Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems official Nissan Dealers currently offer a "free" home charger (EVSE), for both new cars and for second hand cars. I assume Nissan's offer takes advantage of the £500 Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) grant, so the actual cost to Nissan is fairly small.

Do they give you a choice of supplier and unit?

Nissan Leaf Free Home Charging Point | Pod Point suggests Nissan uses Pod-Point, and you'd have to pay £95 extra for the 7kW version. They have pretty clear guidelines at Home Electric Car Chargepoints | Pod Point about what their standard install covers (e.g. thick walls or over 15m of cabling), otherwise that would probably cost extra too.

Do Nissan let you choose the charger supplier? How about the Charge Master unit, since they claim to be official Nissan partners? Chargemaster Plc - For Home

On the other hand, if you organising things yourself you'd have free choice home charging unit & installer, and there are lots on the OLEV scheme.

Furthermore, currently in Scotland, you can get a further £500 rebate on top of the £500 from the OLEV from the Energy Saving Trust for a 32amp setup (subject to conditions, including a short list of suppliers which does not include Pod Point) Domestic charge point funding

So being in Scotland, assuming I wanted the 7kW charger or had a non-trivial installation (we have thick walls, and it could be over 15m to the driveway depending on cable routing), it looks like I may be better off ignoring the Nissan deal, and going for the Energy Saving Trust route?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
In Scotland the Energy Saving Trust route does look a better deal. (Not sure if you were asking a question or making a statement!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and kind of both - I was wanting a second opinion of my analysis.

I could be missing something but it does look like the Energy Savings Tryst root might be better if the install does not fall under the Power Pod standards. There are downsides too, it's a rebate so you have to pay out more money up front. I guess I'd need to get a site survey / quote to finally decide - once I've got an electric car.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I'm in Scotland, I went for the podpoint 'solo wi-fi' 7KW charger and paid the £95.00 extra.
IIRC, the 15M they give you 'free' is from the mains to the podpoint.
I went for a tethered unit, so it came with a cable from the podpoint to the car that seems to be about 3M (haven't measured it).
So more like 18M of cable you're getting, in total.
Their standard install also covers drilling through walls of up to 20 inches thick.
I was impressed with their customer service, it was painless and the installation engineer was a sound guy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I opted for the free Nissan Chargemaster point. Chargemaster wanted an extra £75 to go from 16A to 30A, which I declined to pay as our cars are only ever charged overnight anyway.

When the engineer arrived he asked me why I'd only opted for the 16A. When I said it's because I had no need to spend the £75, he said, "Oh don't worry about that, I've got a load of them in the van", and promptly fitted the 30A version at no cost :p

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I opted for the free Nissan Chargemaster point. Chargemaster wanted an extra £75 to go from 16A to 30A, which I declined to pay as our cars are only ever charged overnight anyway.

When the engineer arrived he asked me why I'd only opted for the 16A. When I said it's because I had no need to spend the £75, he said, "Oh don't worry about that, I've got a load of them in the van", and promptly fitted the 30A version at no cost :p
Maybe he didn't have any 16 amp ones with him (or they're all the same with just a different internal switch setting!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe he didn't have any 16 amp ones with him (or they're all the same with just a different internal switch setting!)
Definitely the case with pod point. It's the wiring and safety unit that has to be 32a rather than the unit, which just has to have an internal switch thrown.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Was pretty fed up this weekend, several chargers not working in Aberdeen.
Rapids and tricklers.
Luckily there isn't huge demand here and I was able to move, but still.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Definitely the case with pod point. It's the wiring and safety unit that has to be 32a rather than the unit, which just has to have an internal switch thrown.
I spoke to my installer about changing the type of connector in future.
He showed me inside the podpoint and showed me how easy it would be for me to install a different one myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just noticed this section on Charging Range Nissan LEAF - Electric Car | Nissan which says:

Your local dealer will refer you to one of our Home Charger suppliers who will provide you with a precise quote. The installation comes with a warranty and also gives you access to a helpline.

You can view details from POD Point here, or Chargemaster here.

So I guess you probably have a choice of at least two providers if getting the home charge point fitted by Nissan.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Complaint sent to chargescotland this weekend.
Fast charger near my house been out of order for over a week now.
If you look at their website, it says there's no need for us to report faults as the machines do it themselves.
Right enough, the machine display was saying "this fault has been logged"
But over a week isn't good enough, so sod their procedures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts