Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Nissan dealership and Leafspy...

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Kingpleb1 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking at 2 similar cars in Glasgow, 30kw similar milage. I'm in Manchester so not round the corner, I asked about getting full Leafspy reports and they say they wouldn't let that be performed in their cars, they are only willing to give me the official Nissan report.
Anyone any experience of this and any suggestions?
Thanks

#4 ·
It's a bit catch 22. You would love to see the report, but they won't play ball. But you also want to buy off a main dealer (presumably) with a full history and therefore a full 8 year warranty.

In my very limited newbie opinion, the 8 year warranty would supersede an iffy leafspy report (which can vary in day to day readings)

The piece of mind you lose from not seeing the leaf spy report is trumped by the piece of mind in an 8 year warranty in my view.

Having both would be better of course!

#11 ·
Hi,
Thanks everyone!

with a full history and therefore a full 8 year warranty.
I'm sure the warranty stays with the car whether it's private sale or not.

Only 1 Nissan dealer didn't allow me to check the Leafspy app saying that only the technicians are allowed to do it
They are saying that their technicians don't even know what it is, never mind that they'd be willing to do it. It's not Bristol Street, it's Macklin Motors.

You would generally get better service by going in person, speaking to the right people
I'm going to leave it a couple of days, let them think I'm loosing interest, I'm sure they'll be back in touch.

why would they spend money on a dongle that's only usable for the leaf with the app?
Personally even private buys haven't put me off without it as I have the warranty and to be honest most are about the same SoH anyway.
They were also refusing to let me plug my dongle in.

As both cars are almost identical, it makes sense to me to take the one with the best SOH.

#5 ·
Can you accept a car at 8 years old or with 100k miles that has 71% capacity? (21.3kwh)
If yes, don't worry, you are guaranteed this as a minimum.
If no, don't buy a Leaf, as that's exactly what you'll have after 8 years!!

#6 ·
@Evnovice Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm based in the West Midlands and there were a few Leaf's, which were a bit out of range for me. Only 1 out of the 4 Nissan dealers were able to provide me the Leafspy report,which was around 92 SoH in Burnley. Only 1 Nissan dealer didn't allow me to check the Leafspy app saying that only the technicians are allowed to do it and they are not around as it was a Sunday. A lot of them are aware of the Leafspy app though.
Were you referring to Bristol street motors in Glasgow by any chance? it probably depends on who you speak to I guess. I've spoken to different branches in the last few weeks and where they were not able to do it themselves they did say you can pop down and we are happy to do it
I'm not in a major rush so will keep an eye out locally

#7 ·
Call them up and speak to somebody different. As above, the general salespeople either won't know much about leafspy, or won't be allowed to connect OBD devices to their cars. You would generally get better service by going in person, speaking to the right people and getting their blessing to check it yourself but obviously its understandable why you may not want to drive all the way to Glasgow just for that.

If you keep getting told no, its a no. If you really want a report, you would be better off walking away and looking elsewhere. But even if they do say no, don't give up hope since most other dealers should be open to allowing this.

#9 ·
To be fair to the dealers they have their own diagnostics, why would they spend money on a dongle that's only usable for the leaf with the app?
Personally even private buys haven't put me off without it as I have the warranty and to be honest most are about the same SoH anyway.

#13 ·
To be fair to the dealers they have their own diagnostics, why would they spend money on a dongle that's only usable for the leaf with the app?
As the data is obviously available at the ODB port, why do Nissan through their dealers not make it available to users and potential customers. The 'battery condition' printout that I get with each service does not tell me anything I do not already know from looking at the dashboard.

#10 ·
Wait until the end of the month when their sales figures are due-amazing how that focusses their minds-I'll bet they will let you do it then.

#25 ·
So I'm now the proud owner of a 66 plate Leaf with 97.2%SOH!

I got the train up to Glasgow yesterday afternoon, snook in the Leafspy while I "facetime my family". Everything checked out so I was then happy to buy the car.
I'm really glad I did, I saw a car much closer to me in Macclesfield with a few more miles with a SOH of 89%.

The 238 miles journey home was interesting! I just about crawled to Gretna before my first charge, I think it must have been touch and go, 2nd charge at Lancaster and made it home by 2.15am.

Looking forward to doing a few more Leaf friendly journeys over the next few days.

#27 ·
So I'm now the proud owner of a 66 plate Leaf with 97.2%SOH!

I got the train up to Glasgow yesterday afternoon, snook in the Leafspy while I "facetime my family". Everything checked out so I was then happy to buy the car.
I'm really glad I did, I saw a car much closer to me in Macclesfield with a few more miles with a SOH of 89%.

The 238 miles journey home was interesting! I just about crawled to Gretna before my first charge, I think it must have been touch and go, 2nd charge at Lancaster and made it home by 2.15am.

Looking forward to doing a few more Leaf friendly journeys over the next few days.
Nice catch getting that!

Well worth the train journey.

#26 ·
Congratulations on getting such a good example and for an epic first journey. Let's hope that you continue to enjoy the car having proven what it's capable of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.