Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a nissan leaf used 40kwh with 13k miles on the clock and im experiencing a clunking and clicking noise from the front end which is getting worse it happens when accelerating a decelerating.
I have had it in a nissan and they are saying its a normal noise and its just what the leafs make the technition has tested the other leafs at the dealer and this noise is normal for a leaf.
I have had it in to nissan three times altogether and they just greased the drive shafts and cleaned them the first and second time and third just saying nothing wrong with it this is why im suspicious that the shafts are the issue.
I then decided to get an independent garage have a look and they diagnosed it to be the driveshaft straight away they said there is major play in the shaft where it meets the diff. There is also a video they gave me to show the play in the shaft and its pretty bad.
Because i have only owned this car for 2months i am going through a vehicle rejection as i am not happy with it one bit to get a major issue at 15kmiles is unheard of.
Has anybody else had this issue and what was the outcome?

·
Registered
111 Posts
This can be fixed. I only had the issue with e-Pedal engaged. The dealer had the car for a few hours. They say they greased the driveshafts and then correctly torqued them.

This problem has not re-occurred...unlike the creaking mirror folding mechanism they replaced last August which now creaks again!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,422 Posts
I'll have to see if mine does it. It's done 15000 miles so possible.

Disappointing response from the dealer. Wonder if you could do a pre MOT check on the car at a council MOT station to see whether they consider the drive shaft slop an issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Disappointing response from the dealer. Wonder if you could do a pre MOT check on the car at a council MOT station to see whether they consider the drive shaft slop an issue?

This can be fixed. I only had the issue with e-Pedal engaged. The dealer had the car for a few hours. They say they greased the driveshafts and then correctly torqued them.

This problem has not re-occurred...unlike the creaking mirror folding mechanism they replaced last August which now creaks again!
Nissan has already had tge driveshaft out twice and regreased re torqued and cleaned and its not solved the problem and nissan are just saying its a normal sound for a leaf but i know it isnt. How can they say this when i have clear evidence from independent dealer which which have certificates to work on ev and hybrids that the driveshaft is the issue its knocking and there is major play where it meets the diff and also the cv joints are worn?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,422 Posts
if It's a normal noise for a leaf you need to try one they claim makes that noise. If it does then it is possibly normal. If not then it's straight to formal complaint with Nissan UK.

I'd try a different Nissan main dealer as well. They all do that sir response is common when they can't be arsed to fix an issue.

Can you post the video of the noise and driveshaft movement?

This thread looks worth a read as well Click!Click!Click! New drive shaft? - My Nissan Leaf Forum

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,954 Posts
I agree with the above. Time for a different dealer. Don't forget dealers don't like warranty work as the manufacturer screws them on price so you need to find one that wants to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They wouldnt let me at the dealer i had it in at twice at same dealer then a different one twice they greased up the driveshaft then last one saying about its a normal noise for a leaf. I think nissan know its a driveshaft fault but they dont want to pay to fix it so i got no other choice but to reject the vehicle under the consumer rights act. Im not putting up with a car thats done 15k miles and nissan are leaving me driving around with a clunky driveshaft its dangerous if it was to fail at speed

• if It's a normal noise for a leaf you need to try one they claim makes that noise. If it does then it is possibly normal. If not then it's straight to formal complaint with Nissan UK.

I'd try a different Nissan main dealer as well. They all do that sir response is common when they can't be arsed to fix an issue.

Can you post the video of the noise and driveshaft movement?

This thread looks worth a read as well Click!Click!Click! New drive shaft? - My Nissan Leaf Forum

• I agree with the above. Time for a different dealer. Don't forget dealers don't like warranty work as the manufacturer screws them on price so you need to find one that wants to help.
    To late now mate i aint chasing around its a pain in the arse hiring cars and taking it to the dealers for them to say theres nothing wrong with it. i have enough evidence to reject ive spoke to trading standards and they said they shouldnt be an issue as you clearly have a faulty vehicle which isnt fit for purpose and they cannot just leave the driveshaft as it is

