Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been a forum "lurker" but now feel the need to register and post this information as it came as a bit of a surprise and may save someone from the same fate!

So I feel the need to get the message out that NISSAN have changed their policy of allowing you to charge at the dealerships.

How do I know ?

Well I turned up at MOTORLINE in my Leaf as I was looking at a 2nd hand Juke car for my wife. Bit low on range on the leaf I plugged into the Chademo fast charger.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was for THEIR customers only and they would not allow me to charge. I questioned the "Sales director"! -who said they had received a memo addressed to all dealerships from NISSAN that it was at the dealers discretion on who to allow to charge - and was for people who bought their cars from them.

I explained that anyone buying a car from them probably lived in Medway and would charge at home, and the point of having the opportunity to fast charge at a dealership was for when you are away from home after a long journey. This appeared to be completely lost on this employee and he stuck to his guns and said customers only.

I even pointed him at the sales blurb that says "nationwide fast chargers available at dealers", but he repeated the mantra, because they were paying for the electricity. I said it costs about a pound for a charge and asked if I could pay - still said no.

Moral of the story - BUY A TESLA !!!

Sorry if you know this already, but I dont often need a "get me home charge" in an unknown town and it caught me out.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Tweet at them that they almost left you stranded. Will be seen. Things will happen.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
A sign of things to come but one more reason to avoid Motorline as I bet they would play that blurb big time when flogging a car and not mention anything about conditions or discretion of other dealers.

Maybe they would be better not letting their staff charge up all their demo care day and night as well that they use ??‍♂

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,537 Posts
Has that happened to anyone else with any other dealer group?

The holdcroft Stoke one is outside their gates so anyone with any chademo car can use it 24/7. That's the right attitude to have.

I would be straight onto Nissan to complain about that dealer. Bad attitude especially if you were looking to buy from them. I certainly wouldn't buy anything from them after that. Lousy attitude.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,452 Posts
I was told in no uncertain terms that this was for THEIR customers only and they would not allow me to charge.
Just curious ... what did they do to stop you?

I'd have just said 'yeah, sure, I am just looking at these cars ... '. There wouldn't have been any more discussion.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Has that happened to anyone else with any other dealer group?
Evans Halshaw Nissan keep their charging bays around me blocked with traffic cones or their own cars at all times now.

Lookers Nissan have decided that their charger is 'broken' after the taxi drivers discovered them. Until they need to charge their demo car up. Then it miraculously repairs itself but only for one use. Then its powered off to a blank screen and/or the chademo connector padlocked into its holder.

Apart from one dealer around the Edinburgh area at the back end of last year, I haven't known any Nissan dealership knowingly allow people to just plug in and charge anymore these days.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,452 Posts
If you can evidence that Nissan made it a contract term and offering at time of sale then they are obliged to let you use it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I bet lookers are doing that as taxis were taking the pee again.
We all know it's 3 charges a week limit but trying to administer that as a dealer would be a nightmare

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,537 Posts
Holdcroft one seems to be broken. Been faulty for about 2 weeks. I wonder if Nissan will decide to do another dealer roll out with more up to date but paid for chargers to stop the spongers from clogging them up?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I've just looked at ZapMap comments for a few Nissan Dealers' sites that I've used in past. Afraid none of them seem to have been updated recently but at least none I checked were reporting refusals.

I haven't used any recently - nor likely to for next couple of months - but will try & post comments on future visits.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
183 Posts
Just curious ... what did they do to stop you?

I'd have just said 'yeah, sure, I am just looking at these cars ... '. There wouldn't have been any more discussion.
If it's the dealer on Gillingham business park it also used to require a pin to start.
Annoyingly it also required the pin to stop the charge!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Charged my car at Glynn Hopkins Cambridge in December without issue, not visited any dealers since.
Nissans appalling response (or lack of) to issues with the connected services have prevented me from wanting to further consider a new Leaf. Shame as the prices are now somewhat tempting but lower prices don’t make up for appalling service in my book.

There’s a quote somewhere about the pain of poor service being remembered long after the sweetness of low price is long forgotten.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Charged my car at Glynn Hopkins Cambridge in December without issue, not visited any dealers since.
Nissans appalling response (or lack of) to issues with the connected services have prevented me from wanting to further consider a new Leaf. Shame as the prices are now somewhat tempting but lower prices don’t make up for appalling service in my book.

There’s a quote somewhere about the pain of poor service being remembered long after the sweetness of low price is long forgotten.
I visited several GH branches last summer - treated very well at all of them.

'Connected Services' ere a very small part of the Leaf experience and to be frank I'm not that bothered whether they work or not. I really can't see that most of them add anything to the use of the car.

Perhaps one exception might be 'Find My Car' : quite useful if I want to check whether OH has finished her meeting/shopping trip/w.h.y and it was really useful on my previous car when I could tell whether the dealer had bothered to move my car from where it had been left into the workshop. Possibly the stick they got when I was able to show that they hadn't was a contributory factor in Nissan stealing that facility ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts