Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all - any idea where I can get a 3 pin charging cable in the UK for a 2013 Nissan Leaf? I opted for the 6.6 KW on board charger so it came with the 7 pin 32 amp cable which is great 90% of the time. But would like the option to use a standard socket - I presume this would still work. Many thanks.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It would still work Alistair.

There are a few options.

The first is to buy directly from Nissan. It isn't cheap but it is a neat package and not a bad option.

You can buy from other manufacturers such as Vauxhall. I am not sure of prices but any J1772 10A EVSE should work.

The third is to build your own. If you have the interest and some basic DIY/electrical skills then you can buy the parts and build your own. The big benefit of that is that you can also use it at 16A and up to 32A with the correct cables/sockets providing they are all correctly rated for a continuous power rating. There are a few on here that have built there own so perhaps they could help if that interests you.

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Price to build your own varies massively on would controller you use. The one Kevin's company makes is probably the most cost effect one out there at around £90 Siemens are in excess of £500. With all the other bits it will cost around £300 and would be more versatile than the Nissan brick

However since the zerocarbon world shop shut he will have to tell you where you can get them from.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Dave Davis (Twitter @dodavid) has built his own by importing the bits from the USA IIRC and it sounds like it didn't cost the earth either :)

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your responses. I have just got the quote back from the Nissan dealership...£400 each. Can anyone explain why they are so expensive!
Unfortunately I am no sparky so I think DIY is out of the question or I could forfeit my life insurance.
£90 from the Zerocarbon world shop sounds perfect but sad to hear it is no longer open. Kevin - can you let me know where you got yours from? I may do a bulk purchase and start my own shop :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 3 pin lead is known as the EVSE Brick due to the box in the middle of the cable. That houses the EVSE protocol module - the brains of ANY charging station; as we discussed in the video thats JUST the protocol module thats £90 is; you need a relay and an RCD and the cables in and out. A self build charging station is going to be circa £300-£400k all built.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The MSRP for the EPC is £79 + VAT and I should have a price for the EPC + Cable kits next week.

A friend paid £40 on ebay recently for a 40A contractor, waterproof box, and 32A RCBO.

Mainpine has ~5 UK resellers and I'm just waiting for the ok from sales to publish details :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm also on the lookout for a waterproof three-pin charging solution having the 6.6kW option as well.

At the moment it's looking like the Ampera cable will have to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts