Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I meant the hoose wifi not the hotspot in the phone.
Yes, so did I. If the mobile network (to the car) coverage is poor and the remote pre-heating control is therefore problematic, I'd hoped that the WiFi link would improve it, but if isn't connected then it can't.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yes, so did I. If the mobile network (to the car) coverage is poor and the remote pre-heating control is therefore problematic, I'd hoped that the WiFi link would improve it, but if isn't connected then it can't.
So that's the confusion.
The wifi doesn't link to the connectivity thingy :)
Wifi is just for software updates. I noticed that having the car parked away from the side of the hoose will make it a bit better but for the look of it everything goes as an excuse for it not to work.

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I took back to dealer and they said there is a fault! So the system is being replaced on Wednesday (has taken a few weeks to get the part) - will be interesting to see if this resolves the WiFi Connection issues. Will let you know.
Well looks like taking it back was a waste of time. After the first day I was phoned by the dealer to say they weren't replacing the unit as a Nissan technician wanted to take a look the following day. Apparently the technician did some "magic" which didn't require the unit to be replaced and now "everything would be working" ... except it isn't. As far as I can tell they only thing they succeeded in doing was setting my time zone 12 hours ahead, so the car charged in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night! Still can't connect to WiFi. Tried with car fully on and just electrics on. And we still sometimes have the lag between pressing volume or radio power before anything happens. Big deal? Well it is very distracting from driving when you expect something to happen and it doesn't. I have basically given up on CarPlay as again what you expect it to do and what happens is rarely the same thing and is also distracting when driving. The car seems to actually "play" nicer when connected via bluetooth without Carplay and I prefer my map on the phone rather than looking down at the car screen. Siri works etc. Phone call to Nissan dealer again this morning :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone fixed this yet. I took it to the dealer to get sorted and while ther and using a 50kWh charger everything worked fine. And I couldn’t get it to not work!

Is it a case that it needs a charger plugged in and the car turned on kinda thing. As it is meant to be software updates and the like, your phone for example it’ll only allow it when there is xx% charge and plugged in or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You mean this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, that's the one I THOUGHT it was, but it turns out it disables the volumetric alarm so pets and humans can be left in the car whilst the door is locked. So scrap that idea :) back to square one!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, that's the one I THOUGHT it was, but it turns out it disables the volumetric alarm so pets and humans can be left in the car whilst the door is locked. So scrap that idea :) back to square one!
Indeed, it is actually described in my handbook.

I have managed to connect to WiFi now, but only when the normal connection was down and the car symbol on the centre console had a line through it.

I suspect it is an either / or situation being connected through the inbuilt cellular, or WiFi but have yet or prove it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indeed, it is actually described in my handbook.

I have managed to connect to WiFi now, but only when the normal connection was down and the car symbol on the centre console had a line through it.

I suspect it is an either / or situation being connected through the inbuilt cellular, or WiFi but have yet or prove it.

Could be true, perhaps the car uses the 3G/4G mobile base in preference to the WiFi, but in my area all the mobile signals are weak, so the home WiFi would be much faster and stronger for it. I wonder whether there is an internal algorithm that decides WiFi or Mobile as the WiFi connection is so random?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We picked up a new Tekna e+ 62kW Leaf yesterday. I have the 'wifi issue'.
Earlier today I managed, somehow, to get the wifi to turn on. A whole list of SSIDs appeared, except our own. I set the iPhone up as a 'Personnel Hotspot' and that appeared immediately and disappeared when I turned it off. I had a look at the Broadband router setting; its set to select an automatic channel (set at 1) and the encryption when set to WPA. i changed that to WPA2; I thought I'd read somewhere that the Leaf didn't support WPA, but I don't know where I read that. When I got back to the car I couldn't start the wifi again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We picked up a new Tekna e+ 62kW Leaf yesterday. I have the 'wifi issue'.
Earlier today I managed, somehow, to get the wifi to turn on. A whole list of SSIDs appeared, except our own. I set the iPhone up as a 'Personnel Hotspot' and that appeared immediately and disappeared when I turned it off. I had a look at the Broadband router setting; its set to select an automatic channel (set at 1) and the encryption when set to WPA. i changed that to WPA2; I thought I'd read somewhere that the Leaf didn't support WPA, but I don't know where I read that. When I got back to the car I couldn't start the wifi again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
My current status is that after taking the car (2019 LEaf) back to my dealer (early January) the Nissan "main techie" came and "tweaked" it (even the dealer was not allowed to see what they did), it was supposed to be all fixed ... but the problem of connecting to WiFi is still there. (Note: I have managed to get a connection once or twice, just not repeatable). The dealer saw the fault again when I took the car back and was not happy on my behalf and said they would now contact Nissan again to get the (£4,000 - really!) Infotainment unit replaced (as promised the first time) ... but Nissan apparently have (yet another) software patch coming "soon" (no date given) and they want to try that as they are worried that replacing the ("very expensive hardware") unit will not fix the issue! <sigh> I just hope this is not the same programming team responsible for Pro-Drive and the AEB!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have leased my wife a Leaf. I am having the Random Wifi Issue. Some days it there, some days its not. I am also trying to get the App connected. Its all a little frustrating. Do we know if this is a hardware fault or a some kind of bug?

Its kinda the opposite of my Tesla, which was effortless. Just connect and it all works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I assume that you have clocked the earlier comments about the WiFi channel needing to be away from the top end? I found that I had to turn off auto channel select on the router and peg it to a fixed channel - 8 works for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WiFi and app just don’t work. If I try to update maps it says my subscription has expired. Dealer and Nissan can’t explain why, but is this part of the problem or another fault?
Would like an explanation of how I get a subscription but told by Nissan they are waiting for help above.
The dealers are baffled and the poor Nissan help line just add another email note to the ongoing complaint.

After months of trying to fix problems still no further forward. This is crazy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I assume that you have clocked the earlier comments about the WiFi channel needing to be away from the top end? I found that I had to turn off auto channel select on the router and peg it to a fixed channel - 8 works for me.
Accepted wisdom is that you should always use channels 1, 6 or 11: they are three non-overlapping channels that if everyone stuck to would give better overall performance. Run a scan and use the least-crowded one of those three at your location. See here, for example.

Using channel 8 is both dumping and picking up noise from both 6 and 11.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I am seeing no SSID's at all, Its like the Wifi is not even enabled.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I did have my WiFi working and have connected to it and could also see a host of neighbours SSIDs too. But now I can 't turn the WiFi on at all. However the car is forever nagging me to connect to bluetooth while blanking out the map screen yet that is switched off, but somehow seems to just turn itself back on. What a mess!
If the WiFi doesn't work I suppose the maps and software updates that rely on it CANNOT be updated.

·
Registered
893 Posts
WiFi and app just don’t work. If I try to update maps it says my subscription has expired. Dealer and Nissan can’t explain why, but is this part of the problem or another fault?
Would like an explanation of how I get a subscription but told by Nissan they are waiting for help above.
The dealers are baffled and the poor Nissan help line just add another email note to the ongoing complaint.

After months of trying to fix problems still no further forward. This is crazy!
I've had no problems connecting to wifi but some similar probs with the app. see :-
I only managed to partially activate the car's systems but that did eventually include navigation updates. Before that function was activated, I too was being told my subscription had expired; after that function was activated I was able to update the satnav data.

But updating over wifi isn't the only route. I believe it's also possible to update from a usb stick and if the wifi won't work then the very least you should expect of your dealer is to get it updated that way. Don't get too excited about updates though - apparently TomTom only update their systems twice a year (which of course is twice more than the older Nissan satnavs and my 40kWh Leaf started life with data that was 3 years out of date. Had to laugh when I was told today "Regarding the map information in your vehicle, as your vehicle is brand new the navigation information in your vehicle is the most up to date" ! Perhaps a new starter on the 'helpdesk' ?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Accepted wisdom is that you should always use channels 1, 6 or 11: they are three non-overlapping channels that if everyone stuck to would give better overall performance. Run a scan and use the least-crowded one of those three at your location. See here, for example.

Using channel 8 is both dumping and picking up noise from both 6 and 11.
6 and 11? I have 2 WAP's - the other WiFi signal spreads across 8 channels!

·
Registered
18 Posts
6 and 11? I have 2 WAP's - the other WiFi signal spreads across 8 channels!
If you're talking 2.4GHz, you should also only use 20MHz bandwidth, not 40MHz.

I've set up an 8-AP system in my church building with the 2.4GHz channels on 1, 6 and 11, such that adjacent APs are always on different channels (that is, same-channel APs are some distance apart from each other) and it works brilliantly. The other key tip is to keep transmit power from the APs as low as possible so your device doesn't pick up loads of different signals. This church setup is in a fairly congested area with lots of neighbouring Sky boxes and direct-connect printers shouting from all over the place: you can't see the church signal more than a few metres from the building, but connectivity and roaming is perfect inside.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts