Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just seen a very good article on BBC iplayer (article is in the news channel under the Click section) regarding EV's. Part of the article was with regards to an aspect of EV where customers can 'sell' remaining power from their vehicles back to the grid when they plug the vehicle in at home. The beauty of this that you can sell your power back to the grid at peak hours and then recharge your car during off-peak. The chargers do cost anything from £4000 to £5500, however there are a number of companies out there that are looking for customers to trial the idea, where if selected, they will install and provide the charger free of charge (no pun intended. lol) and upon completion of the trial you can keep the charger. I was interested myself, however I will have a Peugeot EV and this trial is only open to Nissan EV drivers. For further details please refer to link below;
Kind regards

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The problem seems to be that the V2G trials use Chademo (which is on the Leaf) but the European standard is the CCS connector and that doesn't do V2G ... yet. It is likely that even Nissan will use the CCS in the UK for new cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have just seen a very good article on BBC iplayer (article is in the news channel under the Click section) regarding EV's. Part of the article was with regards to an aspect of EV where customers can 'sell' remaining power from their vehicles back to the grid when they plug the vehicle in at home. The beauty of this that you can sell your power back to the grid at peak hours and then recharge your car during off-peak. The chargers do cost anything from £4000 to £5500, however there are a number of companies out there that are looking for customers to trial the idea, where if selected, they will install and provide the charger free of charge (no pun intended. lol) and upon completion of the trial you can keep the charger. I was interested myself, however I will have a Peugeot EV and this trial is only open to Nissan EV drivers. For further details please refer to link below;
Kind regards
It was a very interesting episode indeed. The trial involves Ovo energy. The potential for Cornwall to become Europe's biggest Lithium supplier was fascinating too. The Czech Republic is the only other place on the continent with natural supplies.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
‘Fraid this is old news :). The current generation LEAF (MY2018 onwards) was designed to have bi-directional charging to enable this specific functionality. OVO Energy have been running this as a trial for the past 2 years (@Mike Schooling has been heavily involved in this project). So far the trial appears to be quite successful (>400 installations and counting). A couple of other suppliers are now getting onto this as well (Octopus and Electric Nation as you pointed out above).

It is figured that as EVs are typically parked up for a lot of the day, V2G will help provide additional resources to the National Grid. V2G would certainly be beneficial for use at work where our Pool Nissan LEAF is parked up).

Unfortunately, as was mentioned, it is only currently open up to Nissan LEAF (who are think are part of the research) and enabled for Chadamo connections only.

There are quite a lot of discussions on this in this forum and also on the OVO Energy web page and also through Mike’s website.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
‘Fraid this is old news :). The current generation LEAF (MY2018 onwards) was designed to have bi-directional charging to enable this specific functionality. OVO Energy have been running this as a trial for the past 2 years (@Mike Schooling has been heavily involved in this project). So far the trial appears to be quite successful (>400 installations and counting). A couple of other suppliers are now getting onto this as well (Octopus and Electric Nation as you pointed out above).

It is figured that as EVs are typically parked up for a lot of the day, V2G will help provide additional resources to the National Grid. V2G would certainly be beneficial for use at work where our Pool Nissan LEAF is parked up).

Unfortunately, as was mentioned, it is only currently open up to Nissan LEAF (who are think are part of the research) and enabled for Chadamo connections only.

There are quite a lot of discussions on this in this forum and also on the OVO Energy web page and also through Mike’s website.
Great post.

Just to clarify, its the gen2 leaf onwards that is compatible, so the UK built 24kWh car from 2013. The original japanese built cars (2011-12) are not compatible.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
24 Posts
Great post.

Just to clarify, its the gen2 leaf onwards that is compatible, so the UK built 24kWh car from 2013. The original japanese built cars (2011-12) are not compatible.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
How is the V2G product launch to retail for the UK going? I had an email in September saying coming soon and still waiting :) Seeing the news about your launch in Australia though i was wondering if that's delayed the UK launch?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,671 Posts
‘How my electric car is helping to power my home’

A pilot scheme run by energy company OVO is allowing some electric car owners to use their vehicle to power their homes.

Owners can buy electricity from the grid at off-peak rates to charge their vehicle and whatever is leftover in the car’s battery can be used to power their homes or sell it back to the grid at peak times when prices are higher.

BBC Click's Lara Lewington finds out more.

See more at Click's website and @BBCClick

‘How my electric car is helping to power my home’ - BBC News

BBC World News - Click, The Electric Vehicle Revolution, ‘How my electric car is helping to power my home’

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not sure if I’ve seen the Octopus Powerloop on the forum yet, but anyway here it is for completeness:

in the South east and East Anglia, rather than west and midlands as OVO is, and crucially includes the car lease (Leaf again) so that any risk on battery degradation falls on them as lessor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts