Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan have just announced over 4,000 jobs are to go and at least one production line in each factory.

Two factories are due to be closed completely.

Anyone like to guess how long Nissan production in Sunderland will last?

·
Registered
487 Posts
US sales are hit much worse than elsewhere. I wonder what that means for the Tennessee factory. The future for the Leaf doesn’t look great.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They’re doing too little too late. They might be the first to go to the wall.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ironic given how much they did to normalise the EV with the LEAF. Sure the Tesla was always better, but in a different market before the M3, and the Zoë came later but with less geographical penetration. Unfortunately they have lost their way both in terms of EVs and ICE, and without the Qashqia would have been in trouble sooner.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blame the Sunderland closure on the turkeys down there that voted for Christmas (brixmas).🙃
That didn’t take long. Read the article - nothing to do with Brexit. Nissan is floundering globally and is in a worse position in the US.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That didn’t take long. Read the article - nothing to do with Brexit. Nissan is floundering globally and is in a worse position in the US.
Of course the Sunderland closure is just a wild guess.

My wild guess puts it in the top 5 at least for a cull. Mainly because UK Gov have admitted that import tariffs will be reduced to zero.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,352 Posts
It must depend on the tariff between UK and EU. Maybe the uncertainty will be enough if Nissan have to decide soon.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Globally Sunderland is Nissan's best performing plant, so despite the uncertain nature of future trade deals made difficult by the economic war between China and America, I would expect Tennessee to be on the 'rack' before Sunderland. That said the EU emission fines, rather than border tariffs might drive Nissan out of producing cars for Europe since most of their cars have ancient ICEs that are gross polluters and they have not sold enough EVs to get the fleet average emissions down.

Because the workforce is so good I would expect the Chinese to buy Sunderland at a knock down price when Nissan get to the distressed sale stage.

PS This comes to you via a Vodafone badged home router built by Huawei. There is nothing moderrn in the house that was made in the USA. I think China will be the world's dominant economic power by 2030.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read heard somewhere last week that Nissan had told Europe if tariffs came in between EU and uk that they would close europe plants moving production to uk to undercut the European manufactures by avoiding tariffs.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That doesn’t make much sense. EU only set import tariffs. So this would be an incentive to move operations to the EU or Japan.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I read heard somewhere last week that Nissan had told Europe if tariffs came in between EU and uk that they would close europe plants moving production to uk to undercut the European manufactures by avoiding tariffs.
I don't think that will work. Half the parts come from Europe and Sunderland won't be very competitive with delays at borders. If Boris does a deal with the US we could get flooded with cheap cars from over there too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't think that will work. Half the parts come from Europe and Sunderland won't be very competitive with delays at borders. If Boris does a deal with the US we could get flooded with cheap cars from over there too.
What - a load of Dodge Rams and Ford F150s? Main beneficiary will be Tesla. Parts can also be sought from elsewhere rather than the EU e.g Japan, US, China

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What - a load of Dodge Rams and Ford F150s? Main beneficiary will be Tesla. Parts can also be sought from elsewhere rather than the EU e.g Japan, US, China
Worse than that - you’ll all be driving Chevy Cruzes. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,352 Posts
Chevy Bolt would be good, though!
Maybe we could make more parts here too.

I still think that Nissan will draw back to Japan.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts