Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised I have now posted up my 'Nissan Leaf 30kW - 250 Mile 1st Drive' video as a follow up to 'EV Virgin Buys Nissan Leaf'.

With a 250 mile 1st drive to get the car home I decided to use the time to record my first impressions of the car as well as how I planned and managed my maiden rapid charging experience:

I dont mention any 'clockodometers' in this video but can't promise not to talk guff at some point (or indeed all the way through) !! Feel free to like, subscribe to the channel etc as it all helps climb the YouTube mountain that is now required in order to join their partner program.

Still waiting for Octopus to fit my new smart meter (its booked for late April subject to lockdown restrictions) - i'll no doubt pull together a video on this but will post up some additional content in the meantime.

Stay safe and healthy !!!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
109 Posts
Good video @Emilian keep it up!!
I'm really enjoying the Leaf over here although haven't done much driving in the last couple of days.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Enjoyed the vid. You were very brave to actually document your first long trip for all to see.
I got my 30 leaf three years ago and my first long trip took lots of planning and app downloads.
In that three years the charger network has improved.
FYI you can generally get 1 mile per 1% driving sensibly. You will also see an improvement in range as the battery gets warmer.
My regular London trip includes 2 rapids after starting with 100%. 72 miles/85 miles/83 miles arrive with 15% I only charge to 85-95% that last 5-10% can take a long time.
If you use the percentage display in conjunction with the trip meter this is more accurate than the GOM.
Winter 3-3.5 miles per kWh Summer 4-4.5 miles per kWh use B mode all the time.
Enjoy your leaf.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
As promised I have now posted up my 'Nissan Leaf 30kW - 250 Mile 1st Drive' video..............
Such journeys are now a lot easier than they were four years ago. I realise that the car will now probably stay well within range and such road trips not be required from now. But for the benefit of other new EVers it should be mentioned that usually, the most time efficient way to cover distance is to run the battery as low as possible, ( without losing a safety margin) and to only charge to 80% at each stop. This is because the rate of transfer tails off a lot after 80%. Meaning that it can take as long to get from 80% to 95% as it did to get from 20% to 80%. If time is important it can be a better strategy to plan to stop charging at 80% even if that means more charge stops. Just an observation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Such journeys are now a lot easier than they were four years ago. I realise that the car will now probably stay well within range and such road trips not be required from now. But for the benefit of other new EVers it should be mentioned that usually, the most time efficient way to cover distance is to run the battery as low as possible, ( without losing a safety margin) and to only charge to 80% at each stop. This is because the rate of transfer tails off a lot after 80%. Meaning that it can take as long to get from 80% to 95% as it did to get from 20% to 80%. If time is important it can be a better strategy to plan to stop charging at 80% even if that means more charge stops. Just an observation.
Thats a great point and one which I noted on the day - keep in mind this was my collection day and return drive home so i was learning as I was going. I will add some commentary to the video description (or feel free to point this out in the comments - comments also help youtube algorithms). I also fancy you've given me a topic for another video or at least part of !! Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts