Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Nissan Leaf 2019 Can't Connect to WiFi

34K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  GlynLeaf 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently replaced my 2018 Nissan Leaf with a 2019 model. This is supposed to have an ability to connect to WiFi (for map updates etc). When I got the car, this option was "on" and I could see various SSIDs including my home router and iPhone hotspot, but could not get a connection. I then (foolishly) turned WiFi off and now it won't turn back on again! So now I don't even see the SSIDs. I tried calling Nissan Customer "services", but they don't have a clue and said they would escalate to the Telematics team, who sent me a link on how to setup the Nissan Connect Service app (which I have got to work)!!!! Anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas?

#2 ·
Hi, I recently replaced my 2018 Nissan Leaf with a 2019 model. This is supposed to have an ability to connect to WiFi (for map updates etc). When I got the car, this option was "on" and I could see various SSIDs including my home router and iPhone hotspot, but could not get a connection. I then (foolishly) turned WiFi off and now it won't turn back on again! So now I don't even see the SSIDs. I tried calling Nissan Customer "services", but they don't have a clue and said they would escalate to the Telematics team, who sent me a link on how to setup the Nissan Connect Service app (which I have got to work)!!!! Anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas?
Did you get anywhere?

I just tried to connect to WiFi and see if updates did anything. My WiFi was already off, and I can not turn it on. When I try by touching the ‘ON’ button on the screen, the bar turns white, but will not turn on.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Same Here!
Just taken receipt of my Leaf E+ Tekna and although I can add my phone via the bluetooth screen, but if I go to the wifi tab, it's off and refuses to turn on. It knows I am pressing the 'Turn ON' option as the bar goes white whilst I hold my finger on it. However, no response. So if anyone finds out how, I'd be grateful too!

#4 ·
Hi - I'm seeing the same behaviour on our 2019 UK model Leaf. Most times, the WiFi won't turn on. Occasionally, though, it will pick up some SSIDs from surrounding houses - though so far never our own, even when parked on the driveway within 20ft of the router. So not yet had the opportunity to try to make a connection. [And yes, I have the app running fine, for what it's worth!]. I'll take my place in the queue for a solution ;-)

#5 ·
Which WiFi type will it connect to? 2.4 ghz or 5ghz and will the security type affect whether it will?

if you can set a phone hotspot to have no password but can be limited to only the MAC address of the WiFi device in the leaf it would test whether it's the security that's the issue.

#6 · (Edited)
Not quite SUCCESS !!! ? I've got mine to switch "ON" and successfully connected the car to the home network. What did I do? If you look on the ceiling above driver / passenger map light bank, there is a grey plastic square with a button in the middle of it. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual, but it looks like there is a symbol with a car and wifi symbol. I pushed the button and went back to the connection menu and hey presto the wifi turned on! Now I can't say that it will solve everyone's wifi problem, but give it a try to see if it works for you.

EDIT - Well after a few attempts I discover the button in the ceiling is, in fact, the volumetric alarm disable button, so pets and people can stay in the car with the doors locked. The symbol is very close to a wifi symbol but on closer inspection which is a little hard in the driver's seat, you can see that it isn't a wifi symbol. My Wifi goes on and off at random, sometimes it will connect, others it won't have it. Another member of the forum said it might be connected to whether the car is plugged in or not. I'll give it a try.

#9 ·
OK... finally got this figured!

To connect the WiFi, the ignition must be fully on. In the ACC mode, all you get is the unresponsive "WiFi on" bar on the display.

Only 2.4GHz is supported, BTW.

That hurdle over, I was back to seeing everyone else's WiFi but mine. Turns out it's because our WiFi was set to channel 13 (because of previous channel congestion round our way). Changed the WiFi hub to channel 11 and presto! there it was on the list. Popped in the password and it connected.

Why doesn't channel 13 work? Well, although in Europe channels go from 1 to 13 (and to 14 in Japan), Canada only has up to 12, and US only 11. Seems that no-one told UK LEAFS that we don't have US WiFi.

And what of that button on the ceiling? That turns off the internal alarm sensors. Switch the car off, dab the button, and when you lock the car it will give a quick chirp to confirm that any creatures lurking in the interior won't set off the alarm and wake the neighbours... but only until you unlock again.

Hope this helps!
AC

#10 ·
Turns out it's because our WiFi was set to channel 13 (because of previous channel congestion round our way). Changed the WiFi hub to channel 11 and presto! there it was on the list. Popped in the password and it connected.
Indeed - it would be wise to fix the channel on the 2.4G, otherwise the router may well move to a channel where it can't be seen.

#14 ·
FYI after being unable to connect WiFi - I started having other issues with Infotainment system:

Rebooting while driving
Not switching to camera view when reversing
Lag in displaying car position by up to a minute in Carplay
Unreliable connection to WiFi (maybe the channel thing suggested earlier)
Sometimes unresponsive to manual controls for on off and volume, lagging by several seconds
Not initiating CarPlay when phone connected

So I took back to dealer and they said there is a fault! So the system is being replaced on Wednesday (has taken a few weeks to get the part) - will be interesting to see if this resolves the WiFi Connection issues. Will let you know.

#16 ·
It is interesting. I can't work out when it connects to WiFi. I have successfully got mine to connect, but when I look at the client list on the router, there is no mention of the car being connected. I suspect that the car doesn't stay connected if it is parked up.

#18 ·
The car will connect to your wifi when you turn the ignition on and it is in range.
You will see a short message saying "connected to XXXX" this will last a few seconds. if you are in range long enough and have the updates in auto mode it will look for it and install without the need for you to do anything.
Like an android phone when you plug the charger at home.

#24 ·
Anyone fixed this yet. I took it to the dealer to get sorted and while ther and using a 50kWh charger everything worked fine. And I couldn’t get it to not work!

Is it a case that it needs a charger plugged in and the car turned on kinda thing. As it is meant to be software updates and the like, your phone for example it’ll only allow it when there is xx% charge and plugged in or something.

#28 · (Edited)
We picked up a new Tekna e+ 62kW Leaf yesterday. I have the 'wifi issue'.
Earlier today I managed, somehow, to get the wifi to turn on. A whole list of SSIDs appeared, except our own. I set the iPhone up as a 'Personnel Hotspot' and that appeared immediately and disappeared when I turned it off. I had a look at the Broadband router setting; its set to select an automatic channel (set at 1) and the encryption when set to WPA. i changed that to WPA2; I thought I'd read somewhere that the Leaf didn't support WPA, but I don't know where I read that. When I got back to the car I couldn't start the wifi again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#29 ·
My current status is that after taking the car (2019 LEaf) back to my dealer (early January) the Nissan "main techie" came and "tweaked" it (even the dealer was not allowed to see what they did), it was supposed to be all fixed ... but the problem of connecting to WiFi is still there. (Note: I have managed to get a connection once or twice, just not repeatable). The dealer saw the fault again when I took the car back and was not happy on my behalf and said they would now contact Nissan again to get the (£4,000 - really!) Infotainment unit replaced (as promised the first time) ... but Nissan apparently have (yet another) software patch coming "soon" (no date given) and they want to try that as they are worried that replacing the ("very expensive hardware") unit will not fix the issue! <sigh> I just hope this is not the same programming team responsible for Pro-Drive and the AEB!!

#30 ·
I have leased my wife a Leaf. I am having the Random Wifi Issue. Some days it there, some days its not. I am also trying to get the App connected. Its all a little frustrating. Do we know if this is a hardware fault or a some kind of bug?

Its kinda the opposite of my Tesla, which was effortless. Just connect and it all works perfectly.

#31 ·
I assume that you have clocked the earlier comments about the WiFi channel needing to be away from the top end? I found that I had to turn off auto channel select on the router and peg it to a fixed channel - 8 works for me.

#33 ·
Accepted wisdom is that you should always use channels 1, 6 or 11: they are three non-overlapping channels that if everyone stuck to would give better overall performance. Run a scan and use the least-crowded one of those three at your location. See here, for example.

Using channel 8 is both dumping and picking up noise from both 6 and 11.

#32 ·
WiFi and app just don’t work. If I try to update maps it says my subscription has expired. Dealer and Nissan can’t explain why, but is this part of the problem or another fault?
Would like an explanation of how I get a subscription but told by Nissan they are waiting for help above.
The dealers are baffled and the poor Nissan help line just add another email note to the ongoing complaint.

After months of trying to fix problems still no further forward. This is crazy!

#36 ·
I've had no problems connecting to wifi but some similar probs with the app. see :-
I only managed to partially activate the car's systems but that did eventually include navigation updates. Before that function was activated, I too was being told my subscription had expired; after that function was activated I was able to update the satnav data.

But updating over wifi isn't the only route. I believe it's also possible to update from a usb stick and if the wifi won't work then the very least you should expect of your dealer is to get it updated that way. Don't get too excited about updates though - apparently TomTom only update their systems twice a year (which of course is twice more than the older Nissan satnavs and my 40kWh Leaf started life with data that was 3 years out of date. Had to laugh when I was told today "Regarding the map information in your vehicle, as your vehicle is brand new the navigation information in your vehicle is the most up to date" ! Perhaps a new starter on the 'helpdesk' ?

#35 ·
I did have my WiFi working and have connected to it and could also see a host of neighbours SSIDs too. But now I can 't turn the WiFi on at all. However the car is forever nagging me to connect to bluetooth while blanking out the map screen yet that is switched off, but somehow seems to just turn itself back on. What a mess!
If the WiFi doesn't work I suppose the maps and software updates that rely on it CANNOT be updated.

#40 · (Edited)
I fixed the problem for my leaf to connect to the wifi. 2020 Nissan Leaf e+ Tekna 62KWH
My leaf wouldn't connect to my Virgin Media hub 3.0 and nor to my mobile phone hotspot so i knew it was a problem was with the leaf even though the leaf could scan and display the networks, it would try to connect but fail.

The Nissan Connect Manual 3-18 explains "The system can only connect to a WPA2 security network (it will not connect to WEP, WPA1 networks)."

So I looked on the bottom of my router to login to my routers settings page from my laptops internet browser using http://192.168.0.1 and the settings password (whilst you are here, you should change this and write your new settings password on your router to prevent such malware as a Mirai Bot installing itself on your network)

I navigated to the Advanced settings where i noticed my router was transmitting on both WPA and WPA2 with lots of devices connected to the router. I then saw the "Guest network" option which I was able to select WPA2-PSK only and then enable (instead of WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK).

I found the new network (it will display as an alternative network like hotels have for guests) and it connected quickly.

This created a dedicated wifi path for my leaf where no other devices could interfere.
I hope it works for you. Good luck

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.