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Chances are they have done bugger all. Mine went in for the Molykote N grease up and retorque and it cured it. If you search you will find the correct TB (technical bulletin) number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had my car back in at a different nissan dealer about the driveshaft clunking noise,
It has come back as a nissan bulletin that it needs a kit which means replacing wheel bearing and hub and bolts. The dealer was suprised to see i had my car looked at 3 times before at nissan dealers and they never picked up on that it needed this kit as a bulletin for the leafs.
Why would one dealer say its a normal noise for the leafs if it needs a new wheel hub and bearing?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,422 Posts
Did the better dealer say which age of Leafs were affected? Do they automatically do this work at service time or wait until someone moans about noises?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They didnt say which age i will phone and ask today they just said it was my particular model. Ive searched online on nissan leaf 2018 bulletins but i carnt seem to find this one.
They are saying leaving it as it is wont damage the car? But they was really pushy about getting it rebooked in.

They are putting it down as a modification, more like replacing the failing parts with ones that are more substantial as this is a leaf issue on im guessing the older model and the early 2018 40kwh
Im not a mechanic but i know leaving any noise which involves metal on metal clicking or cluncking will eventually fail or cause further damage

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
If you search the forum, there was a spate of reports of faulty driveshafts maybe a year ago. Some problems were resolved by retorquing. Some need replacement if the out of spec driveshafts.

Get reading!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I originally had it on my 2 Zero within 2 months or so.
Got it sorted, Molykote G-N and torque the hubs nuts up.
Then my wife says, my car does that, a 2016 24 Tekna.

So any can have it. I suspect the higher power of the 40s make it happen quicker.

My new 40 is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the clicking noise on a June 2019 Leaf at about 9000 miles. Thought it might be a relay noise. After seeing the posts here took it in to a dealer earlier this week. Before looking at the car the service guy found a service bulletin about a driveshaft problem. Didn't tell me what but after an hour problem solved.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The problem of worn driveshaft joints is because the wrong grease was used in assembly. Nissan know this so the dealer should replace worn driveshafts and not try to hide the problem by increasing the torque on bolts. At very least, but only if the wear is very light, the grease should be replaced with the correct type.

·
Registered
2019 Leaf Tekna 40kW
1 Posts
The problem of worn driveshaft joints is because the wrong grease was used in assembly. Nissan know this so the dealer should replace worn driveshafts and not try to hide the problem by increasing the torque on bolts. At very least, but only if the wear is very light, the grease should be replaced with the correct type.
I've just had the same thing diagnosed - Nissan bulletin out - incorrect grease used at factory, need to replace the driveshaft and regrease it, but the grease needs to be ordered from Nissan (or the driveshaft does). Also a rear wheel bearing was gone after 15k.

I worked for Nissan for several years and buy my leafs from the same dealer I used to sell them for, so I knew something wasn't right with it straight away. They're honest with me and don't give me any BS so it's good to know I'm not imagining it. I think there was one particular technician at Sunderland who has been installing them wrong for years - it happens all the time at the factories - one person not quite doing their job properly causes thousands of cars to be recalled globally.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I've just had the same thing diagnosed - Nissan bulletin out - incorrect grease used at factory, need to replace the driveshaft and regrease it, but the grease needs to be ordered from Nissan (or the driveshaft does). Also a rear wheel bearing was gone after 15k.

I worked for Nissan for several years and buy my leafs from the same dealer I used to sell them for, so I knew something wasn't right with it straight away. They're honest with me and don't give me any BS so it's good to know I'm not imagining it. I think there was one particular technician at Sunderland who has been installing them wrong for years - it happens all the time at the factories - one person not quite doing their job properly causes thousands of cars to be recalled globally.
You got to be kidding over the solo technician right?
He either works a lot of overtime or I have just been unlucky that 3 of my last 4 Leaf have had it.
I suspect the other one was sold too early for it to develop.

Annoying thing is it was a well known issue before my current car was built but it too has developed it.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,016 Posts
I have had this both on the 40Kwh and the 62KWh, it was no real issue getting it fixed, just the hassle of giving up time to take it in. In a way, though, it has taken the shine off having a new car, that In all other respects has been extremely reliable, you sort of think if that hasn’t been bottomed out by NISSAN, what else is going to go wrong.

I don’t know if the motor drive assembly are delivered to the factory pre assembled, if so then it could be a sub contractor, supply line problem rather than in house. Either way it must costing them dearly in warranty rework and peeing customers off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts