Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the styling of the petrol version, that one in that article, looks like a trout. Why change a winning formula? I will however be available for electric drift race testing if required :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but we need to remember all concept images are way of what they end up producing haha I remember seeing the concept of the new Type R and when it was released thought it was a completely different car.

If they build it rear wheel you can rest assure we will test drive it and get it side ways!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah but we need to remember all concept images are way of what they end up producing haha I remember seeing the concept of the new Type R and when it was released thought it was a completely different car.

If they build it rear wheel you can rest assure we will test drive it and get it side ways!
Good I can't wait to see your report! Lets hope they go with a less strange design... more Skyline-esque.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
I think it'll be a long while before we see a full BEV GTR.

People who buy GTRs actually take them to the track, and nearly all seem to be modified for more power/better brakes etc.

Take any current EV to a track and your be limping back to the pit-lane due to overheating/lack of charge after not much more than a lap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree gzoom but they must have developments in the background that we haven't heard of yet. I mean look at all the supercars they hope to build: Porsche E, Aston Martin, Concept One are a couple we've looked at and yeah probably not going to see them for a few years but I bet one of the test they are continuously doing is on track to ensure that they can be taken on track days. (This is the hope anyway)

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is what the boss of Porsche and Aston Martin was hinting at, and why the 'dismiss' the 0-60 launches of the Model S as a 'gimmick', since you cannot replicate that kind of sustained performance on the track...

But realistically the number of people that actually track their cars is tiny, I class my self as a 'petrol head' but I've ever only been on track once...The thought of smashing up your daily ride, burning through tyres/brakes/clutches isn't all that appealing.

I would love a weekend toy for the track though....But that's really just dream land, at least not now that I'm married and expecting to start having dependents :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is what the boss of Porsche and Aston Martin was hinting at, and why the 'dismiss' the 0-60 launches of the Model S as a 'gimmick', since you cannot replicate that kind of sustained performance on the track...

But realistically the number of people that actually track their cars is tiny, I class my self as a 'petrol head' but I've ever only been on track once...The thought of smashing up your daily ride, burning through tyres/brakes/clutches isn't all that appealing.

I would love a weekend toy for the track though....But that's really just dream land, at least not now that I'm married and expecting to start having dependents :)
Never lose your dreams, everything is possible, did you ever think you'd be driving an electric car? ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Elon really isnt that revolutionary, different fuel types were around before the ICE became popular, just oil became the best solution which is really rather strange as its a terrible solution...
But the electric car has now been made desirable with added cool factor. Would we be seeing the push so soon without them?

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
But the electric car has now been made desirable with added cool factor.
I would argue that they aren't any more desirable, certainly in my experience people dismiss EVs still but rather than they aren't viable replacement its more the ones with useful range are expensive toys for people with too much money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
But the electric car has now been made desirable with added cool factor. Would we be seeing the push so soon without them?
I have to agree with Jack, most people can't stand the look of my Nissan Leaf, if you are technically, environmentally or practically minded the technology and efficiency soon wins you over. I prefer the look of the older electric cars though. :)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
"Employee of organisation says he wouldn't mind doing something organisation hasn't yet done" is a long way from "Organisation hints that something is coming".

Apropos of nothing, I wouldn't mind a modular nuke for my back garden...

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yes indeed, I did a track day and remember hearing a "bang" from the pitlane as we all debriefed. Two guys had decided to head home early and hadn't quite paid enough attention to the warning about cooked brakes. One stopped, the other didn't.

It's interesting, an electric car could be ideal as a track-day car (no, really) since in general you only do 20-30 minute stints out on the track, unless it's an open pit lane one. If there was a supercharger in the pits you could top up while the car cooled down again. But (similar to ICE) you would need loads more cooling than currently exists - I think a Model S can manage about 5 minutes before it shuts down the power?

"Employee of organisation says he wouldn't mind doing something organisation hasn't yet done" is a long way from "Organisation hints that something is coming".

Apropos of nothing, I wouldn't mind a modular nuke for my back garden...
Would that be a pebble bed? Tell the missus you are building a rockery ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts