Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 2.1.3 update on iOS about 2 weeks ago I have had very intermittent connections to my car (2019 Leaf 40kw)

At the moment I can' get any charge data or control the heating, lights etc. My Leaf app and on Alexa also no longer working - so pretty sure it is Nissan infrastructure, or, lower probability, that my car has decided to stop communicating just when Nissan release an update to the iOS software.

Anyone else, as Nissan Customer Services seem to be in default "must be your end" mode?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Working fine here (2020 car) on my Android Nissan app, My Leaf and my Home Assistant setup. The My Leaf app uses the same backend library for all platforms, and shouldn't be influenced by any updates to Nissan's own app on the same device.

Have you tried it with the car parked in a different location? Perhaps the mobile infrastructure has changed in a way that makes your parking spot worse?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Home Assistant
Which integration are you using?

Using the default integration, my CarWings car starts up HA with correct readings almost every time. But get error 408 and 401 every time it's meant to refresh the status.

Regarding the iOS app, seems to be working fine here for my CarWings car.

Although in recent months, I've never gotten driving history to work on their website. It goes to Nissan Connect and just shows "please log in again". So it is entirely possible something isn't configured right on their end.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to careful about apples and oranges here. I am using Nissan Connect Services on a 2019 Leaf. I believe CarWings is the older infrastructure? The My Leaf App will adapt depending on which way you login.

Have you tried it with the car parked in a different location? Perhaps the mobile infrastructure has changed in a way that makes your parking spot worse?
Yes, that thought occurred to me too although it has worked at my home for months. I tried in several locations yesterday with the same result. Do you know if it uses 2/3 or 4G?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It’s working for me and my 2019 40kWh Leaf. I have version 2.1.3 of NissanConnect on my iPhone running IOS 14.4.1

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am beginning to think this may be the issue. Nothing working this morning on my drive, but when my wife drove car to another location, suddenly got charge complete notification and updated data. And as other people are ok (Planky sounds identical setup to me), does sound as if specific to me. Does anyone know how to tell for sure if the car is in coverage? Also will it use the WiFi network for charge etc if connected to my home network?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I am beginning to think this may be the issue. Nothing working this morning on my drive, but when my wife drove car to another location, suddenly got charge complete notification and updated data. And as other people are ok (Planky sounds identical setup to me), does sound as if specific to me. Does anyone know how to tell for sure if the car is in coverage? Also will it use the WiFi network for charge etc if connected to my home network?
Go to the map screen and look for the icon of a car in the top right with curved signal lines (like a WiFi icon) above it. If it's not connected there will be a red cross instead.

Not to be confused with the vertical signal bars and battery indicated just beside this which is the signal of your bluetooth paired mobile phone.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,520 Posts
It’s working for me and my 2019 40kWh Leaf. I have version 2.1.3 of NissanConnect on my iPhone running IOS 14.4.1
Working for me too, same version on Android and 2020 E+. I've not had any probs with it although it is a bit slow at times.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to the map screen and look for the icon of a car in the top right with curved signal lines (like a WiFi icon) above it. If it's not connected there will be a red cross instead.
Thank you - yes right now it is in coverage! But then it is now working <sigh> . So looks like maybe "real world" issues with a passing cloud or something! Or maybe Nissan did something as a result of my report. Or the mobile operator or whatever. Anyway, next time it doesn't work I know how to check coverage thank you.

As a matter of interest does anyone know which mobile network the car uses and what protocol (2, 3 or 4G)? We are supposed to have good coverage on all networks here. Use BT/EE for our mobiles and they have full strength 4G signal.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,520 Posts
Thank you - yes right now it is in coverage! But then it is now working <sigh> . So looks like maybe "real world" issues with a passing cloud or something! Or maybe Nissan did something as a result of my report. Or the mobile operator or whatever. Anyway, next time it doesn't work I know how to check coverage thank you.

As a matter of interest does anyone know which mobile network the car uses and what protocol (2, 3 or 4G)? We are supposed to have good coverage on all networks here. Use BT/EE for our mobiles and they have full strength 4G signal.

Thank you to everyone who responded.
It will be a universal sim which works on all networks otherwise in quite a few areas it wouldn't work at all. It's probably 3/4g.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
It will be a universal sim which works on all networks otherwise in quite a few areas it wouldn't work at all. It's probably 3/4g.
Earlier Leaf's were all 2G GPRS. Not sure when/if they switched to 3G/4G in the UK if indeed they have! Not sure how you would tell either.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,520 Posts
Earlier Leaf's were all 2G GPRS. Not sure when/if they switched to 3G/4G in the UK if indeed they have! Not sure how you would tell either.
You are probably correct. I assumed a faster connection because of the increasing numbers of Leafs causing a bottleneck, rather than because they need a faster connection per se.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
You are probably correct. I assumed a faster connection because of the increasing numbers of Leafs causing a bottleneck, rather than because they need a faster connection per se.
A slow 2G connection won't cause any kind of bottleneck for Nissan, only for the 2G data coverage in your area. (Since 2G is an extremely inefficient use of radio bandwidth and is easily saturated in a given area)

Nissan connected services stopped working on early US Leaf's (up to about 2015 I think but I would need to check) a year or so ago because the last 2G networks were switched off in the US - Nissans response was that they could replace the Telematics unit with a 3G capable one if the owner wanted - for several thousand dollars... :rolleyes:

I suspect my 2016 30kWh Leaf does still use 2G so if that ever gets switched off entirely in the UK that could be the end of remote control of the car as I wouldn't be paying out of my own pocket to upgrade the Telematics unit..

I'm really curious to know which UK Leaf's use 2G and which might use 3G but I can't seem to find any information about it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,520 Posts
A slow 2G connection won't cause any kind of bottleneck for Nissan, only for the 2G data coverage in your area. (Since 2G is an extremely inefficient use of radio bandwidth and is easily saturated in a given area)

Nissan connected services stopped working on early US Leaf's (up to about 2015 I think but I would need to check) a year or so ago because the last 2G networks were switched off in the US - Nissans response was that they could replace the Telematics unit with a 3G capable one if the owner wanted - for several thousand dollars... :rolleyes:

I suspect my 2016 30kWh Leaf does still use 2G so if that ever gets switched off entirely in the UK that could be the end of remote control of the car as I wouldn't be paying out of my own pocket to upgrade the Telematics unit..

I'm really curious to know which UK Leaf's use 2G and which might use 3G but I can't seem to find any information about it.
It's possible they use 2g as a backup if 3g isn't available so no one should have to have their telematics unit replaced.
I'm not sure I agree about the bottleneck issue. Whereas the phone network and Nissan's servers maybe able to handle the data, the slower the data rate is, the more simultaneous connections have to be opened and there must be a limit on how many their servers can handle at once. Makes more sense to use the fastest connection speed so the transaction is completed and the connection to your vehicle closed in as short a time as possible. I'm thinking it in terms of how YouTube operates. The network activity on my 67Mb connection is in bursts with at least a 30second buffer.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've had to replace old 2G phones that stopped working - my Mum had a Motorola RZR as an emergency, just stopped working. Took me ages to diagnose the problem - all OK when I put the SIM in a 3G phone. The RZR still worked on other networks that supported 2G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a very similar problem. Since February I have had massive problems connecting to my 40kWh 2019 Leaf. It had been working fine for the previous year. I go for days on end now without getting a connection to see the battery level or car location. This is a real pain as I have an Ohme smart charger - which also can't connect. So I think it's the car connection to the Nissan server that's the problem. I also have the My Leaf app - and that can't connect most of the time either. It's not the car location - I had wondered if a local phone mast was down . I have driven the car 30 miles away from my house and still not a sniff of a connection. I had read on another forum that since the update others have had connection issues which were fixed by getting Nissan to remove and add back their car from the service. So perhaps it needs some sort of resetting. I don't know . But it is really annoying me now.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am having a very similar problem. Since February I have had massive problems connecting to my 40kWh 2019 Leaf. It had been working fine for the previous year. I go for days on end now without getting a connection to see the battery level or car location. .... So perhaps it needs some sort of resetting. I don't know . But it is really annoying me now.
My car started working again after I contacted Nissan - that may have been coincidence or they may have "tweaked" something - nothing changed my end. I was subsequently contacted by what I assume was second line support and they asked me to run some tests. It was implied that they have had issues, although mine resolved before their involvement. Therefore I would recommend asking for support from Nissan as I think they now have a team with expertise in place and will take the problem seriously. You may have to push to get through the routine first line support and you are probably going to go through (a pointless) app reinstall! I submitted my request online and everything else was email, so you don't have to wait in a telephone queue anymore either.
I asked the person at Nissan and they said my car (2019 40Kwh) was on EE 4G. Was slightly surprised it was EE specific given earlier comments. My mobile is on the same network and has full coverage at home.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,520 Posts
I asked the person at Nissan and they said my car (2019 40Kwh) was on EE 4G. Was slightly surprised it was EE specific given earlier comments. My mobile is on the same network and has full coverage at home.
I don't believe they don't use a universal E-sim. Much of the Highlands have no EE coverage and the big 4 telecoms companies seem to have carved up the remoter areas so only a couple provide a service. This may change, but I had to have two sims in my smartphone so I had coverage depending where I parked up in my motorhome.

Also, I believe the telematics includes an emergency function which contact Nissan Emergency Support if an air bag goes off so max possible coverage is needed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts