Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped into Nissan Dorchester on my way home to ask about using their charging stations in the future when out for a walk or coffee.
The girl there said fine but limited to an hour and also said they are fast chargers but not rapid, but didn't know much else.
What sort of charge would you get on these over an hour?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
Popped into Nissan Dorchester on my way home to ask about using their charging stations in the future when out for a walk or coffee.
The girl there said fine but limited to an hour and also said they are fast chargers but not rapid, but didn't know much else.
7kwh so barely worth the trouble. Any Nissan dealer should know that the Leaf cannot get a decent charge in 1 hour on an AC charger.
My local dealer also has a 7kw charger but probably for topping thei demonstrators.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
Destination chargers are not worth the hassle unless you are there for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Most of the dealers I have been to have Chademo chargers . It's easy to check just have a look on ZapMap at your charger place of choice. Hendy Nissan Bournemouth, Wessex Nissan at Gloucester, Holdvroft Nissan Stoke-on-Trent, Brindley Nissan at Cannock and Fish Bros at Swindon all have Chademo chargers. If your Leaf doesn't have the 7kw onboard charger then I can see the Tesco and Aldi podpoints are a bit pointless for you (groan - very poor pun).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Most of the Nissan dealerships have both rapid chargers and AC posts. It's rare that they only have one or the other, unless they are struggling with the power requirements.

The problem is most of the ones who do have rapid chargers will either say you aren't welcome to use them (despite it still being published as a benefit of buying a LEAF) or they are simply broken and they are making no effort to get it repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
BMW i3
455 Posts
Depends on the setup but I think you’d find charging at a dealer regularly more hassle than it’s worth.

i.e. charger likely to be in use, blocked or you’ll get blocked in, they don’t normally have a lot of spare spaces in my experience.

Edit: It doesn’t seem to be listed on Zap-Map, if it wasn’t a rapid I certainly wouldn’t bother.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Do they have petrol pumps and give dinojuice to passing Nissan ICE owners? :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do they actually monitor how long you've been there? I doubt that they do.

Try it, see how much charge you get and see if there's any issue with staying for more than an hour.

Often, charging away from home is more hassle than it's worth, unless you're on a roadtrip of course and you have no choice.
A big part of having an EV is the convenience of being able to refuel while you're at home doing something else.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's all in the planning. When I did my Bournemouth/Blackpool trip I rang each and every possible Nissan dealer en route both ways. I made sure I got the name of the person to whom I spoke and rang back the day before my trip, and told whoever was on the 'phone the name of the first person who had arranged for me to charge at their point.
It was a breeze, every dealership went out of their way to make our stop enjoyable with the least hassle. They had moved any cars out of the way for us and I just slipped in and charged. They plied us with tea and coffee; some were quite curious about our trip and we had a great time at all the dealers. It made what could have been a nightmare into a great experience.
I point out this was not for a regular trip, it was a one off trip. I think they'd soon get ticked off if they had a flood of commuter types in......

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Of course they all have chargers. Where else are they going to park the Qashqais?

• Haha
Reactions: Barfly and 80698

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABetterRoutePlanner, ChargeMap, etc. list Nissan dealership chargers. Do any of them allow non-Nissan car charging?
In some places in the US that is the only place around that has EV stations.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
ABetterRoutePlanner, ChargeMap, etc. list Nissan dealership chargers. Do any of them allow non-Nissan car charging?
In some places in the US that is the only place around that has EV stations.
In a real emergency you may get away with it, but I wouldn't count on it.
It's also worth noting that the Nissan chargers are generally only equipped with the CHAdeMO Connector. In 2021 you'll struggle to find many other cars out there that use this rather than CCS which is now considered to be the standard, especially within Europe where even Tesla now use this.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,764 Posts
In a real emergency you may get away with it, but I wouldn't count on it.
It's also worth noting that the Nissan chargers are generally only equipped with the CHAdeMO Connector. In 2021 you'll struggle to find many other cars out there that use this rather than CCS which is now considered to be the standard, especially within Europe where even Tesla now use this.
Hopefully, Nissan will soon begin adding CCS plugs to support their new car, the Ariya.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hopefully, Nissan will soon begin adding CCS plugs to support their new car, the Ariya.
Don't say that. You're giving me traumatic flashbacks to Ecotricity!
Nissan dealers use ancient DBT Chargers. We already know too well that bodging CCS Onto these units doesn't work.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,764 Posts
Don't say that. You're giving me traumatic flashbacks to Ecotricity!
Nissan dealers use ancient DBT Chargers. We already know too well that bodging CCS Onto these units doesn't work.
My Renault dealer (Lookers Chester) also covers Vauxhall, Nissan, Kia & Dacia. But their onsite chargers are only 7kW anyway.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Remember a few years ago when you would relly on a Nissan dealership CHAdeMO to get you across certain parts of the country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts