be happy to trade the wasted space under the boot floor to put the motor and gain either more cabin space at the front (like the ID.3) or a massive frunk.
Saying all of that the Kona and Niro are truly based on ICE and the owners really like them. So the Ariya may be an excellent car despite the modest underpinnings and the constraints they impose. As someone who dislikes all SUV I'm disappointed that Nissan are not launching the so called e-4orce AWD in the LEAF (it was developed in LEAF test mules) but as I expect the LEAF to be dropped in 2022 can understand why.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,491 Posts
As a LEAF owner I'd be happy to trade the wasted space under the boot floor to put the motor and gain either more cabin space at the front (like the ID.3) or a massive frunk.
Yes, it's obvious that the Leaf's engine bay is way too large for a motor.
Or make a new coupe' / 3door hatch GTI / 2+2 to attract younger buyers. making it lighter would give excellent performance and range with the 160kw motor and 62kwh battery.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,643 Posts
I'd have said the same thing about VW but they decided to change to an entirely new software language for a critical new car (the ID.3) and it didn't work out well.
This is a very good point, a lot of car companies have bulletproof software interfaces up until the point they don’t.

The BMW 2 series we just got rid of never had any software hiccups, but then it didn’t have any of the software features nor was trying to do what the ID range and other similar new EVs do.

I think VW are getting on top of their launch issues now, the factory built cars with later software don’t seem to be troublesome, but I think we’re kidding ourselves if we expect future EV software to be 100% problem free.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,896 Posts
Or make a new coupe' / 3door hatch GTI / 2+2 to attract younger buyers. making it lighter would give excellent performance and range with the 160kw motor and 62kwh battery.
That's great in theory, people go on about how they'd love such things but in reality don't buy them as there's always a lifestyle excuse. The Mazda MX-5 hasn't been a particular sales success (hence the partnership that produced the FIAT 124) and the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ which are fantastic cars sell in tiny numbers. Further marginalising that sort of thing by making it an EV and you'd never make money. The only reason to do it would be as a halo car for a company's technology like the i8 for BMW which was not cheap - an M3 does everything better apart from an emissions free school run.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,491 Posts
That's great in theory, people go on about how they'd love such things but in reality don't buy them as there's always a lifestyle excuse. The Mazda MX-5 hasn't been a particular sales success (hence the partnership that produced the FIAT 124) and the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ which are fantastic cars sell in tiny numbers. Further marginalising that sort of thing by making it an EV and you'd never make money. The only reason to do it would be as a halo car for a company's technology like the i8 for BMW which was not cheap - an M3 does everything better apart from an emissions free school run.
Sadly, you are right.
Let's face it, in this country there is little sheer driving pleasure to be had on our roads, although when I lived in the Highlands, it was a different story. (or course a BEV is not so useful due to the distances between public chargers)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This is a very good point, a lot of car companies have bulletproof software interfaces up until the point they don’t.

The BMW 2 series we just got rid of never had any software hiccups, but then it didn’t have any of the software features nor was trying to do what the ID range and other similar new EVs do.

I think VW are getting on top of their launch issues now, the factory built cars with later software don’t seem to be troublesome, but I think we’re kidding ourselves if we expect future EV software to be 100% problem free.
Whilst I think that overall the fleet emissions rules and fines are a good thing, forcing manufacturers down the road of zero emission vehicles, it is not a surprise that software maturity is a victim of the push to get EVs out on the market as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,169 Posts
Sadly, you are right.
Let's face it, in this country there is little sheer driving pleasure to be had on our roads, although when I lived in the Highlands, it was a different story. (or course a BEV is not so useful due to the distances between public chargers)
I never really understood what "driving pleasure" was/is. The closest I can get is ariving at my planned destination with all occupants and car intact, and being comfortable during the journey.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts