Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is preparing to cut battery manufacturing, people familiar with the matter said, in a new reversal on electric cars that has reopened deep divisions with alliance partner Renault .

The plan, which faces stiff resistance within the Japanese carmaker, would see U.S. and British production phased out and a reduced output of next-generation batteries concentrated at its domestic plant, two alliance sources told Reuters.

Via Yahoo News: http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-nissan-faces-battery-plant-cuts-electric-car-060958938--finance.html

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm not sure where the part of the headling "Electric car hopes fade" comes from - the article says "Renault-Nissan "remains 100-percent committed to its industry-leading electric vehicle program" "

This is all about where they get the batteries.

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
That's exactly what I thought @flipper . It does seem that the media like to root out any negative headline. Yes, sales of EVs aren't moving as quickly as many would hope, but the main thing I take from that article is that they made some bad procurement decisions, the alliance has had in-fighting so they are having to look at other supply options.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The article appears well-informed. Fascinating to read that Nissan cut a year from LEAF development to beat Zoe to the market.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Very interesting article.

Especially comments on new vehicles...
" An all-electric Tesla rival is still planned for Nissan's premium Infiniti brand in 2018 with batteries as big as 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh), more than twice the energy capacity of the Leaf, which is due for replacement the previous year."

As has been said by @Brooktop , it appears to be bad procurement decisions:
"Nissan is seeking to unwind a ruinous NEC contract that requires it to purchase electrodes for the full capacity of 220,000 Leaf-sized 24 kWh batteries regardless of actual sales, sources said. "
"Japanese engineers are still smarting from Renault's 2010 move to drop Nissan batteries and purchase LG for its flagship Zoe model, worsening the overcapacity problem."

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Very interesting. I sort of think Renault-Nissan did the right thing by trying to own battery manufacturing, it puts them in the best position once they're shipping hundreds of thousands of units a year. Sadly they are probably still 12 months away from having a 100k+ year, so they are still too "early". It'd be sad for them to drop out of that now though, if they really do get a larger pack in the Leaf 100k units could be "150k" batteries, and every 60kwh Infiniti is 2.5 Leafs.

Still, the talk of simply getting someone else into the plants in the US and UK to continue making cells is good, it's not like they are actually talking about producing -less- cells.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Also, rumours abound that the next Leaf will have 186 miles range, LG tells investors they will be supplying batteries for a 200 mile car, Nissan stops making its own batteries and announces a deal with LG.

Do the maths...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Also, rumours abound that the next Leaf will have 186 miles range, LG tells investors they will be supplying batteries for a 200 mile car, Nissan stops making its own batteries and announces a deal with LG.

Do the maths...
So the new LEAF will have a 36kWh battery it seems. (124 * 1.5).
I was kind of hoping for 48kWh to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
12,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
One good thing from reading this is the implication (not unexpected) that increasing battery capacity/range & reducing cost is critical - exactly what we're all asking for......

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Call me sceptical, but it reminds me of a month ago when GM refused to 'confirm nor deny' that the Ampera would not be replaced in the UK.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have a personal rule that is pretty reliable... if something in industry, sport, management, is denied then it is almost always turns out to be true!

A silly rule I know and I am sure that it is just my impression. Please don't rely on my rule... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts