Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently replaced my 2018 Nissan Leaf with a 2019 model. This is supposed to have an ability to connect to WiFi (for map updates etc). When I got the car, this option was "on" and I could see various SSIDs including my home router and iPhone hotspot, but could not get a connection. I then (foolishly) turned WiFi off and now it won't turn back on again! So now I don't even see the SSIDs. I tried calling Nissan Customer "services", but they don't have a clue and said they would escalate to the Telematics team, who sent me a link on how to setup the Nissan Connect Service app (which I have got to work)!!!! Anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I recently replaced my 2018 Nissan Leaf with a 2019 model. This is supposed to have an ability to connect to WiFi (for map updates etc). When I got the car, this option was "on" and I could see various SSIDs including my home router and iPhone hotspot, but could not get a connection. I then (foolishly) turned WiFi off and now it won't turn back on again! So now I don't even see the SSIDs. I tried calling Nissan Customer "services", but they don't have a clue and said they would escalate to the Telematics team, who sent me a link on how to setup the Nissan Connect Service app (which I have got to work)!!!! Anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas?
Did you get anywhere?

I just tried to connect to WiFi and see if updates did anything. My WiFi was already off, and I can not turn it on. When I try by touching the ‘ON’ button on the screen, the bar turns white, but will not turn on.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get anywhere?

I just tried to connect to WiFi and see if updates did anything. My WiFi was already off, and I can not turn it on. When I try by touching the ‘ON’ button on the screen, the bar turns white, but will not turn on.

Malcolm

Same Here!
Just taken receipt of my Leaf E+ Tekna and although I can add my phone via the bluetooth screen, but if I go to the wifi tab, it's off and refuses to turn on. It knows I am pressing the 'Turn ON' option as the bar goes white whilst I hold my finger on it. However, no response. So if anyone finds out how, I'd be grateful too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi - I'm seeing the same behaviour on our 2019 UK model Leaf. Most times, the WiFi won't turn on. Occasionally, though, it will pick up some SSIDs from surrounding houses - though so far never our own, even when parked on the driveway within 20ft of the router. So not yet had the opportunity to try to make a connection. [And yes, I have the app running fine, for what it's worth!]. I'll take my place in the queue for a solution ;-)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Which WiFi type will it connect to? 2.4 ghz or 5ghz and will the security type affect whether it will?

if you can set a phone hotspot to have no password but can be limited to only the MAC address of the WiFi device in the leaf it would test whether it's the security that's the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not quite SUCCESS !!! 😃 I've got mine to switch "ON" and successfully connected the car to the home network. What did I do? If you look on the ceiling above driver / passenger map light bank, there is a grey plastic square with a button in the middle of it. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual, but it looks like there is a symbol with a car and wifi symbol. I pushed the button and went back to the connection menu and hey presto the wifi turned on! Now I can't say that it will solve everyone's wifi problem, but give it a try to see if it works for you.

EDIT - Well after a few attempts I discover the button in the ceiling is, in fact, the volumetric alarm disable button, so pets and people can stay in the car with the doors locked. The symbol is very close to a wifi symbol but on closer inspection which is a little hard in the driver's seat, you can see that it isn't a wifi symbol. My Wifi goes on and off at random, sometimes it will connect, others it won't have it. Another member of the forum said it might be connected to whether the car is plugged in or not. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SUCCESS !!! I pushed the button and went back to the connection menu and hey presto the wifi turned on! Now I can't say that it will solve everyone's wifi problem, but give it a try to see if it works for you.
You mean this one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK... finally got this figured!

To connect the WiFi, the ignition must be fully on. In the ACC mode, all you get is the unresponsive "WiFi on" bar on the display.

Only 2.4GHz is supported, BTW.

That hurdle over, I was back to seeing everyone else's WiFi but mine. Turns out it's because our WiFi was set to channel 13 (because of previous channel congestion round our way). Changed the WiFi hub to channel 11 and presto! there it was on the list. Popped in the password and it connected.

Why doesn't channel 13 work? Well, although in Europe channels go from 1 to 13 (and to 14 in Japan), Canada only has up to 12, and US only 11. Seems that no-one told UK LEAFS that we don't have US WiFi.

And what of that button on the ceiling? That turns off the internal alarm sensors. Switch the car off, dab the button, and when you lock the car it will give a quick chirp to confirm that any creatures lurking in the interior won't set off the alarm and wake the neighbours... but only until you unlock again.

Hope this helps!
AC

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Turns out it's because our WiFi was set to channel 13 (because of previous channel congestion round our way). Changed the WiFi hub to channel 11 and presto! there it was on the list. Popped in the password and it connected.
Indeed - it would be wise to fix the channel on the 2.4G, otherwise the router may well move to a channel where it can't be seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SUCCESS !!! 😃 I've got mine to switch "ON" and successfully connected the car to the home network. What did I do? If you look on the ceiling above driver / passenger map light bank, there is a grey plastic square with a button in the middle of it. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual, but it looks like there is a symbol with a car and wifi symbol. I pushed the button and went back to the connection menu and hey presto the wifi turned on! Now I can't say that it will solve everyone's wifi problem, but give it a try to see if it works for you.
Can you send a photo, can't find it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Eitan - there's a photo of the button MattSpark mentioned in post #8. However - from what I understand Matt had a lucky coincidence. [Assuming that button exists on models in your region] it just turns off the intrusion detectors for the alarm. See post #9 for what worked for me.

AC

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK... finally got this figured!

To connect the WiFi, the ignition must be fully on. In the ACC mode, all you get is the unresponsive "WiFi on" bar on the display.
With mine the WiFi will not turn on whether the car is in ACC mode or fully on and ready to drive. :(

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI after being unable to connect WiFi - I started having other issues with Infotainment system:

Rebooting while driving
Not switching to camera view when reversing
Lag in displaying car position by up to a minute in Carplay
Unreliable connection to WiFi (maybe the channel thing suggested earlier)
Sometimes unresponsive to manual controls for on off and volume, lagging by several seconds
Not initiating CarPlay when phone connected

So I took back to dealer and they said there is a fault! So the system is being replaced on Wednesday (has taken a few weeks to get the part) - will be interesting to see if this resolves the WiFi Connection issues. Will let you know.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It is interesting. I can't work out when it connects to WiFi. I have successfully got mine to connect, but when I look at the client list on the router, there is no mention of the car being connected. I suspect that the car doesn't stay connected if it is parked up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
just swapped my 2018 2.zero for a new 2019 Tekna....however, I have the same problem, wifi just shows the option to turn on, but you just can't press it on whether in acc mode or fully on....anyone know how to enable the wifi on?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It is interesting. I can't work out when it connects to WiFi. I have successfully got mine to connect, but when I look at the client list on the router, there is no mention of the car being connected. I suspect that the car doesn't stay connected if it is parked up.
The car will connect to your wifi when you turn the ignition on and it is in range.
You will see a short message saying "connected to XXXX" this will last a few seconds. if you are in range long enough and have the updates in auto mode it will look for it and install without the need for you to do anything.
Like an android phone when you plug the charger at home.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The car will connect to your wifi when you turn the ignition on and it is in range.
That's a bit of fail, Shirley.

It means that, if it is sat in the drive with poor mobile coverage, then WiFi doesn't help

1 - 20 of 38 Posts