Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
yeah so your battery seems similar to mine with ~330 gids and 25.7kwh. As for the variation in SoH, you'll find if you do a few rapid charges you'll get it up to 92-93%, and then i'll creep back down when using the normal charger. Mine settles around 90 with the normal charger, but will make its way up to 92 or so if i rapid charge it

I usually set the cruise to 77, as that generally matches 70mph on the GPS.

I guess i've just accepted that my typical routes and driving style mean the car isnt that efficient. Clearly if its a fault i'd want to fix it, but it doesnt actually seem like thats the case, and instead the LEAF simply isnt that great at high speeds. Then from time to time i see folk suggesting they are indeed getting 100+ miles of range doing actual motorway speeds and leaves me thinking "How?!"

I'd quite like to try some of the Kia/Hyundai models that seem to manage much better efficiencies and see if it holds true with those too, or if they do infact manage to perform better, but they're so supply constrained that arranging any sort of lengthy test drive seems near impossible.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
994 Posts

I guess i've just accepted that my typical routes and driving style mean the car isnt that efficient. Clearly if its a fault i'd want to fix it, but it doesnt actually seem like thats the case, and instead the LEAF simply isnt that great at high speeds. Then from time to time i see folk suggesting they are indeed getting 100+ miles of range doing actual motorway speeds and leaves me thinking "How?!"
It was 76 for me that matched 70 on my GPS. Though as I said in my earlier posts in this thread, I was doing my 100+ miles at an indicated 70, not a true 70.

If you want better efficency, slow down. Even that small difference between GPS and the car speed of 70 makes a fairly significant difference (this is the case on all EVs, to answer your question) and your desire to travel at a true 70 really isn't going to make the journey much quicker at all.

Doing an indicated 70 I have always moved faster than HGVs, and have never felt like I wasn't keeping up with the flow of traffic or holding others up. Plenty of other cars (both ICE and EV) also over read speeds by varying amounts too. There's likely nothing wrong with your car at all, just your driving style is not optimised for EV Efficiency.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
yeah so your battery seems similar to mine with ~330 gids and 25.7kwh. As for the variation in SoH, you'll find if you do a few rapid charges you'll get it up to 92-93%, and then i'll creep back down when using the normal charger. Mine settles around 90 with the normal charger, but will make its way up to 92 or so if i rapid charge it
I think this just confirms the Leaf's BMS's SoH algorithm is a bit flaky.... it shouldn't be making constant upwards and downwards corrections in its estimations on a daily basis depending on the method of charging. Cells only ever get worse, not better, unless replaced. I didn't see any of this sort of shenanigans on the Ion - and I watched the Ah capacity on that like a hawk as the battery degraded.

It does call into question the accuracy of how much capacity there really is in the battery vs what the BMS thinks there is. By the way, does yours have the updated BMS firmware which "corrects" the reported SoH curve ? I'm guessing so otherwise your reported SoH would be much lower by now. Mine does have the updated firmware, probably from the factory based on the date of manufacture.
I don't usually go quite that fast, perhaps 3 years of driving an Ion has conditioned me to drive a bit slower - 60mph is my "default" speed on the motorway if the left lane flows nicely at this speed however I will go up to 70 if the traffic demands it now that I have more range at my disposal.
It's all relative, the Ion had a much more dramatic drop off in efficiency between 50-70mph than the Leaf, I can tell you that for sure. At 50mph the Ion could do over 5 miles/kWh but at 70 it was more like 3.7 miles/kWh. Huge fall off. More efficient than the Leaf at 50mph, less efficient at 70mph.

Unless you want to stick to the overtaking lane (naughty) most of the motorways I usually drive on don't flow at 70mph anyway. I typically end up doing 60-70 indicated. And at those speeds I can get a bit over 100 miles.
I'd quite like to try some of the Kia/Hyundai models that seem to manage much better efficiencies and see if it holds true with those too, or if they do infact manage to perform better, but they're so supply constrained that arranging any sort of lengthy test drive seems near impossible.
From everything I've seen the Kia/Hyundai's genuinely do achieve amazingly high efficiency compared to the Leaf and most other EV's, even at high speeds. I would have had an Ioniq instead of a Leaf in a flash, but 2nd hand it was at least another £7k more expensive than the Leaf (and harder to find) so out of my reach. I'm hoping by the time the Leaf is ready to go the 2nd hand e-Niro's will be down into my price range - that would be a pretty much ideal family EV for us. The Leaf 30 has always been a stepping stone for me to fill the gap while the market evolves, not an end in itself. Apart from some problems with the comfort of the drivers seat I'm still very happy with my purchase. For the minor flaws it does have it's still worlds away from the Ion which was basically the 2CV of BEV's.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i suspect the point is the battery does take on different amounts of energy depending how its charged, temperatures etc etc. Theres also bound to be error that creeps in, so it makes sense to constantly recalculate based on the available info i think?

Mine is a 2017 so has the "6A" firmware that wasnt broken.

And yeah, i suspect the reality is most folk that say they can get 100miles are doing as you describe, fluctuating between an indicated 60 and 70 and not actually doing a real and sustained 70mph at all, which was the point i made at the start of this discussion.

For me the biggest surprise was the comparison with the B250e, which on paper had significantly less range, and is mooted to be a fairly inefficient EV, but on the road that difference isnt realised. I guess that meant my expectations for the LEAF went the other way from yours. The B250e didnt really have enough range, 80miles gets quite irritating. I moved to the leaf (much like you, as a stop gap, because theres not much choice, and the lease was up on the Merc) expecting 100 based on the EPA/NEDC comparisons between the two cars, and thinking that while still poor, at least its a modest improvement, and instead still ended up with 80miles. At least it can rapid charge unlike the Merc which does make it far more useful though.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts