Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a rolec charger installed (feathered) type 2. When I use granny cable it's fine but when I use feathered cable from rolec (type2) with type 2 to type 1 conversion lead that nissan give me it doesn't work? Any help please

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The lead will never work as the Type2 interface requires input that your car and that lead dont have. Youd need to take a chance with an adapter like this...
Or more cost effectively change the tethered lead on your existing unit to a Type 1. They are available at lower cost than the above on eBay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your swift response I will have a look at both options. I take it you mean there is a signal wire missing from the lead off nissan that is in the teathered cable?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks for your swift response I will have a look at both options. I take it you mean there is a signal wire missing from the lead off nissan that is in the teathered cable?
Strictly that's not the issue - the standard for the untethered cables is that they cannot be used as an extension for another cable (as the plugs aren't waterproof and there would be issues with the control of the maximum current), so the pilot pin is deliberately short at the plug so that it doesn't connect. The converter lead is arguably not strictly inside the rules, but it does work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilliant that makes perfect sense as I ran a continuity test on the added cable which was fine and wondered why one of the pins was short. I originally thought it was pushed in and possibly faulty but couldn't open it up due to not having any 5 point tamper proof bits.
Thanks 👌

1 - 6 of 6 Posts