Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I promised an update, so here it is...

After raising the complaint with Nissan GB on April 14th, I've had a couple of emails from different people in Nissan GB along the lines of "we're still investigating". Rubbish. Waste of time and space.

As for the dealership, communication from Lookers has been truly awful, various low level managers and even the general manager promising to call me back and not doing so multiple times over the last few weeks. This has honestly been the worst part, it really winds me up when people can't keep their word.

Anyway, at one point the dealership stance (low level manager) was that I hadn't actually specified Nissan parking sensors, or communicated the requirement for the sensors to work as per the official Nissan parts. They then asked whether I was willing to pay towards them replacing the parts. That didn't wash with me so the complaint was escalated to the general manager.

Had to wait two weeks to hear from the general manager, I'm on first name terms with the reception staff now, and eventually spoke to him yesterday.

The upshot is that they are resisting replacing the parts with genuine Nissan due to the cost (having to replace bumpers and dash panels etc). Also, from my own point of view, I am now over two months into ownership and have learned to live without the front sensors and ignore the rear sensors.

So they have offered to refund - "as a gesture of goodwill" - the cost of the front sensors (as at least the rears do work as expected) along with a little extra for the inconvenience.

Now, I know I can stand my ground and demand proper parts be fitted. But it comes down to is it truly worth the fight and getting solicitors involved?

At this point I believe it isn't worth the cost or hassle, however good my chances are at a successful outcome. I have no intention of keeping the car after two years, and I have written assurance from the general manager that the non-standard parts will not affect the return of the cars to RCI.

If I end up replacing the cars with the new Nissan LEAF in a couple of years, I think it is fair to say that the only way I'd buy again from Lookers is by having the cars and every extra listed in detail down to the individual part & serial numbers on the invoice. I don't think I'd buy from them anyway, but never say never.

The tl;dr bit and a warning to others thinking about buying any Nissan car...

When buying from a Lookers dealership, don't trust that the thing you order is the thing you will actually get. You need to ensure that dealer fit options are actually genuine and fitted by the dealer.

And in the event of a problem, don't think that Nissan GB will be of any assistance in a reasonable time. Despite what is stated in their complaints procedure that is published on their website.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Only you can decide if fighting is worth it... and so if the settlement is ok to forget about it, go with it.

I do think though that what the dealer did is outrageous, and without any info to the contrary would hope Nissan would share your view. I cannot believe the garage has a leg to stand on ... of course they couldn't be forced into fitting sensors, the ultimate response would I guess be a full refund. Personally I would get professional legal advice before deciding whether to persue or not (you may have some consultation from works benefits programs, insurance policies, or local solicitors that offer a free 30 mins or similar)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,120 Posts
It's a difficult experience to learn any lessons from. Just as you figure you've got a grip on all the possible manipulations and permutations you can get on a contract, someone comes up with a new way to deceive you into buying something you did not ask for.

I wasn't born yesterday, yet seemingly every time I do business on a large capital item, I never quite get what I felt I was contracted to get. I'm still having a wrangle with the vendor over the Ampera.

In this case, if they are basically refunding you for the front sensors you didn't get, and the functionality of the rears are as you would get anyway, I think I would rest easy with taking the cash. There is a point where the matter has to be settled. Courts can go either way - all they do is give a settlement to the dispute, they do not necessarily give the correct settlement to the dispute.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Will all the after market sensors last for the 2 years of ownership? The likelihood is no. Will they be compensating you for your time when they go wrong?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Will all the after market sensors last for the 2 years of ownership? The likelihood is no. Will they be compensating you for your time when they go wrong?
I'd like to think if they failed it would be a warranty job, and in all fairness, for a typical part swap under warranty from any dealer does anyone ever get compensated for their time?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'll keep that site in mind for the future, never heard of it before!

In this case, if they are basically refunding you for the front sensors you didn't get, and the functionality of the rears are as you would get anyway, I think I would rest easy with taking the cash. There is a point where the matter has to be settled.
That's what I've ended up thinking, don't get me wrong, at first I was angry, but let's face it life is too short and the cars are still great!

I do think though that what the dealer did is outrageous, and without any info to the contrary would hope Nissan would share your view.
I had hoped for more of a response from Nissan, but they do like to drag out their "investigations".

·
33,120 Posts
That's what I've ended up thinking, don't get me wrong, at first I was angry, but let's face it life is too short and the cars are still great!
I didn't mention trying to get an apology too, because in this day and age no-one ever seems to want to apologise for anything. Maybe it is seen as an admission that could be used in court, though it never ceases to amaze me how people involved in retail underestimate the benefits of making a sincere (emphasis; 'sincere') apology.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think it's part of the customer service training. I remember being told that you should never say "sorry" but instead turn it around to "I'm sorry you feel that way"

Nasty, psychological games.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I may be shot down here, but we’re you TOLD they were “Nissan” parking sensors? Does the order form have them in the “dealer fit” section or the “factory fitted options” section?

I ask, because whilst these do sound poor quality, in principle, if you ask a dealer to “fit parking sensors on the front” that’s what they have done. If you asked the dealer to “fit parking sensors that are fully integrated with the cars own systems” or “are they original Nissan parts” that different.

We fit parking sensors, and they are not the oem ones - but to be fair, they work very well. However they don’t come up on the dash like the rear ones do - but we tell customers this!

·
33,120 Posts
I may be shot down here, but we’re you TOLD they were “Nissan” parking sensors? Does the order form have them in the “dealer fit” section or the “factory fitted options” section?

I ask, because whilst these do sound poor quality, in principle, if you ask a dealer to “fit parking sensors on the front” that’s what they have done. If you asked the dealer to “fit parking sensors that are fully integrated with the cars own systems” or “are they original Nissan parts” that different.

We fit parking sensors, and they are not the oem ones - but to be fair, they work very well. However they don’t come up on the dash like the rear ones do - but we tell customers this!
You'll only be shot down for the interval of time between your post and the last one! ;)

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
To be fair, this forum software is a complete PITA in this regard, as it very often puts up really old posts right under the "reply" box in other threads. It nearly caught me out the other day, and I got part way through typing a reply before I spotted the damned software had promoted a really old thread. No idea why it does this, but it clearly catches others out, as it's something that happens a fair bit (there were loads of replies to threads that were a year or two old yesterday, for example).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts