Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I'm new here but wanted to get it out there the problems I've had with Nissan and my 2016 leaf recently.
So basically my brakes failed whilst driving (luckily at low speed) they made an awful grinding noise when pressed hard, it was so scary and even the hand brake power was deminished. I had the car towed to the garage and waited for Diagnostics. Unfortunately the car was just 4 months out of warranty and the garage informed me that the A.C.T unit had gone so the electric break controller. She said they had spoken to Nissan and as a goodwill gesture they offered 25%off the part which was £3,103.99 plus labour! Now a 5yr old car only done 38,000 miles and full service history...... £3,500 fix!!! . Opened a case with Nissan to ask for more help due to the severity really 25%was a slap in the face. I got one call back in 12 days, after numerous attempts and he basically didn't want to know. He was cold and not interested one bit, I was left with no car as hire car was for 3 days only or I would be back charged for it if I didn't have the car repaired with Nissan dealers. We were getting nowhere after all this time, so my husband looked online to discover a whole lot of complaints about the same thing all over the world. Read that it's more common than we expected and said the brakes will still work when slammed so we've just bought it home slowly (thankfully no accident) to try and repair ourselves.
The part online is £80 for a second hand one. The problem is that no garages will repair electric cars! I tried cleevely who would do it for us but struggle to get it there as we are in the Midlands so basically Nissan can hold us to ransom. Can't believe the cost they've quoted it's extortionate. So here's to hoping we can get it sorted!
If you have a leaf and it's getting old just bare in mind where you are in the country and if you can get it repaired as it's definitely put me off. Customer service at Nissan is shocking.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,491 Posts
The press love tales like this. Get them involved. How long ago did you buy the car?

Find a HEVRA garage nearer to you if Cleevely are too far away. A second hand part would need to be checked and refurbished before using it as otherwise it could just fail in the same way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had it from new. Done Hevra garage too, didn't even get back to me. I'm not keeping it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,491 Posts
If there are a lot of failures like this it might be possible it's been faulty from new ie it's a manufacturing defect so consumer rights could come into play. I'd think you'd need legal advice for that.

Social media stink is a good bet too. Nissan need a kick up the arse.

I'd also report it to the DVSA as it might force a recall and get the affected part replaced FOC for owners.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Carol- Consumer law has changed quite a lot in the last few years. The EU is enacting a directive to force companies to provide service manuals and information to consumers; they are also passing directives that ensure all companies that import or manufacture in the EU must provide spare parts for a minimum period of 10 years and make their items serviceable by consumers within safety constraints. The idea is to stop the mountains of waste electronics and white goods being dumped into landfill-it's all about the environment. It applies to all manufactured goods, so includes vehicles. The other part is the warranty period. Manufactures can no longer state 12 months warranty, if it's 12 months and a day you're out of luck. The warranties are now pro-rata. So if your tv fails 3 years after purchase, you get the value of the tv less 3 years use up to a limit of ten years.
The brexit withdrawal agreement includes the ratification of EU rules on consumer rights, so it also applies to us.
What it doesn't include are the mechanisms for complaints within the EU's borders, we have to use the UK's mechanisms.

So -
A five year old car with catastrophic brake failure falls well within the remit of the new consumer laws that have been passed since 2015 and are still continuing to be amended at the present time.
If there is a history of this issue worldwide and it can be shown that Nissan are ignoring your consumer rights by trying to say the car is out of warranty-it's not. There is now a 10 year pro-rata warranty. This is probably why they offered 25% (on a rip-off price to start with) discount as they know that by law you are entitled to 50%.

Reactions: Carol17

·
Registered
348 Posts
I doubt the brake controller is a high voltage part. Whilst many 'old school' garages are indeed scared to touch conventional parts of a car that happens to be powered by battery, there are quite a few that understand the difference between the HV drivetrain and the auxiliary components. I think you might find someone more local to do it with a bit more calling around. The brake controller ought not to be different (fitting wise at least) to any other Nissan with adaptive cruise that applies the brakes.

Alternatively it sounds like it would be cheaper to either hire a vehicle transporter yourself or use Shipley et al for one-way transportation to Cleevelys. I've had quotes of around £150 for circa 200 miles - though that was long before the current HGV driver shortages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there are a lot of failures like this it might be possible it's been faulty from new ie it's a manufacturing defect so consumer rights could come into play. I'd think you'd need legal advice for that.

Social media stink is a good bet too. Nissan need a kick up the arse.

I'd also report it to the DVSA as it might force a recall and get the affected part replaced FOC for owners.
I've been in touch with the Motor ombudsman and waiting for a response but yes definitely taking it further.
Carol- Consumer law has changed quite a lot in the last few years. The EU is enacting a directive to force companies to provide service manuals and information to consumers; they are also passing directives that ensure all companies that import or manufacture in the EU must provide spare parts for a minimum period of 10 years and make their items serviceable by consumers within safety constraints. The idea is to stop the mountains of waste electronics and white goods being dumped into landfill-it's all about the environment. It applies to all manufactured goods, so includes vehicles. The other part is the warranty period. Manufactures can no longer state 12 months warranty, if it's 12 months and a day you're out of luck. The warranties are now pro-rata. So if your tv fails 3 years after purchase, you get the value of the tv less 3 years use up to a limit of ten years.
The brexit withdrawal agreement includes the ratification of EU rules on consumer rights, so it also applies to us.
What it doesn't include are the mechanisms for complaints within the EU's borders, we have to use the UK's mechanisms.

So -
A five year old car with catastrophic brake failure falls well within the remit of the new consumer laws that have been passed since 2015 and are still continuing to be amended at the present time.
If there is a history of this issue worldwide and it can be shown that Nissan are ignoring your consumer rights by trying to say the car is out of warranty-it's not. There is now a 10 year pro-rata warranty. This is probably why they offered 25% (on a rip-off price to start with) discount as they know that by law you are entitled to 50%.
Wow thank you for this! I'm disgusted with them. They can claim 20%vat back on the part so basically they were giving us nothing really. They are making a massive

So -
It's disgusting but thanks a lot for the information, much appreciated. 25% was rubbish they can claim 20% back in vat! So giving nothing really. It's totally done me!
I doubt the brake controller is a high voltage part. Whilst many 'old school' garages are indeed scared to touch conventional parts of a car that happens to be powered by battery, there are quite a few that understand the difference between the HV drivetrain and the auxiliary components. I think you might find someone more local to do it with a bit more calling around. The brake controller ought not to be different (fitting wise at least) to any other Nissan with adaptive cruise that applies the brakes.

Alternatively it sounds like it would be cheaper to either hire a vehicle transporter yourself or use Shipley et al for one-way transportation to Cleevelys. I've had quotes of around £150 for circa 200 miles - though that was long before the current HGV driver shortages.
Thanks for this and yes, it's worth a try. It doesn't look too hard to swap it actually. Nissan are putting a totally different part on though compared to the code on my car so that tells me there's a fault with it. Feel totally let down by them.

Thanks for the advice and yes you're right looking on line it doesn't look too difficult so worth a try. Paying for transport is still cheaper eh worse case scenario. Not letting it drop with them though.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf 24kWh
1 Posts
Hi Carol17, I've just bought a 2016 Nissan Leaf and have been lurking here for a while, so reading about your problem made me sit up a bit sharpish! I was searching for what the ACT unit did and came across some info on a New Zealand site that has some information that may help your cause? It appears this problem is known about.

Reported failures of the e-ACT Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit in Nissan Leafs manufactured between November 2012 and February 2016 - FlipTheFleet

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for that article, phew mine is a C series unit, July 16 build.

Shocking attitude from Nissan in this case, hope if gets sorted Ok, plenty of ammo to hit them with i think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope you get it sorted, these are the reasons why as a company we are looking to provide cheaper aftermarket solutions to the EV market so that these extortionate prices won't have to be paid.

Just out of interest the above article linked made a comment about the gen 1.2/1.3. What does the 1.2/1.3 model refer to?

Font Temperature Rectangle Number Event

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Carol17, I've just bought a 2016 Nissan Leaf and have been lurking here for a while, so reading about your problem made me sit up a bit sharpish! I was searching for what the ACT unit did and came across some info on a New Zealand site that has some information that may help your cause? It appears this problem is known about.

Reported failures of the e-ACT Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit in Nissan Leafs manufactured between November 2012 and February 2016 - FlipTheFleet
Thank you, this is what my husband found. Couldn't believe it.
I hope you get it sorted, these are the reasons why as a company we are looking to provide cheaper aftermarket solutions to the EV market so that these extortionate prices won't have to be paid.

Just out of interest the above article linked made a comment about the gen 1.2/1.3. What does the 1.2/1.3 model refer to?

View attachment 149826
Sorry, I'm not sure my husband is more up on all this.

·
Registered
43 Posts

View attachment 149826
I think the 1.2/1.3 is a (non-standard) NZ terminology for generations of Leaf. Bear in mind we get most of our Leafs (for the 24 and 30 models) as secondhand imports from Japan (and a few that way from the UK). 1.1 is the first version, early battery chemistry, no heatpump, hump in boot where the charging electronics lives. 1.2 is 2013ish, heatpumps, better battery chemistry, typically dark rather than light interior. 1.3 is, I think, the update that added things like lane keeping assist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nissan parts prices are completely 100% off the scale (even compared with MB BMW etc) - it seems that it is an arrogant organisation that does not care after the car has been sold. I will never to buy another Nissan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nissan parts prices are completely 100% off the scale (even compared with MB BMW etc) - it seems that it is an arrogant organisation that does not care after the car has been sold. I will never to buy another Nissan.
Nor me after this. Extortionate and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
I do find it bemusing when owners are very happy with their vehicle, manufacturer and dealer until there is a problem then they are beaten up on social media.

Sh%t happens, no-one wants expensive repairs or to pay rip off prices. I doubt Nissan's parts prices for EV parts are higher than those from VW, or Korean brands.

It's a 5year old car with a very rare fault - sorry it's bad luck - could happen to anyone.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Out of interest, how much did they offer to sell you an extended warrantee for? If memory serves from when I had mine it wasn't much.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it might be worth getting if you are another owner of an aging Leaf reading this thread.
The cost of repairing an EV is one of the reasons that pushed me into leasing new cars every few years

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do find it bemusing when owners are very happy with their vehicle, manufacturer and dealer until there is a problem then they are beaten up on social media.

Sh%t happens, no-one wants expensive repairs or to pay rip off prices. I doubt Nissan's parts prices for EV parts are higher than those from VW, or Korean brands.

It's a 5year old car with a very rare fault - sorry it's bad luck - could happen to anyone.
My experience with Nissan parts prices was nothing to do with it being an EV nor were they prices for big ticket items. But they were completely stupid rip off prices - much higher (several times more - not 10-20%) than I have paid recently (ish) for similar parts from other main dealers eg VAG and Mercedes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts