Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took possession of a Nissan Tekna about a month ago, lovely car this is my second leaf. Cannot get the app to connect to the car. I follow instructions and get as far as "Activate" get a message unable to connect. Been talking to Nissan from the start, as much use as a chocolate kettle, any ideas would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
With my E+, I thought I had to use wifi to set it up, so I set my phone to provide a mobile wifi hotspot over 4g (being out of range of my BT Hub). I had no trouble getting the app working and thereafter, I never had to use a wifi connection. The car's univeral sim and reasonable 4g signal works fine. It's great being able to turn on the heating remotely, as well as check charging progress etc.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Having the same problems ... managed to suss out how to register the car, more by accident than skill, but when I try to Activate the app just says “something went wrong. Try later”. Helpful.

Currently waiting on Nissan customer services calling me back ...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
Which app are you using - there are two:
You need Nissan Connect, which is version 2.1.2. The icon name says Nissan Connect - no wording on the icon itself and is shown in play store as Nissanconnect Services.
Not Nissan Connect EV v3.5.1 - the icon name says Nissan EV and Zero emissions on the icon.
As I recall, the Nissan Connect app asks you to enter the vin and your details and then confirm your registration.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
I eventually got that far (after trying the EV app which isn’t for my car), it’s the next bit (activation) that fails. It was suggested that the VIN might be registered to the previous owner, I would have hoped the dealer would have taken care of that, but maybe I’m expecting too much (if that is the case)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
I eventually got that far (after trying the EV app which isn’t for my car), it’s the next bit (activation) that fails. It was suggested that the VIN might be registered to the previous owner, I would have hoped the dealer would have taken care of that, but maybe I’m expecting too much (if that is the case)
I'm not sure what happens if a previous owner has registered the vin.
If possible contact the previous owner or ask the dealer to, and get them to remove the Leaf from the app - the option is on the profile page. Otherwise the server likely will not allow another activation with the same vin.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
The other thing you might try is, on the vehicle display, go to Settings, then find Nissan Connect Services, then there is a sub menu with the option to 'reset to factory defaults'.
Have you paired your phone with the vehicle?

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Yes, all paired easily. The car was still showing the previous owners phone in the devices list so I’ve reset everything.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
I think you are probably right, the issue is because the previous owner still has the vehicle on his phone's app i.e still registered to himself.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,582 Posts
Useful Youtube video on how to connect to NISSAN services - its for a Juke but equally applies to the LEAF.

What it doesn't tell you is that you need to register your vehicle on the "You+NISSAN" site first and use the same login details when setting up your smart phone - hope this is helpful.

NissanConnect Services - How to Connect

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
I didn't have to go online. I did it all from the app. Are you sure this isn't for the other app which does ask for and id and doesn't have a register option from the app? It has, country, User ID, Password and two option switches so I assume this is the one where you need to register online. Just checked and this is not the app I use. The other is also by Nissan and not a third party app.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Update ... I phoned Nissan again, and they seemed surprised that I had expected a call back the same day, apparently they don’t do that! However, the activation has gone through and some of the functions are working, others take up to four hours to activate. Honestly, the car is 21st century but the other stuff - apps, charging etc - feels more like mid 20th century! Still, looks like I’m getting there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It’s a poor excuse for a tool.

My present car took seven months for Nissan to get it to work.

Latest fault is last year was 2020 and this year on the app is also 2020. Got two years with same name it’s pathetic.

Not worth loading as it often needs relighting into or it

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,582 Posts
I didn't have to go online. I did it all from the app. Are you sure this isn't for the other app which does ask for and id and doesn't have a register option from the app? It has, country, User ID, Password and two option switches so I assume this is the one where you need to register online. Just checked and this is not the app I use. The other is also by Nissan and not a third party app.
I firstly went on to you+Nissan web site, set up a logon password, once this gave me access to the site, I registered my VIN number in my account which brought up my vehicle. This gives access to services such as vehicle recalls and booking a service.

I then downloaded the connect app via my smart phone and registered it using the same you+Nissan log on and set it up, pairing it with the vehicle using the procedure out lined in the video. It took several hours to activate, all the services.

At the same time I paired the vehicle with my WI-FI home hub, which will enable future down loads such as a satnav update. When I have the vehicle powered up outside my house, it always comes up with a message “WI-FI connected” so it is ready for when the something in the future necessitates it’s use.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
The other app doesn't need wifi, so you can use it anywhere to check battery status at a charge point etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts