Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we had a bit of a bad situation with the Nissan Leaf. We went for a long drive on a Sunday, not massively, but spent the day out and about, charged on a slow charger for a while too.

Arrived home, put the car on charge as usual over night (home "fast" charger).

Monday morning, grabbed some stuff from the boot and took the car off charge, went out for the day.

Tuesday afternoon, went to head out in the Leaf, and NOTHING. Doors wouldn't unlock, nothing was lighting up or operating in any way, shape or form.

Had a bit of a panic and tried to call for Leaf assistance (or whatever they're called) and eventually got through, while waiting for a call back I popped the bonnet and checked the 12V battery, it was totally dead.

I removed the battery and used a Halford's home charger to top it up, the car then powered up, so I took the batter back out and overnight gave it a full charge, and cancelled the call-out (Nissan will only take Leafs back to the dealer it seems, no "roadside").

Anyway, since then it's been fine, however I have called Glyn Hopkin in Milton Keynes to book a check-up to see if any faults registered or the battery is damaged and needs replacing.

I don't really see how this happened, I checked the interior light switches, they all were in the "off" or "door" position, and I'm SURE the car beeps at you if you try and leave it on and lock it?

Any ideas what may have caused this? Any history of this happening?

I will report back if the dealer has any findings. And while it's been fine since, it's a bit disconcerting this happened with no (apparent) explanation.

This is 2013 Nissan Leaf Acenta.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spoken to the dealer just now, they say it should be OK, and really just to monitor it and report back if it goes wrong again.

Not totally reassuring, but I guess what can they do if all seems well and no warning lights are on.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sorry to hear this Paul. There was a post on the LeafTalk forum some time back of a similar thing happening. Think they had left the lights on in that case but sounds like something else is hsppening for you? Something (alarm?) faulty and drawing on the 12 v or a 12 v with a fault?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used the manual key to get in and pop the lid, charged the 12v for ten minutes then investigated a bit more.

After I got in I checked that all was off as usual, as the LEAF has auto lights and wipers I don't dial them around and they were all as should be, the interior light switch was still on "door" and the main battery said a range of 59 miles, so not flat.

We have the solar panel and there's sun shining down on it, so that should in theory keep the 12v topped up? So basically the battery dies with no apparent reason.

I do tend to charge the car for an hour a night if it needs it or not, but last night was one of the rare occasions we didn't plug it in, so if the main charger does top-off or charge the 12 volt then I may have been thinking it was fine when it wasn't.

There goes my lunchtime gym session!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear this Paul. There was a post on the LeafTalk forum some time back of a similar thing happening. Think they had left the lights on in that case but sounds like something else is hsppening for you? Something (alarm?) faulty and drawing on the 12 v or a 12 v with a fault?
I googled quickly and found more on the US forums, seems that some have just had their 12v battery replaced and it's been fine.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Maybe the daily charge routine is hiding an issue with the 12v? Perhaps it's been on its way out for sometime, and not sticking the car on overnight killed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the keyless entry transponder reciever uses up quite a bit of juice constantly. It did with my ducati multistrada 1200 when I had one (it had a keyless ignition system too). If I didn't use the bike for more than 48 hours the 12v would start to die.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car is in use daily, charged almost daily, has the solar panel... not sure what to make of it. I have left it off of charge before with no issues, so seems quite random. That's one at about two months old, and again at about size months old.

Anyway, I have booked it in for next Wednesday at the Milton Keynes dealer and will report back anything they find... or don't find!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so despite being really clear, lengthy and explicit on the phone they thought it was the main battery, not the accessory battery... So that wasn't a great start! Fingers crossed they get to the bottom of this as it's not very reassuring to not know if your car will start in the morning.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, dealer in as much as a quandary as I. But without the risk of breaking down in their only car I guess.

No drains found on the battery, battery health fine (although not charged up fully, around 70-80% it looked like), no replacements etc as they say Nissan UK wont cover if they can't report a fault.

Apart from the rather short approach from the staff (maybe a bad day, benefit of the doubt), this is a total pain the backside.

Having it suggested to me that "doing lots of short distance trips" or leaving it "for two days" is bad for the battery and may be the cause rather hit some angry buttons, but I bit my tongue. Until now. :confused:

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Director's office is dealing with this now. They called with an update...

Nothing to add. No fault codes, nothing showing as faulty, so I will just have to wait and see if it goes wrong again and get it on a flatbed.

They wont even swap out a 12v battery as a gesture to at least rule out that first, probably cheapest and most simple, point of failure as an option/process of elimination.

I asked that, as I have a solar panel that's to the best of my knowledge was supposed to trickle charge the 12v, is it safe to assume this doesn't work? When it died first time it was decent weather, and if anything surely having that would make it less likely for a fault to arise? They had no idea what this option was, as they're not LEAF experts, they'll get back to me.

As for my other issue with a wrinkly seat, still with the warranty department, and it may be that it will look better when its older and the wear has evened out.

Oh, and no mention of the words apology or sorry for the suggestion it was the way I was sitting... Yes Nissan, this is my first ever car seat, and I've just had a replacement backside, I may be doing it all wrong!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Paul……..

It sounds like my sorry experiance with Nissan, it does not sound like they have improved at all…….still at least its not Renault that you have to deal with.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK... So I learned something from the past couple of days.

The suggestion the lights may have been left on is erroneous. Not only because I checked the lever positions immediately the second time this happened, but because you can't leave the lights on!

Usually I have the lights on "auto" but yesterday with the fog they were in the "on" position. When the car is off, the lights stay on. But the moment you open the door they switch off, they don't remain on and therefore are not draining the battery!

So you can't leave the lights on, the car was off (beeps like mad if it isn't), the interior lights were off, and I have a solar panel that's supposed to top up the 12v battery.

No fault. Wait until it happens again and flatbed is still the official line. Great.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I must be misunderstanding something here because it is law to leave lights on in some situations when parks so you must be able to leave the lights on or the car wouldn't be legal... what am I missing?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I must be misunderstanding something here because it is law to leave lights on in some situations when parks so you must be able to leave the lights on or the car wouldn't be legal... what am I missing?
You can probably activate side parking lights, usually requires the indicator stalk to be moved up/down. You can't leave them in "on" and they stay on.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bit more news from Nissan HQ.

Apparently some home charge units can keep the car "alive" by pinging back and forth for data when they're not charging. This can, in some circumstances, drain the 12v battery.

I can't recall if I had the LEAF plugged in when this happened, pretty sure I didn't, but to help with a process of elimination I'll no longer be topping up at night (usual behaviour) and rather "plug-sitting" the vehicle as much as possible.

Anyone heard of or aware of this? You'd think Pod-Point chargers should be good enough, they were a Nissan partner at one time (if they're not still, maybe they are)?

1 - 20 of 349 Posts