Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the above, Was visiting the West Country on a staycation holiday before Lockdown 2.0 in the LEAF. Was charging on a Polar rapid in Plymouth, as needed a charge before returning to our hotel 30 miles away in St Austell, when after 2kW it stopped abruptly. Car came up with a Check EV System error. After calling Polar to release the charger from the car (it was locked and had to wait 30 mins on the phone), the car refused to start.

Called out Nissan Assistance (RAC) who attended (was quite quick considering it was Friday evening at 1630) and identified that it was a HV issue which the Technician was not trained to investigate. Thus, the car had to be towed to the closest Nissan dealership (as per the agreement in place). Was advised that we would be entitled to onward travel assistance, so call made to the onward assistance team. This was at 1900. Was promised that a car would be provided the same evening. Thankfully we were in a safe location (Crowne Plaza in Plymouth). 2 hours later, received a call from Enterprise in our home town asking where to drop the hire car off. Told the guy that we were in Plymouth, he was surprised and of course was unable to assist. Called the onward travel team again and was subsequently advised that no car could be provided that evening after all and we had to make our own way back to our hotel (they said that although they could provide a taxi, this was for a limited distance and in doing so we would waiver the right to a hire car). Reluctantly and with no option, we decided to take the train and cue 1 hr train journey, followed by 30 min walk back to our hotel at 2230 (we broke down at 1600). Was agreed that the hire car would be provided at our hotel the next morning.

Cue Saturday morning and no car. Enterprise called us at 10am saying that they would not be able to bring the car to us afterall - they were in Torquay (despite onward assistance saying that the car would come from Bodmin). They tried in vain to get a taxi authorised (they were unable to get through to the onward travel team). Roll on 1330 and they were able to provide a driver to come and pick us (and our luggage) up to go collect the car (we had to check out due to moving to a different hotel that night).

En-route to pick up the car, the drive advised that he was actually on call for emergencies and if Nissan Assistance had contact him the previous evening, he would have come to collect us and provided us with the Hire Car!! Cue angry face.. Finally picked car up at 1500, nearly 24 hours after our breakdown.

Managed to complete the remaining days of our holiday, after being advised that the local dealership was unable to look at the car until the following Tuesday (when we would be back home),

Got a call on Wednesday from the dealership to advise that the car would need to go to Gateshead for repair. Great!!! Was advised that Gateshead team would contact me to arrange for the car to be returned back to me at my home address. Dealership provided my details to them.

Cue 2 weeks later, and after speaking to Gateshead and requesting to be kept up to date on the repair, and a several calls to Nissan Customer Services, got a call from the dealership in Plymouth to say that the car had repaired and had been returned to them!!! Not impressed was an understatement.

Call made to Nissan Customer Care who implied that it was my responsibility to travel 250 miles to go and collect the car - wasn’t going to happen as I was back at work. Was advised that the Case Manager handling my case would arrange for the car to be collected and returned to me. Told the Case Manager to let me know when the car was to be collected and delivered so I could arrange for someone to be at home to take receipt. This was Monday. Did I get a call...?!! Hmm, bet you can guess the answer.

Cue 4 days layer, no phone call from Case Manager. Called dealership in Plymouth to ascertain if they had been contacted from Nissan UK - was told that the car had been collected and was being driven the 250 miles back to my home address!! Got a call at 1630 Thursday from the driver to say that he was outside my house. Great!! Driver was unable to wait until I got home after work so agreed for the keys to be dropped through letterbox, but only after requesting Nissan UK to take responsibility of any damage that may have occurred with the car - thankfully no damage.

Still waiting to hear from the Case Manager ref reimbursement of fuel costs incurred with hire car, the additional charge to extend the stay in the hotel, train fare and root cause analysis of the breakdown. Also awaiting an update as to why a Hire Car was not provided to us on the night of the breakdown despite being promised this would happen.

Thankfully we were in a safe location when the breakdown occurred and not in the middle of nowhere, but as you can imagine not very impressed with our Case Manager and the whole handling of the incident. So, take note - the Nissan Assistance breakdown package is not all that appears and there are an awful lot of restrictions.

What a sad ending to what was a pleasant staycation holiday...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Agreed - like most other so-called 'customer service' teams, the Nissan lot are not a lot of help !

However, look up the email address for Nissan's CEO and complain there - reaction is rapid and thorough.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
763 Posts
That all reminds me of the trauma I had when my env200 failed to start when it was just 2 months old, Nissan UK, the breakdown company & dealership couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, either on there own or between em..
But to be honest I think most of the big organisations are just as bad, the more companies & people involved the worse it is.. Its like a game of Chinese whispers & by the time it gets back to you none of the original conversation is left & you have to go through the whole thing again 🙄
Its only when problems occur that we find how good or bad a company really is... Good luck...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's all a question of priorities (Nissan's - not ours !). Manning a helpline probably isn't seen as a high status job so recruiting for it doesn't get much attention. As the old saying goes : "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys" ! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Better to just have your own nationwide recovery with the AA or RAC ?

I'm with the AA and have had two short range recoveries (under 20 miles) due to punctures on the Ion and no spare tyre, but I haven't tested them out long distance... (hopefully I will never need to!)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Some years ago, my car broke down on the M1. At the time I was with 'National Breakdown' (since rebadged as Green Flag) who found a local contractor to pick me up and take me to my destination. He arrived well within the target hour promised (ISTR it was around 40 mins from my call). Whilst awaiting rescue, I was chatting to another driver a short distance away who had been there when I arrived. When my rescuer came into sight, I suggested to him that it must be his. "No" he said "I'm with the AA and they always use their own vehicles". Well he was (sort of) right in that he had come for me. However, a couple of miles into our journey he received a radio call (I said it was a long time ago) asking if he was free to pick up a client on behalf of the AA from my location ! For all I know, my new mate is still parked on the M1 :devilish:

My point is that there are no 100% reliable recovery companies !

FWIW, when I broke down a few hundred yards from home last year, Nissan recovery had a local contractor with me inside half an hour of my phone call. The rest of the story isn't quite so rosy - the Nissan dealer where the car was taken took three weeks to decide it needed to go to Gateshead for a major battery repair ! Though pleased to report when they finally became involved Lookers turned it round within a day.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all - good news. Following @EricM advise, I sent a follow up email to a senior member of the Nissan UK team (appears to be the MD - not sure if the current or past one). And surprisingly, this woke the Customer Service team up and now I have a new Case Manager assigned. They've promised to review my case and follow up next week.

Thanks to @EricM for the suggestion, but really shouldn't have needed to take this level of escalation to get action.

Although the $$ of costs incurred is quite low (GBP 90.00), it is all the principles surrounding the handling of the incident that left a bitter taste.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better to just have your own nationwide recovery with the AA or RAC ?

I'm with the AA and have had two short range recoveries (under 20 miles) due to punctures on the Ion and no spare tyre, but I haven't tested them out long distance... (hopefully I will never need to!)
I do have a recovery service through my bank account, which I was thinking of using vs. Nissan Assistance, but I didn't want to cause any issues in the event of a warranty claim (which was the case here).

Certainly, when I spoke to the RAC guy who attended, he said that if I had requested direct RAC support, then they would have been able to recover the car to my home Nissan dealership, but due to the terms of the support package supplied via Nissan, the T&Cs stipulated that the car had to be recovered to the closest dealership..

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hello all - good news. Following @EricM advise, I sent a follow up email to a senior member of the Nissan UK team (appears to be the MD - not sure if the current or past one). And surprisingly, this woke the Customer Service team up and now I have a new Case Manager assigned. They've promised to review my case and follow up next week.

Thanks to @EricM for the suggestion, but really shouldn't have needed to take this level of escalation to get action.

Although the $$ of costs incurred is quite low (GBP 90.00), it is all the principles surrounding the handling of the incident that left a bitter taste.
Glad I could help. Nissan are not alone in having this sort of two-tier help function - just about any company with a (so-called) 'help desk' also have a team of people attached to their chairman's office to field all the complaints about their (lack of) help via the official channel.

That's why I have https://www.ceoemail.com on my list of 'favourites' !

I'm currently using it to complain about our local Hermes driver who seems to have decided that he's too important to have to visit our estate so marks all parcels for us & our neighbours as "difficulty in accessing premises" then returns them to sender. Had a very friendly email from a personal assistant to their CEO who assures me they will get it sorted out.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I do have a recovery service through my bank account, which I was thinking of using vs. Nissan Assistance, but I didn't want to cause any issues in the event of a warranty claim (which was the case here).

Certainly, when I spoke to the RAC guy who attended, he said that if I had requested direct RAC support, then they would have been able to recover the car to my home Nissan dealership, but due to the terms of the support package supplied via Nissan, the T&Cs stipulated that the car had to be recovered to the closest dealership..
I would rather have my car recovered home or to a dealer near my home and sort it out from there than having it taken to a strange dealer hundreds of miles away from where I live for a major repair.

Your experience only reinforces that. So if I was covered by both Nissan and the AA and Nissan would only transport it to the nearest dealer hundreds of miles from where I live I would use my AA membership nationwide recovery.

I don't see how using the AA to transport the car home would have any bearing on Warranty coverage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts