Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched an ad on channel 4, Nissan Juke "Nissan connect services requires subscription after year 3" ?? I guess this will apply across the board? What then for over the air updates etc ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think that’s always been the case. I’m on my third LEAF and even on the first one back in 2013 you only got three years included. I’ve always leased the cars for three years so it’s never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think that’s always been the case. I’m on my third LEAF and even on the first one back in 2013 you only got three years included. I’ve always leased the cars for three years so it’s never been an issue for me.
Strange - I've always checked the glossy literature when buying a Leaf (that's 4 now) and I've always concluded that the service was marketed as part of the deal I was paying for. If there was any mention of charging after 3 years it must have been buried deep in the text and I wonder what the legitimacy of introducing charging would be if that wasn't made explicitly obvious at the time..

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Well this is very strange...

I just bought a 2016 30kWh Leaf second hand a month ago and when I set up the connected services (which I had to get Nissan technical support to do via email because the car was still on the previous owners account) the You+Nissan website said I get three years free (expiry 05/03/2023) and I was already subscribed to it, however it also gave me an option to subscribe for 8 years (ending 28/10/2028) also for free! So naturally I clicked on the button to do that and I presume in 2023 it will change over from one free subscription to the other... screenshot below.

All the listed services (not all shown in this screenshot) are the same for both "subscriptions".

Why have all this rigmarole for "subscribing" if it's free for 8 years anyway ? I am pretty certain I won't have the car 8 years from now. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In its current state it's not a service worth subscribing to, free or otherwise.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
In its current state it's not a service worth subscribing to, free or otherwise.
I hear this a lot but it actually works reliably for me.

In the couple of months I’ve used it I’ve only seen one (presumed) server outage that lasted an hour, and maybe three or four times where I’ve had to force close the app and open it again.

Aside from that remote climate control works every time within about a minute and retrieving charge levels while a bit slow (as the car only checks in about once a minute to see if a request is pending) also works reliably.

I actually use it quite a bit and at least once a day.

Am I the only one it works for ?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,381 Posts
Worked for me most of the time with my Leaf 40 but you usually had to kill the app and restart it as the authentication was crap. There were a few days where it didn't work at all and it did take a while to get working to start with. Not every demand worked on first ask either. The remote climate sometimes took 2 goes to make it work.

I think vauxhall use the same system as the app and web page are a familiar layout. Also the connect button and the faff involved in connecting the car to the app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Send to car for a route in mapping has never worked for me. Tried many times.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Am I the only one it works for ?
Wait until the cold, frosty mornings come. That's when a lot of people will be trying to use it to preheat their cars.

I haven't had a problem with it most of the time, but had a few problems on cold mornings in the winter. Annoyingly, that is the time that you most want it.

If they start to ask for a payment to use it, I won't be subscribing.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Worked for me most of the time with my Leaf 40 but you usually had to kill the app and restart it as the authentication was crap.
Yes, they definitely have authentication problems - trying to log into the You+Nissan web portal only seems to have about a 50% chance of succeeding... I found that extremely frustrating when originally trying to get the car connected to the You+Nissan account although in the end someone at Nissan had to do it for me anyway as it was still added on the previous owners account, and instead of just deleting it off the old account they did all the setup for me as well includinging adding the 3 year subscription and naming the Leaf for me. (which annoyingly I can't rename)

However the iPhone app seems to cache an authentication token so it rarely ever needs to re-authenticate. (Maybe once every week or two I see it drop back to the login screen in the app)

Instead of trying to reauthenticate when that does happen (which usually results in it getting stuck on loading a "notification") I found it better to simply force kill the app and re-launch it, and it seems to use the cached token once again without requiring the password.

Certainly could be better but I've only had to reauthenticate in the app about 5 times in two months, so not particularly worse than some other apps that seem to want reauthentication quite often. (Honeywell TotalConnect I'm looking at you)
Send to car for a route in mapping has never worked for me. Tried many times.
Haven't tried that feature and I have no interest in it. All I want to do in order of importance is:

• Start/Stop climate control remotely.
  • Check current state of charge and estimated range and charging time.
  • Remotely override the charge timer to start charging immediately.
These all work very reliably for me, so far at least. I admit they might become less reliable in winter when more people are trying to use it.

One feature that does interest me that doesn't work properly is the trip logging and economy statistics. It half works in that some of my journeys are logged but at random some journeys will not be logged. My daily commute is dividied into 3 or 4 separate car-on driving sessions depending on whether I turn the car off when we drop off our son, and more often than not one of the legs of the journey will not be logged, so I've given up on this feature having any real use as it isn't accurate.
Wait until the cold, frosty mornings come. That's when a lot of people will be trying to use it to preheat their cars.

I haven't had a problem with it most of the time, but had a few problems on cold mornings in the winter. Annoyingly, that is the time that you most want it.
I use the built in climate timer on weekday mornings so I'll be OK there. :) I mainly use the remote climate control after work before I get to the car, or sometimes on the weekend at random times when it's plugged in with the charge timer blocking charging.
If they start to ask for a payment to use it, I won't be subscribing.
I seem to be subscribed to free until 2028 - I have no plans to keep the car that long so I'm set at least...

I guess the point of my comments is that if I was to only listen to all the nay sayers I'd believe that the app and remote features never work and are a complete waste of time even setting up, yet once I got the car activated on the account (which was admitedly a faff) it has given very little trouble and I'm glad I have it, especially the remote climate control. So it's not nearly as bad as many people make out. If it occasionally doesn't work, so be it.

Keep in mind the TCU in these cars only uses 2G (GPRS) which is extremely slow data, in some areas the 2G data channels of whatever mobile network it uses (does anyone know which one is used ?) may be congested enough that it becomes unreliable just because the car can't get data through back to the server. In that regard perhaps I'm lucky that it seems to get good 2G coverage where I live and travel. I've yet to find a location where the onboard data services don't work.

I wonder how much more reliable it would be if the TCU used a 3G/4G connection.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After some of the comments I logged in to find that I could extend my YOU+ for free until 2028, so I did. Although it has regularly not worked over the last couple of years, I have found it working well for the last couple of months. I now have something to compare it to as I have the Renault app on my phone for my wife new Zoe. Parts of that don't work, so I'm wondering if they share a software team ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with the comments about winter mornings. I charge at work so I’m not usually plugged in in the morning, which stops me using the built in timer and the reliability of the app is about 50% when I need it most.

I got my first Leaf in 2013 and forgave them because connected cars were pretty new then but the performance of the app is unforgivable now. I’m not a fan of clouded services, I’d rather be able to join the car to my WiFi and have the app discover it on my network and communicate with it directly.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I’d rather be able to join the car to my WiFi and have the app discover it on my network and communicate with it directly
Yes, me too. I'm sure that a lot of drivers who want to preheat the car are either at home or are within a short distance from the car.

I would much rather have a button on the remote key fob to start the HVAC, like the ENV-200 has.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The initial free 3 year subscription could just be a get out for Nissan in case the technology becomes redundant or they can't support it anymore.

I bought my 2014 Leaf in 2016, have always had the connected services, and it works pretty consistently for me.

Remote heating is one of the things (along with the heated steering wheel) which makes me reluctant to change the car! It's a godsend in winter!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
After some of the comments I logged in to find that I could extend my YOU+ for free until 2028, so I did. Although it has regularly not worked over the last couple of years, I have found it working well for the last couple of months. I now have something to compare it to as I have the Renault app on my phone for my wife new Zoe. Parts of that don't work, so I'm wondering if they share a software team ?
So the extension to 2028 is something new ? I've only had my Leaf 30 for just on two months and the offer to extend for free to 2028 was there as soon as I added it to the account, so of course I did it.

Also I've found the app pretty reliable. It does occasionally drop back to the login screen however I've found if I just force quit the app then relaunch it it goes straight back in, logged in and working without have to retype the password.

Interesting that you say it has worked more reliably the last couple of months than it has in the past - that lines up with about when I started using it. Maybe they have finally done something to improve the reliability ?

I also notice that the UI in the current version of the app is significantly different to what I've seen online in articles about it, so maybe the app has had a bit of a revamp.

I also bought the "My Leaf" app as an alternative way to control it if the Nissan app was flakey but to be honest apart from the occasional need to force quit it if it logged itself out, it actually seems to work better than "My Leaf", so apart from verifying it works I haven't really used My Leaf.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Another feature of the Nissan Connect EV app I like which also seems to work reliabily so far is the push notifications.

I use the charge timer and I get sent a push notification when charging ends, which is quite handy as I can work out when charging ended. Likewise if I was using a public charging station and wasn't at the car I would get a notification if the charge ended due to a failure or just ended normally.

I also have the "charge reminder" notification configured on the centre console with my home location added. This means if I drive home and turn the car off within about a 50 metre radius of home and don't plug the car in within 15 minutes (the delay is configurable) I get a push notification on my phone to remind me that I haven't plugged the car in yet. Brilliant.

I normally plug the car in as soon as we get home at night, with the charge timer defering charging until the early hours, so a reminder if I've forgotten to plug it in is nice. If I've deliberately left it unplugged I can of course ignore the reminder.

Climate control on/off and remote charge start all send back notifications when actioned by the car as well. And while I have very occasionally seen a request to do something not go through, the notifications seem 100% reliable, in the sense that if you get the push notification back that remote climate has started you can be confident that it has in fact started as it takes an entire round trip to the car and back to receive this notification. I've not yet seen a case where a notification reported success but the thing you were asking to do didn't happen.

So yeah, could be better but it works quite well and is still nice to have as a free feature.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would much rather have a button on the remote key fob to start the HVAC, like the ENV-200 has.
I’d not heard of that - that sounds much better. I’m never a fan of having to use a server miles away or even in another country to connect two devices in my own house.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have any subscription costs for this service, looks like I'll be needing to consider it in 2 years.
Whilst the App was dire some 3-6 months back, recent updates it has certainly improved function and reliability, but by no means perfect, but when it logs in it does function. :)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Log into You+Nissan via the website, go into Nissan connect services and you'll probably see an option to subscribe for free for 8 years - everyone else here including me has found they are able to do this. If you can then unless you're planning to keep the car for more than 8 years who cares what the price would have been ? :)

If you find yourself dropped back to the login page when you return to the app try just force killing the app on you phone then launch it again. For me that completely skips having to retype a password and is fast as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Log into You+Nissan via the website, go into Nissan connect services and you'll probably see an option to subscribe for free for 8 years - everyone else here including me has found they are able to do this. If you can then unless you're planning to keep the car for more than 8 years who cares what the price would have been ? :)

If you find yourself dropped back to the login page when you return to the app try just force killing the app on you phone then launch it again. For me that completely skips having to retype a password and is fast as well.
Hi. many thanks, After some searching it appears there are 3 versions covering the Nissan EV ranges, and the 2019 models on line do not appear to have the options described here. I fully anticipate keeping the car for more than 8 years.
Anyhow, good news from my enquiry to Nissan:

Dear Mr. Barber,
Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services.
Currently, when it comes to subscriptions for NissanConnect app services and features such as those you mentioned (Climate, Flashing Lights, Sounding Horn, Charging, etc.), there are no charges or costs for subscriptions to use them.

In the past, Nissan has never charged customers for subscriptions for connected services
  • When subscription expired, complementary or free extensions have been given
As of now, there is no official announcement from Nissan about any changes to app related charges in the near future
  • If changes to this were to happen, Nissan will inform their customers about it
I hope this information helps. If you have any other comments or questions, please feel free to let us know.
Sincerely,
logo
Reshmi
Customer Services
Nissan Motor (GB) Limited
Opening Hours Mon-Fri: 08:00 to 20:00, Sat: 08:00 to 14:00
Telephone: 0330 123 1231​

1 - 20 of 23 Posts