Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,896 Posts
That's missing the point, sometimes the journey itself can be enjoyable. But that's less often the case and it's more often the case that it's transactional as you describe.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
Maybe you've never experienced driving a hot hatch through the deserted Yorkshire Dales in the 1980s, or the traffic free Highland roads in the '90s.
Modern vehicles are very uninvolving to drive and you cannot get less involving than Teslas autopilot or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,169 Posts
Seems rather selfish. Roads are not really for entertainment and driving like you are on top gear should be discouraged.

If Tesla or any other car with autopilot could negotiate the North Circular without incident I might be impressed.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
Seems rather selfish. Roads are not really for entertainment and driving like you are on top gear should be discouraged.
I do apologise and now feel so guilty, especially since in those days, there were no speed cameras, ANPR or unmarked police cars so speed limits were sometimes often ignored (particularly when on two wheels)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Maybe I was a bit harsh on boy racers. My early driving experience were driving a 28 Yr old Austin A35 van up an down the A12 (when it was all concrete) Getting to 60 in that was all the excitement I needed and since then my main driving priority has been comfort. So if the Ariya is as comfortable as the Leaf, or better, it should be my next car.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Hi guys,

What do those interested think the best way to get one of the first deliveries of the Nissan Ariya is?
Do you think it will be highly sought after like the Kia e-Niro was at first launch?
Any hints and tips to get on one at launch?

I'm impressed with this "built to be an EV from the ground up" car from the information available, and think I would definitely look to reserve one as soon as I can. I reckon due to decent range this could become the main family car. I think the "entry level" Ariya 63 KWH will suit our family needs, but if money were no object the e-4orce 87 KWH Performance model would be my choice. While 4x4 would be great in snow, my current Leaf drives OK in snow (probably due to in part to the battery weight)

I've expressed interest on the Nissan UK site via the register interest page. We currently have a Nissan Leaf (30 kWh) bought from brand new from a Nissan main dealer, but I doubt there will be any special preferences for existing owners, but will be asking anyway (as a loyal Nissan customer :) ).

Only slight disappointment is that this one is not UK built but personally I reckon Brexit put paid to that (hopefully if the UK sort out out a battery factory there may be more UK built Nissans to choose in future - the new model Leaf is just not compelling enough for me).

View attachment 142919

Surprised there is not more discussion on this forum about this car.

Latest video from Nissan

Cheers all,

Warwick Boy
I’m with you but like others, I suggest to wait and get the full picture before ordering.
Nissan did a marvellous job on the Leaf, especially on the engineering side, including the software.

Hyundai did a quite good job in the previous Ioniq, but IMO the design team botched it. Some may like that shape but I don’t, at all.
Different story on the Ioniq 5 where the design team did a marvellous job.
Yet we also see big battery recalls at Hyundai on the Kona.

So I would wait and see how these vehicles launch before placing an order.

Nissan may have launched early but they haven’t unveiled much about the car yet, only the basic stuff. In the meanwhile Hyundai has unveiled everything about their new car so Nissan could pick up some of theit interesting idea’s before the cars go into production.

I think that Nissan needs to integrate access to raw data in the software, a mesh between the GT-R MFD display and Leafspy.
EV drivers want to know how much kWh has been regenerated, but also the expected charging profile (graph showing kW power in function of SOC %), so we can best time when is the right time to leave for the next charger.
We want to see on the app how much kWh we have and the charging power.

I also want to see both Chademo and CCS charging ports. Both for the redundancy at public chargers which may have either out of service due to a bad charging port and this will only get worse with increasing EV’s abusing the chargers, but also because CCS is becoming more popular while at the same time the bidirectional potential of the Chademo protocol is being recognised where CCS with bidirectional may not be available for a while.
Wallbox is offering the Quasar which offers bidirectional charging at 7kW in a compact Wallbox format.

It may not seem relevant to some, but those who have solar and don’t have a backwards turning meter because of local regulations and are selling the electricity during the day in the summer only to buy it back at a higher rate at night or in the winter, may want to store any excess in their car.
Home batteries are more expensive than EV’s in terms of price per kWh of storage.
The Tesla Powerwall 2 is about 8K EUR for 13kWh installed and that’s about the best value that you will get.
For many, it will make more sense to store the excess in an EV that has lower kWh battery prices than a Powerwall or any home battery.
Nissan should also abandon their own V2H system that looks too big and expensive, and work with Wallbox to make a push for bidirectional through Chademo.

They should also enable the Quasar for use as a solar charger to minimise losses. DC solar current goes straight into the battery as DC, instead of DC to AC back to DC.

People without solar may not see the merits right away, but if you have free charging opportunities in your neighbourhood or at work, you can imagine the endless benefits of bidirectional charging...

The Ioniq 5 will have V2L but how fun will it be to walk around the house with that extension cord...but it could be useful in lieu of a generator at a job site or for a hot dog stand.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
Maybe I was a bit harsh on boy racers. My early driving experience were driving a 28 Yr old Austin A35 van up an down the A12 (when it was all concrete) Getting to 60 in that was all the excitement I needed and since then my main driving priority has been comfort. So if the Ariya is as comfortable as the Leaf, or better, it should be my next car.
I really thought you were joking, as was I in my reply! :cry:
I'll have you know that I am proud to be an 'old boy' racer and my next EV will be a Mach-E with all wheel drive and extended range. (you couldn't lend me £50k by any chance?)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,867 Posts

If Tesla or any other car with autopilot could negotiate the North Circular without incident I might be impressed.
Yeah, stop going out and having fun it your cars you lot.

Just grow up.

Also, sand castles should be banned!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Some sense of humour failures there. We all have different preferences when choosing cars and I am happy to tell others what mine are. The Ariya should suit me fine and I hope it lives up to my expectations.

As for driving behaviours, however you choose to drive, it is understood that we should obey the law and follow the Highway Code. If there are laws relating to sandcastles I would expect these to be followed too.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
Some sense of humour failures there. We all have different preferences when choosing cars and I am happy to tell others what mine are. The Ariya should suit me fine and I hope it lives up to my expectations.

As for driving behaviours, however you choose to drive, it is understood that we should obey the law and follow the Highway Code. If there are laws relating to sandcastles I would expect these to be followed too.
Your punishment for S.O.H. failiure is to read every word of the OP's on this thread.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've been looking for the Ariya to arrive, but the spec of the Skoda Enyaq looks better to me, which will leave me with the problem of exiting the Nissan PCP on the Leaf (2 years into a 3 year contract) to switch to Skoda. Ideas welcome.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
I've been looking for the Ariya to arrive, but the spec of the Skoda Enyaq looks better to me, which will leave me with the problem of exiting the Nissan PCP on the Leaf (2 years into a 3 year contract) to switch to Skoda. Ideas welcome.
Just ask the finance company for a settlement figure, pay it, hand the car back and then start from scratch with the Skoda.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Just ask the finance company for a settlement figure, pay it, hand the car back and then start from scratch with the Skoda.
Is that likely to give a better outcome than me settling the PCP and then selling the Leaf, after 2 years into a 3 year contract? (Cue: how long is a piece of string?)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,492 Posts
Depends on how much it will cost you - i.e how much equity you have invested in it (eg from a big deposit)

Depending on used prices, when my pcp is up or I decide to settle early, I might well buy the car from RCI and then see if this gives me a better trade in deal.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Just registered an interest in the Ariya with my local dealer and asked when a test drive vehicle will be available. I have about a dozen EVs on my list and am looking forward to trying them all out. Only concern is that "late 2021" will soon mean "mid-2022" as semiconductor shortages start to bite.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Depends on how much it will cost you - i.e how much equity you have invested in it (eg from a big deposit)

Depending on used prices, when my pcp is up or I decide to settle early, I might well buy the car from RCI and then see if this gives me a better trade in deal.
I agree. If you see a PCP to conclusion worth seeing the market value of your vehicle. I had a 5 series that was worth slightly more that the final payment to buy so bought it from BMW and then sold to a private buyer for more (settling the finance with BMW with some of the balance paid me for the car).

advantages were:
  • Made £1600 after Autotrader fees
  • No quibbles on scratches/alloy/general car involved which can I’m told catch you out when handing back a car at the end of a PCP

disadvantage were:
- hassle of selling privately (but plenty of guides online on how to do safely)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts