Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I being daft here, or is there a step I’m missing?

There’s a free charging point near my home (in a train station car park) that’s listed as a 22kw Type 2 (it says FAST on the CPS app). I’ve visited it twice now, and it will only charge my Leaf at 6kw. It’s painfully slow, so I’ve given up both times.

The thing is, I’ve used other 22kw chargers (I used one yesterday) and they charge much quicker. Is there a step I’m missing - a setting in the car - that I need to activate, in order to get it to charge at the faster speed? Or is it likely a charge point issue?

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I don’t think the Leaf has 22kw AC charging, that’s the Zoe’s territory?

You should be getting a max of 6.6kw on a Type 2 AC charger.

What speed do you recall getting previously?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Type 2 AC charging is definitely limited to 6.6kW on the LEAF: this is limited by the AC-to-DC converter built into the car. If you charged quicker than that previously, it would have been DC charging using the CHAdeMO socket.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Some posts labelled as 6 or 7kW actually only charge at 3.3kW. But it is not possible to achieve higher charging rates at an AC post on a Leaf.

Reactions: copydeskcat

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I know the on-board is only 6kw.

I charged yesterday at a 22kwh charger and it charged quickly. I was away under 90mins and it went from 60% to 86%. I was using the Type 2, not the CHaDeMo.

On this other 22kwh charger, it was going to take 4-6 hours to do the same using the type 2.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Perhaps you started the charge with more charge already in the car so would have suffered tapering off and cell balancing at the higher precentages.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. Although, I’ve used this charger twice now - and it’s been the same both times, at different charge levels in the car.

·
Registered
17,466 Posts
I charged yesterday at a 22kwh charger and it charged quickly. I was away under 90mins and it went from 60% to 86%. I was using the Type 2, not the CHaDeMo.
That would work out as 6.9 kW assuming 40 kWh usable battery. Not 22kW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also worth noting that some public 'fast' type 2 chargers do load sharing with other sockets in the same facility.
When testing recently I could only get 16amps out of a 7kw charge point, because another car was already charging on the other socket which was also labeled 7kw. So it became 7kw shared between 2 points.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It's only 22kw if your car has a 3-phase 32A onboard charger, which the Leaf doesn't.
Well it nearly does :unsure: Regen must produce a 3ph current that gets rectified en route to battery; shame there's no connection between AC input for the other two phases.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,276 Posts
Well it nearly does :unsure: Regen must produce a 3ph current that gets rectified en route to battery; shame there's no connection between AC input for the other two phases.
Regen is DC-DC so will produce larger amounts. I've seen 38 kW with a good downhill with Zoe. The Leaf will be capable of the probably the same (maybe more as it is a heavier car).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts