Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
What was the point of selling AESC??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
A lot of this stuff is in the context of a favourable brexit deal for car manufacturers and demand for huge volumes of cells to be made in the UK.

Being dependant on China, EU countries the States or anyone else really is not a good option. If you are going to make cars in any volume in the future you are going to need huge volumes of indigenously produced batteries.

There will be a lot of government support for this now as well. Far more than would have been possible if we had stayed in the EU.

It's no surprise Musk is sniffing round now we have tarrif free access for car exports to EU. We will probably end up with very favourable deals with right hand drive markets like Australia as well . Tarrifs are already being phased out with Japan as part of our deal with them (And also the EU's deal with Japan)

The last paper I saw on UK battery demand suggested we would need at least 5 gigabattery plants just to satisfy our existing vehicle production capacity. Who is going to build and own the factories ? You can't just import all these cells. They make up 40% of the value of the vehicles. You leave yourself wide open to huge price hikes or constraint of supply.

The government has created a very favourable environment for investment in plant in the UK in the next few years, I expect there to be a few big announcements in this area before long.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
A lot of this stuff is in the context of a favourable brexit deal for car manufacturers and demand for huge volumes of cells to be made in the UK.

Being dependant on China, EU countries the States or anyone else really is not a good option. If you are going to make cars in any volume in the future you are going to need huge volumes of indigenously produced batteries.

There will be a lot of government support for this now as well. Far more than would have been possible if we had stayed in the EU.

It's no surprise Musk is sniffing round now we have tarrif free access for car exports to EU. We will probably end up with very favourable deals with right hand drive markets like Australia as well . Tarrifs are already being phased out with Japan as part of our deal with them (And also the EU's deal with Japan)

The last paper I saw on UK battery demand suggested we would need at least 5 gigabattery plants just to satisfy our existing vehicle production capacity. Who is going to build and own the factories ? You can't just import all these cells. They make up 40% of the value of the vehicles. You leave yourself wide open to huge price hikes or constraint of supply.

The government has created a very favourable environment for investment in plant in the UK in the next few years, I expect there to be a few big announcements in this area before long.
Ermmm did we not previously already have tariff free access to the EU for our cars and a trade deal with Japan?
And do the EU and Japanese manufacturers not also benefit from reciprocal access to our market?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
Ermmm did we not previously already have tariff free access to the EU for our cars and a trade deal with Japan?
And do the EU and Japanese manufacturers not also benefit from reciprocal access to our market?

No way Jose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes but it was far from certain to continue for the last 4 years. These are huge investments that require certainty and stability.

For a long time it seemed we would end up with a WTO deal with Europe. Who is going to spend billions on new plant in UK if this was the case ?

You don't seem to understand the issues surrounding this. Yes we had that arrangement historically.

We also have the same arrangement now.

But it seemed very unlikely this would be the case for the last 4 years or so making big investment decisions like this impossible over this period.

Now we have certainty for the first time in years these sort of big investments can be made again.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes but it was far from certain to continue for the last 4 years. These are huge investments that require certainty and stability.

For a long time it seemed we would end up with a WTO deal with Europe. Who is going to spend billions on new plant in UK if this was the case ?

You don't seem to understand the issues surrounding this. Yes we had that arrangement historically.

We also have the same arrangement now.

But it seemed very unlikely this would be the case for the last 4 years or so making big investment decisions like this impossible over this period.

Now we have certainty for the first time in years these sort of big investments can be made again.
Well yes the uncertainty of the last 5 years was a big drag on investment. I'm still not sure this is particularly positive. In order to continue in the UK companies like Nissan will need to have higher locally sourced content and in particular batteries, hence the announcement.
On the face of it is great that Nissan continue making cars and great that we will have battery manufacturing in the UK, but I think who's paying is the question. Looks like UK tax payers may be providing a substantial chunk?
That's not really the same inward investment story as in the past but it could be worse. I'm not sure the implications of state aid rules and Brexit have really been proven as yet either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Regardless of some of the fine detail (I recognise that if this story is true then the government is bound to have been oiling the wheels with taxpayer money) I think it's good news for the UK. Strategically it makes sense to be on the global stage with EVs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds very positive and if the Britishvolt factory at Blyth goes ahead then having two gigafactories in one area to draw in skilled staff with attractive opportunities with a range of companies, might kick off a virtuous cycle and support further growth.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Previously Nissan could import batteries from the US for the Leaf e+, pay any import duty on them set by the EU Single Market external tariff, and then sell the cars free of duty into the EU. Now, they need to show that the cars have sufficient EU or British content, and apparently the e+ wouldn’t have qualified. So they need to source the batteries in the U.K./EU.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Previously Nissan could import batteries from the US for the Leaf e+, pay any import duty on them set by the EU Single Market external tariff, and then sell the cars free of duty into the EU. Now, they need to show that the cars have sufficient EU or British content, and apparently the e+ wouldn’t have qualified. So they need to source the batteries in the U.K./EU.
So another success for Brexit!

Whilst I know there have been some hairy moments over the last 4 years or so, it finally looks like we are getting the benefits of leaving the EU. Long may it continue!

·
Registered
702 Posts
So another success for Brexit!

Whilst I know there have been some hairy moments over the last 4 years or so, it finally looks like we are getting the benefits of leaving the EU. Long may it continue!
Exactly. Impossible to argue it's not beneficial to reshore production of components with all the extra employment , investment and taxs it will create .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts