Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had a bit of a scare a few days ago. I started the climate control remotely to defrost my car, left it going for about 12 minutes and actually heard it shut off on its own as I got in. When I started the car it said it was in neutral (I left it in park) it also had the 12v battery warning light on and the power steering warning light (PS?) on. It also wouldn't let me change gear, so I turned it off, waited a few seconds, turned it back on and it seemed to be back to normal.

I haven't had the issue since, but I also haven't used the remote climate control again. So I have a few questions:

- How much of a drain is remote climate control on the battery?

If the 12v battery does die:

- Can you jump start the 12v battery?
- Where can we buy a replacement 12v battery?
- How do you replace the 12v battery in the leaf specifically? (I probably need an idiots guide)

Also has anyone else experienced similar issues? My leaf is fairly new, registered december 2015 (an ex-demo model), so I wasn't expecting any 12v battery issues this early. I'm a bit worried it might happen again though and just want to be prepared.

Cheers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not a Leaf owner but :-
  1. Yes, you can jump start the 12v battery, I have done this at a rapid charger to get a Leaf driver going when his 12v battery died while he was trying to get the traction battery charged. His battery was flat (no green ball showing) and needed replacing.
  2. The 12v battery is an ordinary one so can be bought where you normally buy car batteries.
  3. Replacing the battery is the same as on an ICE car, just unbolt it and swap it out for the new one.
I have noticed another thread where someone had a problem like yours with a fairly new Leaf and it turned out to be a problem with water leaking in through gaps around the windscreen where it had not been sealed properly, dripping onto relays inside the car and causing issues. Worth a read. Leaf wouldn't start (or shut down) - fault found and cured

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information davebodger. Would a regularly fogged windscreen make the explanation in that thread more likely? It's cold here most days so I put it down to that but if water has leaked in could that make it worse? It seems I regularly have to demist the windshield, I mean I might demist it, turn the heater off, be driving for about 10 minutes, then have to demist it again (well before it blocks visibility).

I'm scheduled for a check-up with the dealership on Feb 11th is this something I could ask them to check and possibly fix for me? If so what would be the best way to phrase it?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, a fogged windscreen would point in that direction, however it can also be caused by use of the air conditioning to clear the windscreen; condensate collects in the a/c and heat from the heater causes it to evaporate back onto the screen when you stop. The effect is worst on short journeys in cold weather.
But it definitely looks like a trip to the dealers is in order, just to get it checked out.

Have you tried feeling under the mats in the foot-wells, to see if the carpet is damp?
Water tends to find the lowest level.
If you can find any damp patches then complain about that and mention the electrical problems and that you read about a similar problem on a website that was due to a leaky window seal and could they check that.
Not rocket science for them really. :)
If it is the window seal then just fixing that will probably make the other problems go away. (y)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I think my 12v needs replacing (I will get it confirmed by taking it to a Halfords garage this week). Can anyone recommend a good battery brand for a replacement?

Looks like the existing battery (I assume it is the original battery) is sealed. I'm guessing I should get the same type of sealed battery then?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My 12v battery is definitely not good so ordered a replacement from the parts shop round the corner before it lets me down. It is a Varta battery that is for the Leaf, so I have been told. I'll find out tomorrow what model it is. The shop didn't have any that looked right, in stock.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have just bought this. I must fit it though!! I've had it since Thursday.......

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
WARNING - the Bosch S3 002 isn't a suitable replacement for all Nissan Leafs. I foolishly saw the photos of the four battery and assumed Nissan had used the same battery footprint for all their models of Leaf.
Kicking myself for ordering a battery over the internet now!
IMG_20170913_202058.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
WARNING - the Bosch S3 002 isn't a suitable replacement for all Nissan Leafs. I foolishly saw the photos of the four battery and assumed Nissan had used the same battery footprint for all their models of Leaf.
Kicking myself for ordering a battery over the internet now!
View attachment 55241
Take advantage of the distance selling laws and send it back for a refund.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts