Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Before I say anything... this is my first post, I’m awaiting delivery of my 2014 Leaf 24kw, and I’m not some crazy car modder with the need to rebuild every car I ever buy.

But... the car I’m getting is black. The seats are black. The interior is black. Except the gear stick surround - which is bright metallic blue. I’m sure that appeals to some people (clearly someone bought the car originally). It will just grate with me.

I’ve seen that I can get a gloss black surround from eBay (from a registered car breaker). I’ve found how to remove the surround to clean the selector but I can’t find any videos/guides on replacing the surround.
One or two of the listings suggest you may have to get the surround coded to the car. The only thing I can think is that it’s for the gear indicator panel just behind the selector. From what I can see - that is the only electronic thing built into the otherwise entirely cosmetic surround.

Has anyone replaced the gear selector surround? Or does anyone know if you do have to code the surround o the car?

I’m happy that I could replace it, unless it needs coding which would then become a very expensive minor cosmetic change.
It’s not essential - it will just bug me that the blue is quite so “out there” compared to the rest of the car.

I’m very much looking forward to joining the Leaf club.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Welcome to the world of EVs.
No coding necessary, it is plug and play. If you want to do a straight swap for a standard black one I'm happy to do that. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a quicker reply than I’d expected for this time of day - you’ve set expectations high now!

I dont have the car yet. - but now I know it’s just a plug and play swap out I can start work on my wife to allow me to rip apart the car she’s only just let me order, so It may be some time before I can find a reason that the blue one is “broken and needs replacing”.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Understood, but at least you know it's possible!
More importantly, enjoy the car as it is first, they are great.
Have you got off road parking and sorted out charging?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Off road parking is sorted, and I have Access to electrics to 3-pin charge.
I’m in a process with ChargeMaster to get a charge point in - but who knows how long that will take or if they’ll be able to install it... my drive (in my garden, behind gates) is 14.3 metres from my mains, and apparently the charger has to be within 10 metres of a fuse board.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Off road parking is sorted, and I have Access to electrics to 3-pin charge.
I’m in a process with ChargeMaster to get a charge point in - but who knows how long that will take or if they’ll be able to install it... my drive (in my garden, behind gates) is 14.3 metres from my mains, and apparently the charger has to be within 10 metres of a fuse board.
I'm pretty sure they can still install. They'll just charge a bit extra for more than 10 meters or wiring. I know that's the case with Pod Point at least.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Piece of free advice, go for an untethered 7kW charge point. The LEAF uses a so called Type 1 plug and most only need 3.6 kW, but that is the Betamax standard, most cars sold in the last three years use a Type 2 and can charge at 7kW. If you buy a type 1 tethered charger you will have to swap the lead in the future, whereas if you buy untethered it is easy to switch. A 7kW untethered charger will be about £100 more expensive in the first place but a worthwhile investment unless you are intending moving home in the next couple of years.
From a personal point of view I'd avoid Chargemaster unless you were given a free install as a sweetener on the purchase. Depending on what features you want there are better and more cost effective options on the market.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I'm pretty sure they can still install. They'll just charge a bit extra for more than 10 meters or wiring. I know that's the case with Pod Point at least.
In fact when PodPoint fitted one for my son in March their pre-installation notes suggested that anything up to 15 metres would be considered 'standard'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had another conversation with BPC. My contact was too busy to speak to me, so her colleague dealt with me.
15 metres is included in the OLEV grant, and they’re just going to run a cable round the bottom of my wall from the primary fuse board. Zero fuss.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
It is probably one of the standard Nissan option, Part Number: 999G38Z000, around £150 originally.

There are some very strange ones in the USA with the same part number such as the one below:

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
It is probably one of the standard Nissan option, Part Number: 999G38Z000, around £150 originally.

There are some very strange ones in the USA with the same part number such as the one below:

Isn't that just stuck on top of the black one? it's just a cosmetic cover?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.