Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so we all know that confidence in Nissan's coding is at a bit of a low at the moment...

So, the NissanEV app is OK, but not brilliant as we know.

Just now, I get a notification that the NissanEV app would like to access my location all of the time to identify nearby attractions. Strange, but I'm not having that battery drain. Anywho, lets see why...

So I go and look at Privacy, Location Services, Nissan EV.

And then I see it - right there at the bottom of the text, under the options for Never, While Using the App & Always. If you tick "While Using the App" you will see the following.

'App Explanation: "The sprit of stack overflow is coders helping coders"'

'sprit' is not a typo on my part, I might add...

This to me says that they are cutting and pasting from Stack Overflow to get their coding done on time, right down to the help text.

Not brimming with confidence right now!!!

Anyone else see this text?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not listed in my location services?
Ooooh...

I am on the latest version - I assume you are?

I do have the 30kW for which the bottom right icon leads you to a map to find your car. Maybe that is the difference.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How do these people get jobs?!
How do the people who employ them get jobs. Bad software engineering to the core. There is no need for bad bugy software. In fact it costs more than well engineered software.

Richard

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If it wasn't for Stack Overflow the whole of the software industry would grind to a halt. However; what @Tony Hoyle said.
It's not a problem to get advice or re use software. It is a problem when the whole software engineering process is short circuited and proper testing is shoddy or not done at all.

Richard

Reactions: Roger Bamforth

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a problem to get advice or re use software. It is a problem when the whole software engineering process is short circuited and proper testing is shoddy or not done at all.

Richard
Indeed - stackoverflow is a great way to copy and paste bugs and or security holes if you skip testing...!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blimey....thought I'd mistakenly visited a software dev forum o_O
Relatively high correlation between people who work in the technology industries and EV ownership... !

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
The difference between engineer, developer and practitioner can be roughly worked out by how often you use Language Spec/API Doc, Google, Stack overflow.

It is often said that the difference between a good and great Software Engineer is how quickly they can get to Google, but that doesn't necessitate the copy and paste behaviour.

·
Registered
588 Posts
OK, so we all know that confidence in Nissan's coding is at a bit of a low at the moment...

So, the NissanEV app is OK, but not brilliant as we know.

Just now, I get a notification that the NissanEV app would like to access my location all of the time to identify nearby attractions. Strange, but I'm not having that battery drain. Anywho, lets see why...

So I go and look at Privacy, Location Services, Nissan EV.

And then I see it - right there at the bottom of the text, under the options for Never, While Using the App & Always. If you tick "While Using the App" you will see the following.

'App Explanation: "The sprit of stack overflow is coders helping coders"'

'sprit' is not a typo on my part, I might add...

This to me says that they are cutting and pasting from Stack Overflow to get their coding done on time, right down to the help text.

Not brimming with confidence right now!!!

Anyone else see this text?
Can you get me a screenshot of this?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

I just want to know how you can find the car's location from the app geeky boys! ;)
Only a feature available to 30kWh models apparently...

I have an icon bottom right which takes me to a location map:

Reactions: Brooktop
1 - 20 of 44 Posts