Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some threads around Nissan leaf vehicle to grid (V2g) but I'm trying to figure out if it can do v2l, like the new ioniq5 for example.

I like the idea of going on a day trip, and being able to plug in something like a George Foreman grill using the battery power from the car. Is this even possible for the leaf? The fact it can do v2g leaves me optimistic, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
In theory, you could buy a suitably rated inverter and clip the croc leads directly onto the 12v DC battery which would give a 240V AC outlet to plug mains items into. That could be expensive as the GF grill can pull 2400 watts which is 10 amps and such inverters can be pricey. Then leave the car switched on so that the DC to DC converter keeps working to maintain voltage in the 12v battery. That system has been used by a lot of people to enable the EV to run essential items in a house during a power outage.

Yinleader car power inverter 3000W /6000W DC 12V to AC 230V 240V soft start with LED display USB 3.1A charger caravan camping boat: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
The above solution is the simplest as the car has an inbuilt charger for the 12V capable of at least 1kW. It is slightly inelegant going from c. 400V > 12V > 230v but works. The work necessary to directly attach to the traction battery is significant and will of course enable drive in a similar way. The only issue is that your grill uses slightly over a kW so you still risk running the 12v down slightly but it will recover.

·
Banned
367 Posts
These are my 3 options:

-Cheapest solution: if you want to carry a grill, buy a charcoal grill and some charcoal. Best BBQ, beats any electric grill.
Be careful not to start a wildfire, make sure there is no wood or grass around and always have a bucket of water ready.

-Next cheapest solution: Use a 12V battery + inverter as others suggested above. I suggest a pure sine wave inverter to avoid damage electronics. Consider using a solar inverter, just look them up on ebay "hybrid inverter pure sine wave", but you'll have to connect a socket yourself.

-The expensive solution:
There exists a ready-made product, the Setec V2H unit, but it's insanely expensive (about £3k). Still cheaper than buying an Ioniq 5, I guess.
I wonder why Nissan doesn't offer something like this for sale.

·
Banned
367 Posts
In 2017, some Dutch guys demonstrated the Leaf inflating a bouncing castle using the Setec system:

4 years later, Hyundai does the same as if they had invented the wheel:

The only novelty is that it's an onboard system, so you'll be paying for it whether you need it or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts