Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just purchased a second hand (Only one owner) Nissan Lead Acenta 2016 model with 23000 miles on the clock.
I picked up the vehicle on Saturday and was fully charged.

I live in London, as did the previous owner.
The Battery Conditioning meter is showing a full 12 bars. So all good so far.

I drive outside London to get to work in to Kent). Average Millage to get to work is around 15 miles.

I drive in Eco Mode and B Mode. Never drive fast (London traffic).

This morning I left for work with the range estimator showing as 77 miles. Now i have arrived at work it is showing 47 miles. Twice what it should be?!

I cant work out what is causing this huge difference.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
On your way home do you get back with 30 miles less again, or is it better. This will show that elevation is your enemy on the way to work and your friend on the way home. That doesn't sound too dissimilar to our old 2015 24kWh Leaf especially this time of year when you have the heat on in the car (maybe a bit more balmy down south so you don't need it as much). Also the Leaf Guess-O-Meter gets more accurate below 50%, the violent swings based on speed/elevation/heat us tend to ease off. A better guage is to look at what battery % you used for your outbound trip and then look again what you use on the way home and see if the two tally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok thank you. I leave the heating off to maximise it (Still cold down south!). And the elevation might be an issue. Will find out and monitor on my trip home this evening. There are a lot of up and down hills which i suspect might cause issues, but surprised its this much difference.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Eco is rarely worthwhile - it just dulls the "throttle" response and limits how much power the heating will pull, I think.
B-Mode is very worthwhile, especially in stop-start traffic.
The Guess-O-Meter is almost entirely worthless in terms of the actual numbers it gives - set the display to show battery %age and go from that (though the GOM can be useful to decide whether to stop at the next available charger or press on to the following one - if you're a mile from the next charger and the gap is, say, 12 miles and you still have "30 miles" remaining you can be fairly sure you'll make it. If it says you have "only" 15-18 miles range remaining then it's best to stop!).
The Leaf has appalling aerodynamics - slowing down a bit does wonders for the rate of energy consumption - and head winds are your enemy. For longer journeys I usually tend to stick to an indicated ~62-66mph and join the trucks in the "slow lane" - if you run along at 70-75mph indicated you'll get a fair bit less range. God forbid you actually travel at a genuine 70mph unless you have plenty of charge to get to your next charger.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a LEAF 40KWh and this is how I reasonably accurately work out the actual range of the GOM (Guess o Meter) - I take what the GOM reads at any given time and in winter I deduct 20% miles range, the remaining figure is the actual range. In spring and autumn I deduct 15% and in summer when its warmer and the range increases, I deduct 10%. additionally when the GOM reads zero (flashing lines) NISSAN keep some battery capacity in reserve and you can probably get another 3 or 4 miles, but wouldn't push it.

If your GOM reads 77 mile, then deduct 20% - 15 miles and your actual range is 62 miles or there about, hope this helps.

Also, an electric car uses a lot more energy when its raining or if the roads are wet, as this increases rolling resistance, this is something that is not noticed in a ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the GOM, they don't call it a guess-o-meter for nothing.

Look at the battery percentage. You can bring it up on the little display behind the wheel or you can show it on the navigation screen. Look at how many percent you use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all ! I will change it to Percentage and 'monitor'. Is there anyway to turn the SatNav off?....i guess even the headlights on doesnt help with the power consumption.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I don't think the head unit makes much difference, I just left it on the map most of the time.

Yours is a 30kWh model? You should get about 1%/mile without much effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 24kWh. but i actually gained battery at one point on the way home. which shows that elevation does take in to account. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts