Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

forum newbie here. I’m contemplating buying a Nissan Leaf under the current Nissan UK offer, which is up to £2000 dealer contribution and £3500 government contribution - the dealer contribution only applies if you trade in a vehicle that was registered before 20th Dec 2012. The car has to be ordered and registered before 31st March 2020.

I have a qualifying vehicle to trade in, and I’m interested in either a Leaf Accenta or an N-Connecta.

I’m interested to know if anyone has any experience of this deal or have purchased a Leaf recently. The reason I ask is that the basic finance calculator on their website only applies £1000 contribution from the dealer, not £2000 (which is contrary to the T&Cs on the website).

I’ve spent the last few weeks doing all the relevant research on Leafs, so I’m pretty much up to speed on everything else I need to know - and will be test driving one tomorrow (Sat 18th).

Any intel on the financials would be very helpful.

Best,

CDC

·
Registered
321 Posts
What's the actual 'deal'. Bear in mind most manufacturer trade in schemes are just a method to drive more sales. Go into it with your eyes wide open and aware there are a lot more models coming onto the market in the next 24 months.

They won't tell you what you'd expect to sell it for in 12 months time. answers on a postcard...? You could (independently) get a PCP quote for the same car and find out what the GFV would be after 3 years. That would be due diligence that I would obtain, even as a cash buyer. Or look at PCH where you don't even care about the future value of the car, and aim to track/beat the depreciation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnny. I’m up to speed on how the whole PCP/PCH/GFV works, having had many cars on similar deals going back to Choices and Options deals in the early 90s. I’m mostly curious as to why they’re promoting it as £2k contribution, then only showing it as £1k when you calculate the finance. I’ll push them on it tomorrow. At the end of the day, no-one beats the bookie - you just have to be happy that the deal works for you, but the more they put in, the better the monthly outlay is for me (even though it’s ultimately all smoke and mirrors - it’s mostly about feeling that you’ve got the best deal you can possibly get).

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
. . . . I’m mostly curious as to why they’re promoting it as £2k contribution, then only showing it as £1k when you calculate the finance.
I'm sure I remember reading on one of the SpeakEV pages that launching a PCP then buying it out after one month would let you benefit from Nissan's "deposit contribution". However, having looked into it a bit more carefully, the PCP calculation seems to start from a base price that is £1000 more than the cash price !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s how the current deal works:

if you buy the car outright with a Nissan finance loan you get £2k from the dealer towards it. Of course, the interest on the loan effectively gets them their £2k (and more) back. this is dependent on trading in a vehicle that was registered before 20 December 2012.

If you take a PCP or a PCH deal, you get £1k from the dealer. Again, this is generally offset by the interest on the deal (which is usually significantly lower than the APR on a finance loan), as they have the future value of the car as collateral.

As I said above, no-one beats the bookie. If it drops out of column A, it goes back into column B. You have to be happy that you’re getting a good deal.

I’ve ordered an nConnecta Pearl Black on a four year PCP. I won’t go into the financials, but I didn’t trade in my car - as I’m going to pass it on to my son. I’m happy making a contribution to the deposit (but not too much, as all you’re doing with a deposit is sinking good money into the depreciation value - which ultimately goes to the future dealer of the car, and not you). I couldn’t get the standard red, as it was on back order showing as June delivery. I’m sure if I’d pushed I would have got it. The car should be available within the next two weeks. Possibly earlier.

The way PCP works now, they’ll do a checkup on my deal in three years and offer me a new car at a similar monthly outgoing.

I’m looking forward to joining the world of EVs. Just need to sort my home charger now (looking at Chargemaster, but I’ve also declared interest in OVO’s V2G scheme).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
if you buy the car outright with a Nissan finance loan you get £2k from the dealer towards it.
As I said above, no-one beats the bookie.
Ah, but you can. With HP you can pay it off in full without penalty (at least at the moment, from EU law). So, you can take the King's shilling, take out a cheap lone with Sainsbury's or similar, and pay off the Nissan loan. It works, I've done it and so have other members of my family.

In fact, it was the Nissan salesman that tipped me off: "I'll get fired if they find out I told you this, but ..."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. True. Approx £25k though. Nice if you have it to hand or you’re happy to saddle yourself with a long-term low interest loan.

Not so great to pay back over eight years - as opposed to paying back half the finance over four.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts