Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Nissan Leaf 2011 for 8 + years and need to replace the faulty batteries. I have done over 97000 miles, but no one want's to know + the heater has packed up which Nissan have quoted over £3300 to fix, The car runs fine. When it was sold to me, Nissan said there is a program where they can change batteries for the cost of £2500, but denia this now. Can the faulty batteries be fixed, and the heater PTC at a reasonable cost in the UK?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have had my Nissan Leaf 2011 for 8 + years and need to replace the faulty batteries. I have done over 97000 miles, but no one want's to know + the heater has packed up which Nissan have quoted over £3300 to fix, The car runs fine. When it was sold to me, Nissan said there is a program where they can change batteries for the cost of £2500, but denia this now. Can the faulty batteries be fixed, and the heater PTC at a reasonable cost in the UK?
Cleevely should be able help...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe Cleevely get there batteries from Muxsan in the Netherlands.

Here is a link to their website with prices - products | MUXSAN Obviously this will not apply in the UK with exchange rates, shipping etc.

If you look here you can watch the process at Cleevely's Cheltenham premises -

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
I have a 2011 leaf with a muxsan 17.6kwh battery. Unfortunately I think my heater may have died but worse my precharge resistor died so currently mine is waiting to be fixed at a garage I am very confident in. The issue on mine is not with muxsan extender but a nissan firmware bug which when the 12v is low and its cold can cause a stuck relay which can lead to overcurrent through the precharge resistor causing it to act like a fuse. Anyway I shall hopefully have mine fixed soon and be back in action before this time next month. Luckily we have a similar gen1 2013 leaf which is still fine. Take home message here is maintain your 12v on the gen1 nissan leaf. In winter if you dont you can be left with an undriveable car. I was lucky i fitted a tow bar, my neighbour and the tow truck guy needed it to a) reverse the car from my driveway onto the road and b) get the heavier that stock leaf onto the truck.

I bought my 2011 with a broken heater. Indra fixed it and it happened to be the heater that was broken, (Indra don't do this anymore but Jay at powerdrive in Malvern should be able to help. It could also be a fuse which is blown which takes a long time to sort thus the repair was £1200 at indra back 4 yrs ago. (when Jay was working for them)

Fast forward today and I don't know yet whether my heater is broken again or that the precharge resistor just blew on its own but I am also looking at eberspacher d3wz diesel heaters as they could be used on the same heating fluid loop and have the fringe benefit of increasing winter range. Leafma on youtube has done this and runs his on biodiesel.

Even if mine isnt broken once it is drivable again I will fit the eberspacher because it should be able to run along side the electric heater and should be able to supplement 3kw of heat.

When I last looked at prices for breakers yard in Lithunia (via ebay) for a second hand ptc heater (which can be again a timebomb) it was £300 and that was without fitting and may not be your issue so thats why its important to have someone like Matt or Jay to diagnose it. That was 4 years ago, i didn't know how to do it so i paid 4 times as much to indra but thats life, we have to pay others to do things we don't know how to/can't.
What I did do is fit £25 heated seat pads into the front seats using Paul Kennett's youtube video as a guide and that is a really good £25 spent. Makes the car very usable in the cold and gets you back alot of range warming the person not the car. The blowers should still be working which will allow you to demist a little.

Anyway I would suggest talking to Dala @ Dalas evs/ [email protected] EV about upgrading the pack under the car using a muxsan mitm. This should be the first mod. If your old canary (nissan code name) pack is failing, then it will hold back your GTE packs in the extender pack of a muxsan extender. I am looking for crashed leafs periodically to upgrade mine with a 30 or 40kwh. My advice to you is do this first rather than just getting an extender, it may be all you need and second gen leaf packs are a newer chemistry with proven increases in longevity.

Anyway hope you find a solution to your diminished range. It sounded like you want to keep it. Hope my advice helps here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
@whereswally66 has given best advice so far.

1) swap the battery with a newer 30kWh or 40kWh sh one.
2) Install a diesel heater, there's a way to install even a n air one. Plenty of video's on yotube from Russian owners. They are running their leafs in -40 degrees Celsius.

With the 1st option I can help, if you are around MK.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@whereswally66 has given best advice so far.

1) swap the battery with a newer 30kWh or 40kWh sh one.
2) Install a diesel heater, there's a way to install even a n air one. Plenty of video's on yotube from Russian owners. They are running their leafs in -40 degrees Celsius.

With the 1st option I can help, if you are around MK.

What would be the cost of swapping the battery if you helped?

·
Registered
100 Posts
What would be the cost of swapping the battery if you helped?
The work consists in:

1) physically removing the old battery.

2) opening it and swapping the modules or the wiring, because newer battery packs 2013+ have different communications sockets.

3) mounting the battery pack back.

4) installing a can-bridge in the car, on the can bus between the battery and the car.

A rough figure would be 1500£.

Does it seem reasonable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The work consists in:

2) opening it and swapping the modules or the wiring, because newer battery packs 2013+ have different communications sockets.

4) installing a can-bridge in the car, on the can bus between the battery and the car.

Does it seem reasonable?

Hi Thats not bad, my car is only worth £3k "with we buy any " that would give me a few years

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
The work consists in:

Does it seem reasonable?

It does, but that doesn't include the cost of the replacement battery.

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
213 Posts
Oh my god, what would it cost with 4 bars down
Regards
Prices that i've seen quoted are £7000 for a 30kw, or £8000 for a 40kw - fitting and battery. I'd like to get a 40kw myself, but there's currently few or none of these available in salvage yards.

Dala has a video where he describes a super budget battery replacement, which was cheaper - but he's doing this below cost.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
Fixed my precharge resistor and is now fixable at the road side should it happen again. Now that my muxsan 2011 leaf if back on the road we will be putting the 2013 back up for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts